Do you use either Alamo or National Car rental ?

DVCDAVE

ANC rental, parent company of both National and Alamo rental car filed for Bankruptcy protection under chapter 11 yesterday November 13th. The company added that all reservations will be honored and operations will continue uninterupted. The company sited a dramatic reduction of activity after September 11th.

I would suggest you reconfirm your ressie anyway, just to be on the safe side. It wouldn't hurt.

Yep, heard this on the news this morning.. we always use Alamo in Florida! National is our company's prefered supplier for car rentals!

MJ

I think National and Alamo will both survive and continue honoring ressies. Remember the car rental companies didn't get the federal bailout, and these were two companies that waved drop off fees and provided their customers with outstanding service ofter 9-11. They are probably only the first of all the major rental companies to look for some protection.

Had a National car rental in Austin TX over this past weekend. We arriced at 1PM on Saturday and they were a bunch of cars over on the return side, but only 7 cars on EA, and the biggest was a Grand Am. Most of the cars interiors were dirty and the car we ended up with had only 1/8 tank of gas in it. This is the third time, and last, that I've used National, I'm going back to Avis or Dollar.

OMG! This can't be happening. I am in a dream....

ToN *gone*
Timekeeper *gone*
National *dirty*

WHEN WILL I WAKE UP!!!

*slap*

If you are uncomfortable with Alamo or National, use Travelocity.com to see what discounts other car rental companies have.

Do not rent a car with less than a quarter tankful of gas, unless they give you an additional discount. It is impossible to return it with that same amount of gas and without fear of running out.

Also if the tank is not full it should be noted as going out with the fuel rounded down to the previous eighth, not to the nearest eighth. They are probably going to round it down when the car comes back.

More Disney tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

9/65 Disneyland
3/75 (World Inn* off I4 near DD)
4/85 (Kon-Tiki* on 192)
'80s Disneyland once or twice
7/94 POR
9/97 ASMu
11/98 ASMu
12/98 (Knights Inn on 192)
9/99 ASMo
12/00 ASSp
9/01 ASSp
11/01 ASSp
*no longer exists

This is awful news. National car rentals service was always great. If they are not able to survive the Chap. 11 reorganization that would be terrible.

National Car rental is great,especially the one at metro airport,i loved the bosses there,susan and bob,very professional and very caring ,before and after sept 11th.

We used National on a recent trip to MCO. The service was fine. The actual charge was $9.00 less than was estimated. My only complaint was that we signed up for Emerald Club only to find that in order to take advantage of coupon and/or discount programs we had to go to the counter first, negating Emerald Club service. Oh well!! It was free through DC but if I had paid for it I would be fuming.

SNOWGOOSELTD; We received a coupon from DC several months ago for a free weekend. We used it, along with Emerald Isle by putting the discount code in to the reservation that we made online on the Emerald Club website. We DID receive the discount, as I checked the receipt, so it works.

DVCDAVE...thanks for the info. I made the reservation by phone, prior to joining the Emerald Isle Club. Perhaps that's why we couldn't use their services. I'll try again on the next trip. Happy Holidays!!

We just got back from 12 days in Orlando. Used National to rent a car and had the usual wonderful service. We expect that they will remain in business.

Cars were in short supply in early October because a lot of them had been rented to people sriving home from September vacations and still hadn't returned South. That problem seems to be over.

I have ressies for Feb....I hope they are still in business...they do offer great service, though last time I rented I had Emerald Aisle and paid for at least a full size car...when I got to the Aisle they only had mid-sizes left!

MJ

I have ressies for Feb....I hope they are still in business...they do offer great service, though last time I rented I had Emerald Aisle and paid for at least a full size car...when I got to the Aisle they only had mid-sizes left!

We will be picking up in FLL than dropping off at the Swan/Dolphin National location.

MJ

mmouse37...I hope National issued you a rebate or discount of some sort. This could be another reason not to use Emerald Isle. At least the counter attendant would know what was/is available.

How can Alamo be going bankrupt after the COMPLETE rip-off job they worked on us for our car in Florida?!?

The amount we had to shell out should have kept 'em going into the next fiscal year!!!

:eek:

Never again-rental cars are the ONLY THING I would book from home(OZ)next time, instead of over there in the US.

Originally posted by mmouse37
We will be picking up in FLL than dropping off at the Swan/Dolphin National location. MJ

National has a desk at the Dolphin, but they no longer accept vehicle returns at that location. You will be directed to the Car Care Center and given at ride back to your hotel. I was disappointed to learn this when I attempted to return our minivan there on 12/2. It wasn't THAT big of a deal, but it did take a lot longer than I was expecting -over an hour vs the 20 minutes I originally allotted. We stayed at the BWV, so I thought it'd take 5-10 minutes to return the car and 10 minutes to walk back.

Recommend you check shortly before your trip. If the situation is still the same, you might as well just drive directly to the car care center instead of wasting your time at the Dolphin. If you are thinking of returning to the Dolphin to rent a car for the return trip, my advice is to book directly with the car care center. The service at the Dolphin was very, VERY slow and you have to wait for a van to take you to the car care center to get your car anyway.

Have fun on your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter