• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you tour the parks in the rain?

Ok everyone, thank you for the advice. Since I know people are waiting to hear what happened, here it goes!

Steady rain all day, we threw on ponchos and headed in. Sneakers were soaked through before we left Main Street and that was the only real negative. We did everything in Adventureland, Liberty Square and Tomorrowland that we wanted to do with most rides under 10 minutes. We moved onto Epcot and did everything in Future World before calling it a day.

If you are focused on rides then rainy days are pretty good. We didn’t attempt to tour World Showcase and the food booths though.

Ok everyone, thank you for the advice. Since I know people are waiting to hear what happened, here it goes!

Steady rain all day, we threw on ponchos and headed in. Sneakers were soaked through before we left Main Street and that was the only real negative. We did everything in Adventureland, Liberty Square and Tomorrowland that we wanted to do with most rides under 10 minutes. We moved onto Epcot and did everything in Future World before calling it a day.

If you are focused on rides then rainy days are pretty good. We didn’t attempt to tour World Showcase and the food booths though.
my dh absolutely hates rain and if it was a washout day probably would hang in resort. i bought vessi sneakers recently but haven't used them. if you take off your socks during a downpour with regular sneakers on that may help if you put back on dry socks after the rain.

Yesterday’s rain was unusual. Over 24 hours of rain in central Florida. OP, I’m glad you were able to enjoy the park. Hope you brought extra sneakers because I know from experience they don’t dry overnight. 10 minute waits are great! So the question remains, will you go to a park again on a rainy day @Revan

YES! We live where it rains all the time and if we waited for no rain we would never do anything. Bring extra shoes. Newspaper in the shoes overnight help them to dry.
yes newspapers and removing the insoles out of the shoe before placing the newspapers inside. will dry faster

@lovethattink we will. Though we’d get upgraded ponchos. We bought $5 ones at Target, same as Disney $15 ones, and the neck rips very easily. We saw better Totes ponchos at Publix the next day for the same money.

We are staying offsite at Margaritaville so had a dryer for the shoes.

We just got here and tomorrow, Friday, is our first day, with a reservation for MK. The forecast shows rain all day with about a total of 1.5" over the course of the day. We have an extra day tacked onto the back of our vacation with no park visits. Would you shoulder through and just plan on getting wet or shift your non-park day?

I'd hate to start a Disney vacation with two non-park days since we arrived today and walked around Disney Springs.

Best time since those who are faint at heart tend to leave or go eat.......

I tend to go with disposable ponchos, so I don't have to carry a wet jacket and an umbrella then I just go about my merry way and enjoy splashing in the puddles.

I have the luck that everytime we are in Epcot it rains so now we just wear our ponchos and go with it

Just wanted to say that we were at Hollywood Studios for the crazy rain on Friday. This wasn’t just a rain day - it was POURING ALL DAY. It was nuts. We went out anyway, and lasted about 5 hours, but that included Bfast at H&V and a late lunch at SciFi, otherwise we wouldn’t have made it that long. Just did Rise, Smugglers Run, & Star Tours and bailed on a LL for TSMM. I couldn’t believe how many people whipped through the heavy rain on SDD.

The Poly was a zoo when we got back and our group of 10 ended up eating Captain Cooks dinner in our hotel rooms.

We have some really funny pictures, though, and made some memories.

My sneakers weren’t dry until Monday night.

Oh, and one note - we used ponchos that had good reviews on Amazon but they were terrible and were no match for the weather or taking them on/off for rides and restaurants. I will pay for better quality next time.

We had a trip in May a few years ago and it rained several days in a row, almost all day long. We had both brought our raincoats with (ponchos are such a mess to deal with), so we decided if we were going to get any park time in, we needed to just suck it up and go out in the rain. So we did. We did HS one day in the rain and EP another day in the rain. They both ended up being pretty good days. As others have mentioned, the rain kept some people from going, so the crowds were smaller. We stayed for Illuminations at EP on one of the rain days and it ended up being my favorite viewing of that show ever! The rain added some extra cool effects along with the lasers.

Last Friday it rained all day. Had a great time in EPCOT and MK. Bought ponchos and enjoyed light crowds. Back at the hotel I MacGyvered an in room dryer using 2 trash bins, a towel and the hairdryer. Worked like a charm.Screenshot_20211110-123604_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20211110-123656_Video Player.jpg

We tried to do MK in the rain last Friday (our last day!), but it was too much. Normally you can just put on a poncho and deal with it, but there were puddles literally inches deep in Tomorrowland and it was gushing rain the whole time we were there. We went on Space Mountain, saw the Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, then did some last-minute shopping on Main Street, then left and got a late lunch offsite before driving to the airport. Gave some time for everyone’s shoes to dry out before flying home to 30-degree weather, although it was Monday before my shoes were finally completely dry.

Bummed to have to cut our last day short, especially with the Christmas decorations up, but we had perfect weather for all of the other days of our trip, so can’t complain too much.

@JenM - I hear you, MK we muscled through MK, but when we hopped to EPCOT our resolve definitely faltered. We ended up leaving after Soarin, Living with the Land and Spaceship Earth. The wind tunnel and whipping rain at Spaceship Earth was pretty crazy. There was no way we were going to grab food at the booths or walk around the lagoon

Wife and I had an adults only trip about 6 years ago where it absolutely poured for a couple of days. We tried to soldier on through the rain but it was miserable--soaking shoes that sloshed when you walked, rain blowing in your face and into the poncho, cold when we went into a place with AC, etc. We gave up and just toured the resort bars.

Rainy days have been some of my favorite days. Not only does it thin out crowds, it forces you to be more spontaneous with what you do, which is way more fun that having everything planned out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter