Do you tip for curbside pickup?

I don't think I said anyone was a jerk, but to reply anyway, it is not because of lazy it is because you are having a stranger stick his head in your possibly highly contaminated car interior and all you have to do is put on a mask, (they usually are required to unless you live in one of those places that are trying to cut down on population) and making them spend more time with their head stuck in your car when you could have helped them get out quicker.
Most are putting it in your trunk. In my husband's sedan and my coupe there's zero contact between him and the trunk, there's a seat that is completely blocking it and it's a closed trunk. You'd be exposing the worker more by getting out of the car, you'd certainly be in more contact with them. I honest to gosh don't get your reasoning that a worker wearing a mask should then be confronted with another individual who may or may not be wearing a mask in less than 6ft of space (less than 3 feet usually, heck you're usually right up next to them) touching their items is in anyways safer for covid protocols than staying in your vehicle.

IF you think the occupants in the vehicle should be wearing a mask in situations where they are in close proximity to the curbside worker I understand that but in no way does that mean you should get out of your car. And as mentioned it's a toss up whether the employee considers that a help or a hinderance or saves them any time (some mentioned when I looked up some comments that it actually prolonged their process).

You're a perfect candidate for not using curbside and with your viewpoint towards it (the slave comment, the own a bunch of...comment, do it yourself) I can't imagine why you'd ever be for curbside pick up.

FWIW your comment was "you probably don't get out to help them even put them in your car. Minimum wage slaves so you don't have to flex a muscle and do it yourself." Sure maybe jerk wasn't the adjective used but seems more than implied.

I don't think I said anyone was a jerk, but to reply anyway, it is not because of lazy it is because you are having a stranger stick his head in your possibly highly contaminated car interior and all you have to do is put on a mask, (they usually are required to unless you live in one of those places that are trying to cut down on population) and making them spend more time with their head stuck in your car when you could have helped them get out quicker.
At the Walmart curbside I use (Illinois), Online in the ordering process, Walmart tells you to stay in your car, pop your trunk. The employee comes to your car and stands so s/he can be seen out the driver's window. You lower the window, they confirm who you are, making sure they have the right customer. Online, they do ask you to please wear a mask, even in your car (I do). I have zero contact with the employee other than when they are finished, I give them a few dollars out the window. Both of us are masked and they do not come very close to the car, arm's length.

I use curbside pickup at Walmart & at one of our local grocery stores. (I’ve done curbside at Publix a few times, but, since they use Instacart for their curbside, it’s pricier.)

I sit in my car w/ the back of my van open. I never assist the person because, in my mind, that puts me in closer proximity to the person - which is less safe for the employee. Additionally, the employees may prefer that customers don’t help because most probably have certain methods for loading the merchandise into people’s vehicles. And customers trying to help could actually slow the process down.

(And, yes, sometimes, I feel silly or even a bit awkward just sitting in my seat while someone else loads my vehicle. But I try to be friendly & pleasant, & I don’t just sit there scrolling on my phone.)

And, when the person confirms my name/brings my receipt to the window, I always have my mask on.

I don’t tip because (1) it’s against the stores’ policies & I don’t want to get anyone in trouble & (2) the person who brings the order to my car is probably not the same person who spent the most time putting my order together.

I am very grateful for the service though.

Last edited:
At the Walmart curbside I use (Illinois), Online in the ordering process, Walmart tells you to stay in your car, pop your trunk. The employee comes to your car and stands so s/he can be seen out the driver's window. You lower the window, they confirm who you are, making sure they have the right customer. Online, they do ask you to please wear a mask, even in your car (I do). I have zero contact with the employee other than when they are finished, I give them a few dollars out the window. Both of us are masked and they do not come very close to the car, arm's length.
Well, I guess if that is the way it is being done, then it doesn't really matter what I think about it. I have done my own shopping completely through out the Pandemic. I always wore a mask and as soon as I could be vaccinated 1,2 & 3 I got them. I do know that even if I had decided to use the curbside service I would have tried to devise a way to make sure that that minimum wage person was shown appreciation. Even if it meant taping a bag clip to the window with a tip attached to it. All I would have had to do was tell them to take it. I realize that is just me, but that is the only way I could have lived with myself. Old school I guess. I guess the thing is that I never wanted to do curbside because I wanted to pick my own things out. Who knows maybe I would have done differently if I had actually done it. I rode with my daughter once to a curbside pickup, she didn't tip and I felt guilty all the rest of the day.

Last edited:
Well, I guess if that is the way it is being done, then it doesn't really matter what I think about it. I have done my own shopping completely through out the Pandemic. I always wore a mask and as soon as I could be vaccinated 1,2 & 3 I got them. I do know that even if I had decided to use the curbside service I would have tried to devise a way to make sure that that minimum wage person was shown appreciation. Even if it meant taping a bag tip to the window with a tip attached to it. All I would have had to do was tell them to take it. I realize that is just me, but that is the only way I could have lived with myself. Old school I guess. I guess the thing is that I never wanted to do curbside because I wanted to pick my own things out. Who knows maybe I would have done differently if I had actually done it. I rode with my daughter once to a curbside pickup, she didn't tip and I felt guilty all the rest of the day.
Yes, I prefer to tip. I asked and manager said the only tipping position in the store are the people who bring the bags to your car. Others are not allowed to receive tips.

Yes, I prefer to tip. I asked and manager said the only tipping position in the store are the people who bring the bags to your car. Others are not allowed to receive tips.
Chances are you wouldn't even see the others so that is what I am talking about.

What seems to be the most appreciated in my area at the moment is literally just understanding and verbal acknowledgement of whatever is being done.

You wouldn't believe how it turns the vibe around when you're at the hostess table and you tell them "oh no worries we understand" or to the waitress "it's okay we get it" both when it comes to staffing shortages or long time to get items or to the employee bringing your order out to your car (be it food, online order/ship to store, grocery order) "thanks so much I really appreciate it"

Not everything needs something physical (tip or aide) to show how you are appreciative and grateful you are. And right now words mean so much in an environment where people are less inclined to be verbally as nice. Smiling even with your mask on is still noticeable in a way (your eyes tend to crinkle up, your face lifts, your voice often takes on a certain tone, etc).

I finally saw someone actually receive a curbside pickup order at Walmart the other day. Almost all of the times, those parking spaces at Walmart, Target, Kohl's, etc. (4, 6, or even 8) are empty, except when "cheaters" park there.

Wawa has numbered spaces around the stores' perimeters, but I have yet to see an employee bring out a order. Even the rack inside for in-store pickup of mobile orders rarely has anything on it.

I think Shop Rite's curbside pickup is around the side of the store. I often see in-store shoppers so I'm guessing that service gets used. They also have home delivery service.

I guess curbside pickup just isn't a thing around here, or I keep missing being a witness to it.

During the early months of Covid, I did tip for restaurant pickup. But I don't order that way anymore. I've tipped when the garden centers load my car with mulch, soil, etc. or tie a Christmas tree on top.

I also always make it a point to get the person's name (many I know already from over the past 20 months of using curbside at Walmart0 and do a review in the picked up email receipt survey when I get home. There is a section on the experience with team member. As with Disney CM's, they have told me that those get read by management and are very helpful to them. I have never had even one not great experience.

I guess curbside pickup just isn't a thing around here, or I keep missing being a witness to it.
I think most places around me it's kinda random but when it comes to Walmart the grocery pick up is busiest often in the morning, especially on the weekend, and then around the 5pm-6pm time slot . My husband most of the time is picking it up on his way home from work and does the 5pm-6pm time slot. It's usually pretty quick but they are usually very busy at that time.

I think most places around me it's kinda random but when it comes to Walmart the grocery pick up is busiest often in the morning, especially on the weekend, and then around the 5pm-6pm time slot . My husband most of the time is picking it up on his way home from work and does the 5pm-6pm time slot. It's usually pretty quick but they are usually very busy at that time.
Ours is busy also. They started with 7 slots, expanded to 14, then moved the whole things to the opposite end of the parking lot, now 20 slots. It is busy!

I finally saw someone actually receive a curbside pickup order at Walmart the other day. Almost all of the times, those parking spaces at Walmart, Target, Kohl's, etc. (4, 6, or even 8) are empty, except when "cheaters" park there.

Wawa has numbered spaces around the stores' perimeters, but I have yet to see an employee bring out a order. Even the rack inside for in-store pickup of mobile orders rarely has anything on it.

I think Shop Rite's curbside pickup is around the side of the store. I often see in-store shoppers so I'm guessing that service gets used. They also have home delivery service.

During the early months of Covid, I did tip for restaurant pickup. But I don't order that way anymore. I've tipped when the garden centers load my car with mulch, soil, etc. or tie a Christmas tree on top.
I think it might be used more during the after school/work time ( 3 -6) in my area of South Jersey. Since we are both retired most of the shopping at Shoprite, Target, Acme & Wegman's is done weekday morning or right after lunch. Even on my Saturday or Sunday visits to Acme I have rarely seen anyone in the slots for pickup.
Our local Shoprite has the the slots on the side. At Target I do notice people using the In Store pickup.
I did tip during the takeout only phase at Restaurants last year since if we could have we would have eaten at the restaurant. . Like you for extra service at at a hardware store/garden center we tip for loading the car with mulch etc. .
I do need to drive by a Wawa at breakfast or lunch to see if anyone uses those slots:thumbsup2

I also always make it a point to get the person's name (many I know already from over the past 20 months of using curbside at Walmart0 and do a review in the picked up email receipt survey when I get home. There is a section on the experience with team member. As with Disney CM's, they have told me that those get read by management and are very helpful to them. I have never had even one not great experience.
That's a very good idea, and I'm sure much appreciated by the employees. I need to make an effort to do this.

Generally the in-store baggers are not tipped. And it varies from market to market if they even have baggers, or only have them at certain times. The cashier will bag your groceries if there is no bagger, but I always start bagging my own while s/he continues to scan. I do NOT like the markets where the cashier bags immediately after scanning.

Most of the time I use self-checkout. I rarely buy large quantities at a time.

As for fuel, New Jersey is the only state where self-service gasoline is prohibited. An attendant MUST pump for you. Oddly enough, self serve diesel is permitted. Go figure.

Gas attendants generally don’t expect tips. If they do something extra, like cleaning your windshield, a tip is appreciated but still not really expected.

My company doesn’t forbid employees from accepting tips, either the gas attendants in NJ or the ones who bring out curbside pickup orders. But I hear that fewer than 10% of customers tip for pickup. It’s not expected.

Also Oregon in counties with more than 40,000 people.

We've been using curbside pick-up at Walmart for over a year. The way the process works, there really isn't an opportunity to tip. After you pull up, someone comes to your window and asks your name. They look up your order, ask if you're ok with any substitutions and then check you in. After a few minutes, another person comes out with the order. They open the back of the car (we have an SUV) and load everything in. Then they say, "OK you're all set." We say, "Thank you," they close the hatchback and walk away. It wouldn't occur to me to tip either person since the one who shopped for my order really did most of the work.

Yeah, I picked up groceries this morning around 9 and there were at least 10 other people picking up orders.

I have to admit that I have a hard time tipping people for doing their jobs that they are getting well paid for. I understand it more in the service industry when they are really putting the effort in to give you personal service, but just for running groceries / products out to me, no. Now if I regularly see the same person giving me service, I might give them a gift or tip them during the Holiday season to show my thanks.

Those slots are always full. With people going inside the store. I don't think they're reserved for pickup.

And for some odd reason, the spaces start in the 30s, 40s, even the 70s. Not at number 1.

No, those parking spaces are for anybody to use. That’s why there are around 12 to 15 around most stores, so there is space for the one person who orders curbside pickup.

More people ordered in advance for curbside or in-store pickup in the past, but it seems many have lost interest and would rather come inside.

The explanation I was given for the unusual numbering of parking spaces is that no close-together stores have the same numbers. That’s a quick indication that a customer mistakenly arrived at the wrong pickup store. It happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter