• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you think DVC should be a little more open to people moving dates without penalty because of corona?

I do think there is quite a bit of flexibility in the point system. Enough that this could easily get spread over several years without much impact on availability. Especially not for home resort booking

Even if they open up again April 1, there will be good availability for the rest of the year and beyond due to the folks who are still nervous about going. Plus, many people will need extended time to go back due to jobs or family limitations. After that, things will slowly get back to normal.

If availability does get too tight years down the road, worst I see is limiting borrowing for a while.

Like it or not, we all own this, so any burden should be spread across all owners.

If this was hurricane damage, we would not expect the people booked during the hurricane to pay all the damage. It would be spread over all owners.

This is not damage to the resort. This is breaking the rules we all agreed to. We own the property and are responsible for the upkeep and management expense. We are not obligated to share the burden if you decide you do not want to go because something has changed. It sucks I know but we all have choices and we are responsible for those choices.

What This is, is owners canceling reservations at resorts that are staying open. Never were we guaranteed access to any parks, just a resort stay. That as of now is still avaliable. This is above and beyond generosity possibly at the expense of other owners. I feel no obligation to share the burden if you cancel you resort reservation when the resort is still avaliable to you. I also will be quite upset if banking and borrowing are limited due to pixie dust for just a few members.

Call me mean if you like but Just my opinions.

Last edited:
I decided to let my renters off and I'll just eat my non bankable points because I know I wouldn't want to go to any Resort/Hotel and have nothing to do. What's legal and what's right in this situation is two very different things. Hopefully Disney will shut the Resorts down and make this a mute point.

I decided to let my renters off and I'll just eat my non bankable points because I know I wouldn't want to go to any Resort/Hotel and have nothing to do. What's legal and what's right in this situation is two very different things. Hopefully Disney will shut the Resorts down and make this a mute point.

I think that is wonderful you were in a position to refund the renter! I bet the majority of owners will be working hard to the best of their ability to help out,

It made it easier that the money was escrowed so I didn't have a chance to spend it yet.

I am reading through all of this and I have to say I can not begin to imagine the problems being created down the road. With so many points flooding back into the system in the next year or 2, I just don't know how things will work out. Im not really sure how i feel but Disney is treating owners like customers with the exceptions to the rules. Owners in this thread are telling renters they are SOL and rightly so as they agreed to the rental terms. At the same time pixie dust is falling like a blizzard. Didnt we as owners assume the risk when something like this happens? It just worries me as I plan to book a 2021 trip and that may become much more difficult now with all of the pixie dust they are sprinkling. Let the walking begin.

And I do have a dog in this hunt. We go in July parks or no parks.
Disney owns stakes if I recall. They can make points whole by using their points. Or can be more active in rofr. I probably wouldn’t fix it right away if I were them because they will inevitably have some points that expire

Disney owns stakes if I recall. They can make points whole by using their points. Or can be more active in rofr. I probably wouldn’t fix it right away if I were them because they will inevitably have some points that expire
Yes, at any given time Disney owns a minimum of 2% of points (sometimes probably 5% or maybe more), and as an owner Disney "rents out" their points via cash reservations. I'm thinking they may be hoping that these points (leaving them in owner inventory instead of moving them to cash inventory) will provide enough cushion for the other owners who are having to cancel now and rebook over the next couple of years. The clue will be reduced DVC villa availability on the cash side this coming fall and into 2021-22, but I don't think we'll be able to tell for sure.

No matter what, I'm hoping that everyone who has had to cancel will be able to rebook!

No travel from citizens of the U.K. or Ireland now either.

I went to the store this morning because we just got back from a ski trip to Colorado and needed regular groceries. Honestly, it wasn’t nearly as crazy as I thought. A lot of stuff was gone or picked over, but I got 90% of what I needed, albeit with some substitutions, from my main store. People were pretty calm. I went to Walmart to get the other 10%, and they were much better stocked. Whoops! I should’ve gone there first!

If the resort doesn’t close you don’t need to refund anything.

If the resort shuts down you will have to refund the money. If you don’t you will get sued and lose. You can’t charge someone rent for accommodations that are not available. Keeping the money would be theft.

I don’t know. The David’s contract I read said the only reason for refund Is if the accommodation is unavailable due to an action or omission of the member. There is wording that they are not responsible for operations changes.

https://dvcrequest.com/information/sample-agreement

I didn’t have any reservations for March but I’m perfectly willing to pay the price in terms of reduced future availability due to the concessions made to those who were unfortunate enough to have a March trip booked. Just as I don’t complain about my tax money going towards federal disaster relief for those hit by hurricanes and tornadoes. After all, in the future it may be I who is a victim.

That is a good point that I didn’t think of. When does the waiving of the rules stop?
As far as I know, when I called MS, they said they were only waiving the rules for owners who were planning to stay on points from March 13-31, which was my situation. Theoretically, it will stop when all of the people with reservations during those weeks are taken care of, so there is a finite number of people getting relaxed rules. Maybe others with reservations in April etc may be getting pixie dust in individual situations...I don’t know...

I don’t know. The David’s contract I read said the only reason for refund Is if the accommodation is unavailable due to an action or omission of the member. There is wording that they are not responsible for operations changes.

https://dvcrequest.com/information/sample-agreement
The operation changes are in reference to amenities such as pools and restaurants. The agreement clearly states that you are renting points that represent accommodations. If the accommodations are unavailable trough no fault of the renter, the renter is legally owed a refund.

This is not damage to the resort. This is breaking the rules we all agreed to. We own the property and are responsible for the upkeep and management expense. We are not obligated to share the burden if you decide you do not want to go because something has changed. It sucks I know but we all have choices and we are responsible for those choices.

This is a bit more than “I changed my mind.” It’s not a “personal choice”.

This is a national emergency! As part of the emergency declaration, people have been asked to eliminate “discretionary” travel.

No one wants to cancel thier vacation. They are doing it, AT THE REQUEST OF THE GOVERNMENT , to slow the spread of the virus and protect YOU. Therefore you should share the burden of slightly lower availability.

Yes, at any given time Disney owns a minimum of 2% of points (sometimes probably 5% or maybe more), and as an owner Disney "rents out" their points via cash reservations. I'm thinking they may be hoping that these points (leaving them in owner inventory instead of moving them to cash inventory) will provide enough cushion for the other owners who are having to cancel now and rebook over the next couple of years. The clue will be reduced DVC villa availability on the cash side this coming fall and into 2021-22, but I don't think we'll be able to tell for sure.

No matter what, I'm hoping that everyone who has had to cancel will be able to rebook!

Less cash rooms could also come from less rooms considered breakage, which means less to offset dues.

I would venture to guess that if rooms have to be put back, it will come from there first.

[

Thank you so much on behalf of your renter for being so kind and going above and beyond. Hard situation all around, I’m sure you lifted a huge weight off their shoulders.

We are waiting to hear from our owner, as well as hoping our travel insurance can cover it. We are in Canada where all non essential international travel has been recommended against so that should help. Best case scenario our insurance works, no worries about the money, and some bonus points come our owners way. Hopefully they are useful to them.

Fingers crossed! And to think, in just about a week we would have been checking in to our very first Poly stay :(.

As far as I know, when I called MS, they said they were only waiving the rules for owners who were planning to stay on points from March 13-31, which was my situation. Theoretically, it will stop when all of the people with reservations during those weeks are taken care of, so there is a finite number of people getting relaxed rules. Maybe others with reservations in April etc may be getting pixie dust in individual situations...I don’t know...

I know when I called, since my last night of vacation was April 1st, I mentioned that if those couldn’t be released from holding it would be fine since the Park was supposed to be open.

He said not to worry, and Removed it for those 43 points.

I didn’t have any reservations for March but I’m perfectly willing to pay the price in terms of reduced future availability due to the concessions made to those who were unfortunate enough to have a March trip booked. Just as I don’t complain about my tax money going towards federal disaster relief for those hit by hurricanes and tornadoes. After all, in the future it may be I who is a victim.

Very well said. You never know when you are going to be the one needing a helping hand. Honestly, being able to find an available DVC villa a couple of years down the road really should be way down on the list of concerns now, IMHO.

LAX

Yesterday I rented points through a broker for a January reservation. We have no idea when this will end...and no one can say they didn't know it was a possibility it could rage on for months or worse. Though I have been poised to help in the past (hasn't been necessary) I don't feel that anyone signing an agreement since this crisis erupted early this year can ask for ANY relief from a broker and/or owner when their vacations come around. This is not meant to be "mean", but any renter that can't take the "hit" should not rent...better to book direct with Disney and in essence, get "insurance" of sorts from their cancellation policies.

I dont see how they cant continue waiving the penalties/rules. They have started down that road now. If by July they are still shut down would it be fair to those owners who are booked to be treated differently.

Hope we can stop this stampede and it all sorts out in the next couple of weeks
[/QUO
Yesterday I rented points through a broker for a January reservation. We have no idea when this will end...and no one can say they didn't know it was a possibility it could rage on for months or worse. Though I have been poised to help in the past (hasn't been necessary) I don't feel that anyone signing an agreement since this crisis erupted early this year can ask for ANY relief from a broker and/or owner when their vacations come around. This is not meant to be "mean", but any renter that can't take the "hit" should not rent...better to book direct with Disney and in essence, get "insurance" of sorts from their cancellation policies.
Your a 100% right. If you can't take the hit stay out of the kitchen. Best advice is to protect your pocketbook and use other means to get to Disney

Same here I actually contacted my renters and changed their reservation for May. (hopefully things are back to normal) I already had received 70% from the company. I just couldn’t in good faith not do something. I know I didn’t have to but sometimes you just have to do the right thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter