• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you tell your neighbors you're moving?

I would tell 2-3 neighbors. Just the ones who live near us, and the ones we kind of know.

Moved/transferred several times - different states - and only our first move did it really matter to us and our neighbors. Beyond waves and greetings, never were close to other neighbors. We didn't choose our neighbors, but we did choose our friends. We were friendly, just did not socialize.

Disclaimer: yes, I know this is a zombie thread. ;)

One thing that struck me as odd about the OP was the assumption that the sellers would be able to fill her about the buyers. More often than not, we knew nothing about our buyers, the exception being the one time we sold our house ourselves. Is that not typical in some areas?

Disclaimer: yes, I know this is a zombie thread. ;)

One thing that struck me as odd about the OP was the assumption that the sellers would be able to fill her about the buyers. More often than not, we knew nothing about our buyers, the exception being the one time we sold our house ourselves. Is that not typical in some areas?

I feel as though it’s sort of common to know who your buyer is, as in they are a family of four with two children, what they do for a living, etc...Often the buyer will request an inspection of the house or a visit for measurements, and even though arangements are typically arranged between real estate agents, sometimes the owner and buyer meet.

We met the buyer of our house when they arranged for an inspection. We exchanged phone numbers in case they received any of my mail. They called me a few times and I swung by to pick it up. They invited me in to see my old house, which was kind of cool to see how others decorated.

When we arranged for a visit to the house we bought, the current owner was home and he made us tea. It was nice. :)

When we bought our house we never met the sellers until the closing. I have no idea what the real estate agent shared with theirs about us before that, but we had zero contact before and zero contact after we bought the house.

There are only 2 neighbors I would tell I was moving because I have a relationship with them that goes beyond waving and saying hi.
It wouldn't even cross my mind to tell anyone else, the rest of them would probably be able to figure it out when they saw the for sale sign up.

We had this exact scenario that you are describing last month. The house sold before the sign went up so we didn’t even know they were moving until the new people showed up. These people lived two doors down and we chatted at the community mailbox once in awhile or waved hello .
I don’t think they owed us any explanation at all but it felt weird that I didn’t get a chance to say goodbye or good luck.

I only had a casual Hi/Bye with my previous neighbor and didn't tell them when I got pregnant which upset them so they stopped the casual hi and byes. When I moved I didn't say anything, packed and left.

We bought and sold 5 houses in 10 years. In each neighborhood we probably had 2-3 neighbors we were friendly with and we told them before we put the house on the market. As soon as we put up a "for sale" sign suddenly everyone in the neighborhood wanted to be our "friend". They'd walk by with their kids or their dog and stop to "chat". What they really wanted to know is how much we were asking for the house, how much the realtor thought we could get, where we were moving to and why we were moving. By our 3rd move it was just comical how "interested" people suddenly became in us. It was like clockwork. So no, I didn't say goodbye to those people who had never talked to us beforehand.

We've been in our current neighborhood for 10 years and I love almost all of my neighbors. They are some of my best friends. I would tell each and every one of them if we were moving and I would be so sad about it. The few people in my neighborhood that I only say hi/bye to I wouldn't bother to tell but I'm sure they would hear it through the grapevine pretty quickly.

In your situation, probably not.

Our next door neighbors told us but we (mostly DH) knew them well. Our neighbors across the street, absolutely we would tell them but we've been neighbors and friends for years. Next door on the other side, nope. I see them so rarely, I'm not sure I would recognize them if I ran into them at the grocery store. We joke that they are vampires because their yard is well maintained, they put up holiday decorations, yet we NEVER see them outside. No idea how they get it done.

Old topic, but current issue.

Our neighbors moved out last week. They had a sign up, and suddenly we saw a moving truck in the street.

We talked a few times over the years, but we weren't best friends. So, I wasn't surprised that they didn't say anything.

But the least they could have done is had the truck park closer to the curb. That way people wouldn't have had to hug the wrong side of the road to get by.

We bought and sold 5 houses in 10 years. In each neighborhood we probably had 2-3 neighbors we were friendly with and we told them before we put the house on the market. As soon as we put up a "for sale" sign suddenly everyone in the neighborhood wanted to be our "friend". They'd walk by with their kids or their dog and stop to "chat". What they really wanted to know is how much we were asking for the house, how much the realtor thought we could get, where we were moving to and why we were moving. By our 3rd move it was just comical how "interested" people suddenly became in us. It was like clockwork. So no, I didn't say goodbye to those people who had never talked to us beforehand.

We've been in our current neighborhood for 10 years and I love almost all of my neighbors. They are some of my best friends. I would tell each and every one of them if we were moving and I would be so sad about it. The few people in my neighborhood that I only say hi/bye to I wouldn't bother to tell but I'm sure they would hear it through the grapevine pretty quickly.

Because they couldn't check the MLS listing? It's not exactly hidden info. If I'm curious on what my place will go for I ask an agent, not hound a neighbour I barely know.
I believe you though.. people can be tacky.

If I'm moving out of this home everybody in my neighborhood will know! After 30 years here, there will have to be multiple garage sales. Someone has to throw the 'going away' party! And, I'll need all that help getting my house ready for sale, etc. No way will I not tell anyone. Plus, all those keys to the neighbor's homes will have to be returned - I've got a basket full of them!

When I'm out of town, one neighbor pet sits. Another gets the mail. I've come home to my front yard's grass trimmed. I live in a 'neighborhood' where people know one another, walk the street to get exercise, walk their dogs and where kids play and have people who watch out for them.

Two neighbors I know have moved back after moving out. I have no plans to leave, but a renter down the street just told me recently or I guess I should say asked, if I were to leave would I rent or sell them my home because they like living here. We are a quiet street but very well located for the commute into the city, and within walking distance to restaurants, a few stores and other services.

It is also important to respect people's privacy. Some people are going to wave and keep on going. That is their right and should be respected. The important thing is to keep waving!

And, every home owner is interested in what the house sold for. It's about knowing and keeping up with your property value. Could care less what the owner did or did not put in their pockets other than to wish them well with it. The internet will provide the sale information with no awkward conversations.

Same thing happened to us, neighbors we had never met all of a sudden showed up wanting to know how much and why we were moving. They also came to our open house.

We didn't have to tell anyone we were moving, I think the neighbors next to us and behind us threw a party the day we left. I wonder if they'd like to have us back, now. The new owners have torn out the front landscaping and are parking their cars and work trucks (he owns a business) where the flower beds used to be.

yes, with close and actual relations yes, but if it's just a wave, then no, why?

I didn't want to be honest, but I had to. I asked one of my neighbors to help me with moving. He has a van and fortunately he agreed. Dunno if it was a great idea, cause it took us too much time to pack everything, and we also had to go several times here and there, so his wife wasn't happy about that. Nevertheless, we had a nice goodbye and I even miss them a little.

Nope wouldn’t say a thing.
My neighbors sold last year. I still haven’t met the new people.

Generally in my neighborhood the sign goes up, and that's the key to wave when you happen see the people and ask how the sale is going. That's when you'd find out when the actual move is, rather than them going around and telling everyone individually.

I do have one close friend who I'd make sure to tell before the sign went up, but most are casual "chat for a minute when we both happen to be outside" neighbors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter