• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you still have your Secure/Recession proof job?

I still have my job as a 911 dispatcher. I feel fairly secure we work on a bare bones staff and they can't actually cut any positions. Salary maybe (but they have not) but if we lose even one person we can't provide adequate 24/7 coverage.

I'm a secretary at a state university. So far my supervisor says I have nothing to worry about, our department couldn't function with out me. Our merit increases have been frozen for a year, and civil service is petitioning to have them frozen again. Faculty haven't gotten raises in forever. Last July they laid off 50 faculty and staff. An instructor and an unclassified staff from my department because they cut a program. At the end of May, we will loose 2 professors because the cut program officiall ends then. Waiting to see what happens with this year's budget. I'm hoping he's right, I'm the only secretary in department with over 30 faculty and a department head to deal with in addition to all the students daily.

DH is basicly a SAHD because of his back issues. He works 2 days a week to pay for extra things like Disney.

My dh stilll has his job,it's HVAC work,so a very necessary thing,but we don't fool ourselves,NOTHING is recession proof!
We just keep our heads down and work REALLY hard,and we don't stop planning for life,but we also have it in the back of our minds at all times,we could easily lose the job,and have to alter our 'fun' plans.......

I am a teacher and DH is IT director for a school district. We both still have our jobs. I know my job security is very high because I have been here 7 years, I am in a required subject area (English) and I always volunteer for extra training. I trained for the new online gradebook and turnkey others. I trained in NJ State Holistic Scoring. I trained in a special writing program. I trained in a new program for curriculum writing and am currently writing curriculum. That is the advice I would offer new teachers in the field: always volunteer for training in something like that. The knowledge can never be taken away from you, so it increases job security and if you ever did lose your job anyway, having that training on your resume is a great thing.

Another nurse here, with 37 yrs of experience as an RN, and the last 31 yrs as a pedi nurse practitioner. Nursing has not been recession proof - at least not around here. I've never seen so few nursing jobs being offered, and in the past 2 yrs, new RN grads are not able to find many jobs locally, mostly due to older RNs not retiring as early as they used to. Hospitals are also down-sizing around here. One of our local hospitals (Kent Co Hosp in Warwick, RI) just laid off 48 LPNs last week. They will be replaced by 12 RNs and some CNAs. My employer recently advertised for one RN opening and had over 40 applicants, several of whom were new grads who had been unable to locate a nursing job since grad last yr.

Haha!!!!

I work in health law. You may have heard of this new law Congress passed through recently. We call it the "Health Care Attorney Employment Referendum".

DH is a police officer who just hit his 20 year anniversary with the department. He is in the top 25 of seniority in a department of almost 300 officers. I am a critical-care paramedic, just promoted to Field Training Officer, and I sit in the top 10 out of 50 employees. Unless either of us screws up royally, our jobs are quite secure, and we are extremely thankful for it:love:.

I work in entertainment and never had a secure job; they just don't exist in my industry.

I feel secure, though, does that count? I just bought a new-to-me car with a 3-year car payment. :eek:

I work for a private school and still have my job-just signed a new contract for next year. My husband works for the state. Although both of our jobs are relatively "safe", I got a 4% reduction in pay for next year and DH has had to take 3 furlough days this year.

DH & I are pretty secure in our jobs. DH is in the healthcare industry. I work at a community college. We didn't get raises last year, but should this year.

Also, for the past 9 years I have been doing editing, write articles and newsletters for a health care consultant on the side for vacation money (I think I might be one of the only people that actually likes HIPAA!).

My husband's job is definitely not a "safe" job as far as economy goes, but he's fortunate to have it. He works in the car business. Fortunately, the area of the country we live in is pretty strong economy-wise.

Yup. Dh is a high school science teacher and I'm tenured faculty at a university. We're still OK.

OP, I'd be awfully surprised if very many CPA's are losing their jobs. Especially those actually working in Public Accounting.

I agree, I am a CPA, I switched to a better job 1 year ago and none of the CPA's I know in my area (very hard hit by the recession) are out of work or have been for more than a few weeks.

On the boards last year someone asked the question about people still planning disney trips and trips to other various places with the economy getting so bad. And I noticed the replies went something like " My dh and I have secure jobs that are not threatened by the economy. I just wonder how many people on here had what they thought was a secure job last year and now are out of a job?

Teachers are losing jobs, policeman are losing jobs, state workers are losing jobs, lawyers are losing jobs, cpa's are losing jobs. All these jobs a couple of years ago were considered "Secure jobs"

I recently lost my job, but it was by choice, I could have moved to keep it in a restructure, but I decided family is more important and I am now working as a consultant and going back to school, so I am still planning my next Disney trip and a trip to Myrtle Beach this summer. I may not make as much as I did in my so called secure job, but I set my own hours and I am not as near stressed.

I don't consider our jobs secure, because I don't consider anything "secure." But my husband and I are still employed. No raises for me, but there have been for him. The spectre of layoffs for both of us seems behind us for THIS recession.

I still have my job but many around me have lost theirs so I'm far from secure. DH's area also went through a layoff but he somehow survived. I'm hoping that there won't be more of the same.

I'm embarassed to say it but I have a recession proof Federal Government job and we have gotten raises every year. I am happy to have a job but hate working for the entity that I despise the most.

This is a very good point. I like your honesty.

My DH had been out of work for nearly 2 years (looking, the whole time) His brother was laid off from Mass-Mutual, and he joined the Navy. It is very sad to have to be forced to work for the Federal Govt. because the economy is so bad. Of course Military is booming..options are few in the civilian world. My 42 year old brother even joined the Army-not because he wanted to-but because he HAD to, to survive. I believe this is a tactic straight from the President down, to keep our jobs sparse, and the Armies full.

My husband finally did get a job driving a forklift for a major beverage company, that we are proud to be affiliated with. They are are environmentally friendly. They hire temps during the busy season so that the full time regular staff doesn't feel the burden of lay-offs during the slow season. So far, so good.

I work part time as an RN, and will not be getting a cost of living or merit wage increase this year. Nursing jobs were plenty 15 years ago when I graduated..but not so much anymore~I read the want ads, and it's slim pickins'.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter