Do You Spend A Lot on Your Summer Vacation?

HeatherC

Alas...these people I live with ...
Curious to hear what others do? Do you spend most of your vacation budget on summer vacation or other times of the year?

We usually spend a lot on Feb. break....Disney or a Cruise to escape the cold. But this year we visited my parents on Hilton Head and didn't spend much. We are, however going to Cape Cod for two weeks this summer so this time around our summer vacation is a pricey one.

We have gone 6 out of the past 8 years spending 8-11 days at WDW. We always travel the week prior to Labor Day, so they have good deals at that time of the year. However, we are Disneyd out. Blasphemy around here, I know.

This year, we're spending a week at Hilton Head in an oceanfront condo. We are planning to spend a day in Savannah and maybe a day in Charleston. My son is a big history buff and will love it. My daughter will not be as thrilled...I plan to bribe her with new bikinis and new colorful hair braids. Heehee It's costing us half as much to go to HHI than to go to Disney for a week. :)

The majority of our vacation money is spent on our Oct Disney trips. If we go anywhere in the summer it is usually just a 4 or 5 day trip to Gatlinburg or St. Louis. We spend 4th of July week in back home in Indiana, but we stay with family so we don't spend too much that week. During college football season, we have a few overnight trips a year. This year will be a bit different because of the federal furloughs, though. Haven't even booked the Disney trip yet, but DH is adamant that we are going. Just not sure how long we will get to stay yet.

Ha! No!

In fact, we haven't had a vacation budget in a few years. We don't take a big trip every year, so that helps. But- we are hoping to go to Pasadena for the Rose Parade this year- my DS13 will be marching in it with the HS band- and I think for the first time ever, we might have to pay for it on credit. I have NEVER put a vacation on credit before, but this might be the only way we can go. We will probably take out a home equity line of credit- I think that might be the best option interest-wise. SIGH. :(

ETA: I actually priced airfare from Philly to Orlando in October because it is our 20th wedding anniversary. OMGosh, it is so high! I guess gone are the days of the $150 rt on Southwest! I have about $600 in Disney Visa rewards, so I thought we could do a long weekend. Not gonna happen!

We spend the majority of our income on vacations.
1. Vacations-predominantly in the summer
2. Food
3. Mortgage

And we're very happy with this.:cool1:

We spend the most on our winter vacations. We live in Michigan so we like to get out of the cold and snow for 2-3 weeks in January/February. We usually take a cruise and spend some time in Florida visiting family and going to Disney and other sightseeing.

Summer vacations are usually at our place up north, or camping at other places around the state.

Next summer we're planning a 3-week vacation out west, mostly camping, but it will probably still be pretty expensive, just for fuel alone. :(

Some years we do not have a vacation budget, except for a day at the zoo or something.

And we normally do not vacation in the summer - sometimes we'll go to the beach, but only once every few years. Typically if it's a year we're going to be able to do a week long or longer family vacation, probably 90% of the vacation money would go for that.

Disney is our usual summer vacation, but we only spend around $1500. If we go to the beach for a week, that is closer to $2000.

It depends. Some years we spend a lot, and some years we spend less. This summer we are going to London and Italy for 16 days and we're taking my son and younger daughter with us, so it will be more expensive. We are going to visit my older daughter who is going to grad school in London, so she will stay with us once we get there and accompany us to Italy. Anytime you do ANYTHING with 5 people it is not cheap.

We also like to do Disney, but since I teach we are stuck with spring break, winter break and summer break which are the three most expensive (and crowded) times of the year.

Some years we rent a beach house in Ocean Isle Beach, NC which is not too expensive. Once you pay for the house and gas to get there, your only other expense is food.

Most of our money is spent on our trips to WDW and HHI every year. In the summertime we've been taking a nature/birding trip. DH is a VERY frequent flier, so we make our plans based on where/when there's FF mile availability in the summertime, usually June, then stay in Best Western Hotels while we drive around and get to know the area. We've been to Logan Canyon, Utah; Yellowstone NP (3 times); Grand Tetons; South Dakota (Badlands and Custer State Park); and this summer, Bemidji, Minnesota.

We don't budget for our vacations out if our salary pay. If dh has a good commission year that dictates our vacations. No Wdw in 2012. Dh and I did an adults only cruise and other than that stayed local.

Dh and I are doing another cruise in April, just us. We are hoping to take boys on dcl in oct or dec this year.

If we vacation, it's always in the Summer now that we have kids in school. Budget varies year to year. My salary fluctuates a lot based on OT and bonuses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter