Do you save things or are you more of a minimalist?

I don't know which is better. As soon as I throw something I don't use out, I need it and have to buy a replacement. So what is more important, less stuff in the house, or more money in my bank account?

Totally me. Don't need it until I don't have it. Happens so frequently! I try to be a minimalist in some places - I don't want to have several kitchen appliances that do the same thing for instance - but then I can't throw away the to-go containers because "I can use them for something!" :crazy:

And I am very sentimental - so much so that the kids (young adults) know to give me first right of refusal on anything of theirs that they want to get rid of. Daughter just cleaned/reorganized her room and I have a tub to take to the storage unit. LOL (The storage unit which I tell myself is temporary) ;)

I am a minimalist.

We have been trying to declutter recently and have thrown out a LOT of stuff. We live in a smallish house (1900 sq ft as a family of 4) but my husband and one son are complete HOARDERS. It drives me crazy. They just keep adding stuff everywhere.

At this point, I am seriously considering a small storage unit just to get things OUT of the house somewhat. We have closets overflowing and we don't need half the stuff like 99% of the time (stuff like luggage, extra bedding for guests, toys...ahem collectibles that are sitting in plastic tubs in closets, Christmas decor, coats, etc)

Last edited:
If anyone has tips on how to part with the sentimental items I'm all ears.

I just read this:

and one of the tips was to take photos of sentimental stuff and then pass the "stuff" on to people who can use it and keep the photos instead.

I think I'd like to be a minimalist but I love decorating so it's ying and yang for me.

My husband and I, from before marriage, have lugged around a butcher block wood table that was left in our first apt. We used it as our kitchen table for awhile and then in this house ( 25 yrs now) it went into the basement. Always used, mostly for laundry.
We just had a shed built in the back yard ( she shed) and I'm going to refinish that table and put it out there!!
I have a coffee table ( small, octagon shape) that was my parents, we have kept that all these years too. I'm going to paint the bottom wood coasters some bright color and that is going the she shed too.
I also just repainted a small wrought iron patio set red white and blue, going to be in the front of my she shed.
I'm elated to have those things to use again.

Moving was an eye opener to me as to how much stuff we had accumulated and stashed through out the house over the years. Our new home has much less in the way of storage areas so if it doesn't have a use or function, or a specific place-out it goes. I do like it better that way-clutter drives me nuts. I find it hard to concentrate when there is a lot of clutter around me.

I just read this:
View attachment 518457

and one of the tips was to take photos of sentimental stuff and then pass the "stuff" on to people who can use it and keep the photos instead.

Pictures are a good option. I do two additional things. First go through your sentimental items and really look at them and hold them and see if they still feel important. This helps a lot with things like kid clothes/projects/gifts from deceased. You’ll have a box of baby clothes and think I just cannot get rid of them, they represent when my kids were tiny little babies...then you go through the box and realize the majority are worn out, you have no memory of them wearing it, or don’t have that emotional attachment you thought; and you keep maybe one or two instead of the twenty you thought were important (or some of the art projects that you think of with a smile in a basement and then look at and realize they are scribbles done in a minute and you have 4 others that are actually special).

The second suggestion is to display or use sentimental items and see if they have the same feelings when you see them every day. I get a real joy using my great grandmothers blanket on cold nights or eating off the platter my son made in 4th grade. I found that a few of my dad’s book collections made me feel good when he first passed but after time and seeing them every day some of the sentiment wore off and I was able to save only a few instead of the whole collection. You get clarity when you see/touch items every day and if they do ”make the cut” you also get the benefit of happily using them instead of feeling a general sentimental feeling tinged with guilt when you pass the hall closet or basement door.

I am not even close to being a minimalist but I am ruthless about getting rid of stuff when necessary. For example, I have what seems like a ton of craft stuff even though I don't craft because my younger son hasn't grown out of the project stage of school yet. Every time I get rid of craft stuff I end up having to rebuy something I got rid of for yet another school project. As soon as he outgrows that stage though, I plan to immediately donate all of it to the school's art teacher. I know that it will make her day.

A few houses ago, we had many pieces of furniture in the attic. My DH wanted to get rid of it but I knew it would be worth keeping them for when we moved. Two houses later, they all have homes. The IKEA storage cabinets are in my office filled with craft and office supplies and the very expensive brass and glass coffee table is in the formal library. I did get rid of some other furniture that I knew wasn't needed. I don't like homes that are overstuffed with unnecessary furniture.

My biggest frustration is that my mom is a major packrat and she keeps trying to pass items onto me to deal with instead of getting rid of stuff. I refuse to be her dumping ground.

My DH is very sentimental and likes to keep way too much stuff. I'm happy to take a mental picture (or actual picture) and then get rid of things, no need to keep that trophy, shot glass display, or your childhood collection of bouncy balls. The only hurdle I face is when it comes to functional things (clothes, appliances, gadgets) I didn't grow up with a lot of money and I have a very hard time getting rid of something and then having to buy another version of what you already owned.
I’m sentimental too & keep that kind of stuff, BUT, otherwise, I’m very much a minimalist so I think it balances out.

I am a minimalist...sorry, can't lie. I have so much crap. I keep it all neat, dust-free, and organized but I do have lots and lots of stuff here in my large-ish bedroom. This is the only room in the house where I can display my things so it looks worse than it would be spread out among several rooms.

My big weakness is craft supplies for my doll making hobby and my crochet. I have the closet under the basement stairs for my use, and it's full of fabric, old Barbies, etc. And the yarn and crochet thread, oy! And then there are the art supplies. :o

My husband is a saver. I am a tosser. Clutter stresses me out and I will happily toss anything we don't really need. When we moved last year, he wanted to keep a bunch of stuff that he had stored in the garage. These were things he hadn't even looked at in over 20 years. Now his boxes are stored in the attic of our new house. I supposed our kids will have to deal with them someday. I, on the other hand, had a great time donating and tossing stuff in the trash!

I would LIKE to be a minimalist but I just cannot get rid of stuff. I come by my pack-rattiness honestly (both parents).

I try to cut down by not buying as many things any more (looking at you, Disneyland!)

I am the same. I want to be a minimalist but I think I’ll use this someday. I don’t buy things. My problem is that my mom doesn’t like clutter but loves to buy stuff so she buys it for me. I don’t need It but it’s usually nice or useful stuff and that’s harder to toss or donate.

I'm a work in progress... I feel like I've learned a lot over the years. I used to hang on to a lot more. Clothes we "might" wear again, leftover home improvement stuff we "might" need, lids to Tupperware we "might" find, shoes "we could use for mowing," multiple sets of bed sheets and towels that still had life in them.
Over time I realized that stockpiling that stuff didn't make my life easier... because I always had a hard time finding space for things I needed or finding what I needed in overly full closets. Sometimes it was the "good stuff" I couldn't find. It was pointless and frustrating. Now each room has two sheet sets to swap and I only keep 6 towels per bathroom (I'll also keep 2-3 old towels for the dogs or spills).
We also used to buy bigger items we thought would save us money over time (pressure washer) that mostly sat in the garage. Now, I just rent or borrow equipment like that, because paying full price and then finding parts have dry-rotted when you need to use it, is a real eye opener.
I won't say I'm a minimalist - my house doesn't have empty cupboards or closets - but I'm much closer to that end of the spectrum than the other at this point in my life.

I’m a minimalist. Saving things leads to clutter. I loathe clutter. Clutter stresses me out.

I can happily part with just about anything. I love to get rid of things. It’s good for my mental health.:)
Me too and it drives my husband nuts as he likes to save things “just in case”. If that’s the case it goes into his office, I just close the door and let him have his chaos in his one spot.

Me too and it drives my husband nuts as he likes to save things “just in case”. If that’s the case it goes into his office, I just close the door and let him have his chaos in his one spot.
My husband puts his stuff in the basement. I rarely go down there.
I get heart palpitations when I do. Lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter