Do you "rent" points to family and if so, for how much $?

If we are going together, it's no charge but if they want my points meaning I can't go, it's the going rate I'd get on David's so that I can holiday elsewhere. I don't take friends, only family

We travel with friends and family multiple times a year. Our friends often pick up some meals or event tickets in consideration for the room "cost" ... this usually works out fine to everyone's benefit. The family (adults) never pay, but would like to see them reach for the folio after a meal once in a while :) That said, makes no difference to me whether people charge their families or friends or not - kinda up to the points owner I would imagine and their individual situations - not really seeing a wrong answer ...

I’m in No way criticizing anyone, nor am I looking to stir the pot,,,

Maybe I’m missing something, or perhaps I’m the outlier here, but I would personally never charge family or friends.
I could see the angle when you’re using points for friends who are traveling without you, but that‘s not something we’ve really done with our points. And even that would be a tough one to swallow.
Family? Never getting charged. EVER.
Admittedly, any friends and/or family who’ve stayed on our points have traveled with us, with maybe 1-2 exceptions in the past 23 years for family members.
Like I said, maybe I’m missing something here, but I wouldn’t charge family for points that I already own (yes I‘m aware of my annual dues, but I’m paying those regardless).
Not a criticism, just my perspective.
I totally agree. I haven't been in the situation that friends have used my points without me, so I may reconsider not charging them, but I agree that I wouldn't charge my close family for any reason.

I’m in No way criticizing anyone, nor am I looking to stir the pot,,,

Maybe I’m missing something, or perhaps I’m the outlier here, but I would personally never charge family or friends.
I could see the angle when you’re using points for friends who are traveling without you, but that‘s not something we’ve really done with our points. And even that would be a tough one to swallow.
Family? Never getting charged. EVER.
Admittedly, any friends and/or family who’ve stayed on our points have traveled with us, with maybe 1-2 exceptions in the past 23 years for family members.
Like I said, maybe I’m missing something here, but I wouldn’t charge family for points that I already own (yes I‘m aware of my annual dues, but I’m paying those regardless).
Not a criticism, just my perspective.

The only reason I have charged friends a few times is because they said they wanted to pay something and would not accept for free…so I went with a token amount.

Like you, most often I am traveling with them so no one pays…and, due to medical issues with my mom, I can’t go on my trip with my friend in 10 days, so her husband is now going and I refuse to take any money.

So, it really does depend on the situation on whether I am willing to accept money…

They are your points and your money, so whatever is right for you is right.

Personally:
  • I would not charge closer family (sister or parents)
  • If I invite friends to share a room I'd book anyway, then I don't charge
  • If we travel together and I book a room for them or a bigger room, then I charge points at dues + 1$ (which represents a fraction of the buy in)
  • If friends would ask me to book a room for their holiday, then I would charge market rates minus 1$

If they are sharing our room (we REALLY have to like the person to even offer them to share a villa with us tho), no charge.
No charge for our adult children & their families (the points/money are going to be theirs eventually anyway). If they want to upgrade the room, I would probably just have them pay dues on the difference.
Just the cost of dues for my brother & his family (they are financially sound & like to get the largest rooms & i don't see a need for us to subsidize their vacations:)).

Last edited:
I'm currently in ROFR on my second contract in as many years primarily because my family and close friends appear to appreciate the deep discounts I can give them.
There have been many similar discussions over the years but this comment makes this one somewhat unique.

We've been pretty generous with our points over the years, accommodating friends and family on many occasions. Would I buy more points explicitly because friends and family want to get a great deal thru me? Aww, hell no.

I'm currently in ROFR on my second contract in as many years primarily because my family and close friends appear to appreciate the deep discounts I can give them. I've been giving DVC the side eye since 1996 when my kids were small, knowing that it just wouldn't work for us. I only had 2 weeks vacation/year and we weren't local so the cost/time was a hard no. Fast forward 26 years and the stars have aligned. As newer grandparents, freshly retired, it's been a great source of enjoying my childrens inheritance to their benefit. To that end, without some sort of control or governor, it could become a free for all with its own thorns.
So I've set a price of $10/point with subtle variations depending on who gets the master suite vs the pull-out in the living room. Extremely easy to manage and keeps a handle on fiscal resposibility (theirs, not mine).
How do others handle sharing your points with friends and family?
Cost of the maintenance fees for the points used. Except for my kids, of course mom pays then.

eta: I don't actively rent to anyone, but if I have extra points I'll offer them to a family member who's going just to help them out.

Last edited:
I don't think I would do it. I have rented through a company and I take friends and family as often as I can get them to go (of course at zero charge) but I don't think I would consider lending or renting to relatives for their own trip.

We don't charge when we invite someone to go with us. If we aren't going then we charge around $12-14pp but that is for the BCV. We bought resale a couple of years ago at a higher price so our cost pp with mf is almost $16pp. But I also Make them pay in full about 40 days before or I will canel the reservation and I don't rent to anyone the last 4 months of the use year. Family and friends who have rented are all aware of the possibility of losing points and understand our guidelines.

If we were going together, wouldn't charge.

Close friend or family and not going, id just charge whatever the dues are for the points used.

Not close friend or family, either dues+buy in per point cost (ie total cost to buy contract/years left at the time we bought) or going rental rate depending on who they are.

I don't think id ever just give someone points for free unless we were also going. We did a big trip in March with both sets of Grands going with us, we took care of their rooms as well for that.

If they're coming with us, no charge. If I'm using points for a trip we're not going, we charge them annual dues. If we don't like them that much then annual dues + the purchase price per point (per year) :)
Ha ha. I was going to post that such a charge -- maintenance fees plus a charge for the initial buy in expense -- made sense as a 'at cost' charge. I get it though -- maybe that entirely financially supportable approach would only be offered to lesser friends???

I think like many you do it on a case by case basis.

If I'm travelling with the group I have never charged my friends and family. But there has always been an unspoken agreement that a nice meal or two will be covered by those friends. Its never been explicitly stated, but the thank you meal has always happened. But my friends are very understanding of the cost they are saving.

We once rented to my moms boss - 1 bedroom savanah. Only charged the dues so practically nothing for what they got. She complained she never saw any animals and the price seemed steep. (WHAT NOW?)

So now I will only ever rent to strangers lol

I could see later on not bothering to charge friends or family. But right now we have barely enough points to cover our stays. And if we gift one set of people then I’d feel bad not being able to gift others who are just as close in same circles.

If we add on (likely) then later get to a point we’re not going as often, I could see putting it to good use gifting the occasional stay. By then the upfront cost will be long gone and the dues no big deal. It depends where you are in DVC life. We’re still in the first stage.

I'm planning a BIG family trip for 2025 using 2-3 years worth of points and my BIL and sister have already asked how much they'll owe me. I told them they didn't have to pay me anything but my BIL said he understands that I have yearly dues and that they're using all my points.

I always create budgets for our trips - separate ones for mine and theirs - so I've budgeted their trip to reimburse me for half the required points in dues since I'll also be staying in the 2 BR but I still feel a little torn about it. It's crazy cheap for them in consideration with paying rack rate or even military discounted rate. We'll see if I stay w/ that amount. Also, don't know if I'll use that money to put towards my contract pay off (goal is to be paid off in a year) or to cover the costs of the scheduled trip.

My friends are also asking me for our separate trip in 2024 since they know I didn't buy my contracts at the 'free store' :laughing:. I have less qualms about asking them for some $$ though.

Took "the boys" on a golf weekend,,needed a 2 bdrm,,only charged MF, they had no issues. SIL went down with wife, needed larger room,,,no charge....its a case by case ,,,, have rented to some friends, they insisted on paying when we were not going down,,MF +2,,,,all very happy.

There are enough stories on these forums of family/friends doing just that to cause me to agree that having them pay something upfront, even just the dues, makes it clear to them that their accommodations aren’t free to you. If they’re not willing to commit any $, i wouldn’t be willing to commit to reserving a villa for them.
Exactly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter