Do you put TSA approved locks on your luggage?

Just MO, but that’s like saying I’m not going to lock my car because that makes it look like something valuable is in it.
I’m in agreement with you. I lock my cases (with the inbuilt TSA lock), not because not locking it makes it look likes there’s less items of value in it, but because it’s out of my sight and handled by many people. I don’t put valuables in my hold luggage typically, but I do consider a lot of my things irreplaceable.

I lock my car every time I park. It’s just good practice.

It’s like they say about everything…if you don’t like it, you don’t do have to do it.

Yes, well, it isn’t visible if my house is locked either. My house isn’t a mansion but I consider it valuable & always lock it.
And presumably there's stuff in your house that a thief might want. If someone wants my clothes (whether dirty or clean) or toiletries, they must need them more than me. :)

If I travel with something valuable, I keep it with me.

If it is something I can't keep with me, I ship it, insured.

I don't see a need to ever lock my luggage.

My bags with integrated locks, I lock as it keeps the zipper tabs in place. For those that don't, I have TSA locks I got on clearance for like $2, but I never remember to put them on.

We had those little locks years ago but have long stopped using them. We once had a suitcase that had a build in lock with the default 000 code. We never changed the code but did lock it as perhaps a means to prevent the zipper from coming open. Outside of that, we simply don't lock our suitcases. If someone really wants to steal a suitcase, they could just pull it from the belt and walk out

I have the luggage that has the built in TSA locks. I always lock them mostly to make sure the bags don't get unzipped. Plus as others have said, make thieves work for it if they want to go through my bag. I can't see ever not locking my bags, mainly to make it harder for the zipper to snag and accidently open up.

Just MO, but that’s like saying I’m not going to lock my car because that makes it look like something valuable is in it.
TSA master keys are available. 2 or 3 keys will open the majority of locks.
A thief can steal the suitcase and open somewhere in private. It doesn't take much to break the lock off the suitcase. It doesn't take much to get at the suitcase contents by cutting the suitcase.

No comparison with locks on a car or home.

JMO the miniscule protection of a TSA lock is offset by the target aspect of using the lock.

An exception, I'll try to remember to use a lock on a cruise or tour. I'm thinking of times I put my bag outside my room at night. Might be enough to deter a person walking down the hall from taking a look.

YMMV Use the lock if it makes you feel better

A thief can steal the suitcase and open somewhere in private. It doesn't take much to break the lock off the suitcase. It doesn't take much to get at the suitcase contents by cutting the suitcase.

JMO the miniscule protection of a TSA lock is offset by the target aspect of using the lock.

An exception, I'll try to remember to use a lock on a cruise or tour. I'm thinking of times I put my bag outside my room at night. Might be enough to deter a person walking down the hall from taking a look.

Just about all locks are only designed for honest people. If someone wants whatever it is you have they are going to get it. No matter the locks on your car, someone can break a window and steal anything in sight in 10 seconds. Not that hard to kick in a door on most houses if you really want in or break a window.
The vast majority of locks are meant to dissuade most criminals by encouraging them to pick a different target. You think a thief at an airport is going to spend that much time thinking that if someone has a $2 lock on their suitcase it probably has better stuff in it than a suitcase next to it without one?
75% of the time when I fly, I'm going to work and have my gear and uniforms in the checked bag if I have one. While not irreplaceable, it would be difficult and time consuming to replace that in the time I have before I'm supposed to work. If locking the suitcase dissuades the casual thief, it's more than enough reason for me to do so.

You think a thief at an airport is going to spend that much time thinking that if someone has a $2 lock on their suitcase it probably has better stuff in it than a suitcase next to it without one
I do, but I have no evidence to support it.

At least 10 years ago some airport employees, Newark airport, were caught stealing stuff from suitcases in the sorting area. They had a ring of TSA keys. Speculation was an employee with access to baggage x-rays was tipping them off as to which suitcases had stuff worth stealing.

Best advice is don't put stuff worth stealing in checked bags.

At least 10 years ago some airport employees, Newark airport, were caught stealing stuff from suitcases in the sorting area. They had a ring of TSA keys. Speculation was an employee with access to baggage x-rays was tipping them off as to which suitcases had stuff worth stealing.

An organized ring using TSA security inspections to decide which bags to steal from isn't even close to the same class as what we are talking about, and luggage locks would have been totally irrelevant to their selection process since they had the X-Rays and master keys. In that case, there was nothing a traveler could do to prevent it if they were targeted. In any scenario where it's not TSA stealing from you, luggage locks are going to dissuade a casual or nervous thief.
IIRC, you live in the upper midwest. How many stolen cars do you hear about every winter where people had them running to "warm them up?" Crimes of opportunity that don't happen if a little care is given to make it a harder target.

I had a suitcase with the integrated TSA lock and the TSA broke it when they "had" to inspect my bag. There was a note inside saying that my bag had been randomly inspected (there was nothing in it besides my clothing and basic toiletries) and when I retrieved it at baggage claim, I realized that the zipper was coming open. That's when I saw that the locking mechanism was completely broken and the zipper would no longer clip in and hold the bag shut. I called the TSA number to file a claim and they said that they are not responsible for the broken lock since they have the right to inspect the bag and they had to get into it. I pointed out that it was a TSA-compliant lock and there was no need to pry it open or break it. They blew me off and basically gave me a "too bad, so sad, not our problem" response. The bag is now useless for airline travel since the zipper will not stay closed.

EDIT: I replaced the bag with an AWAY bag and when I ordered it, I asked the CS representative about their warranty. I explained the issue with the TSA and asked if their lifetime warranty would have covered the bag if it had been an AWAY bag and they said, "YES"! ...SOLD!

Last edited:
Yes, I don't want the zippers in it to open. One time I saw a bag literally spilling it's contents on the pickup carrousel. Plus I have seen airport luggage handlers drop baby carries to the floor even when they are supposed to be careful. The less chance my bag has of opening up the better.

What does one consider valuable? Just because you don't think something in your luggage is valuable doesn't mean it isn't to someone else.

A friend of mine had makeup taken from her luggage on 2 separate occasions from 2 different airports. Not a lot of money probably about $50-$60 however the aggravation of going to get new makeup when you don't have a rental car is reason enough to just put a lock on your luggage. She now puts locks on her luggage and hasn't had an issue since.

My bags have built in TSA-compliant locks. I usually use them but sometimes forgot. I wish I kept track, but I have the impression that my bags have the TSA inspection notice inside them more often when I lock them. As if TSA is made more curious by having the lock. But I have not really kept track and that's extremely anecdotal.
EDIT: I replaced the bag with an AWAY bag and when I ordered it, I asked the CS representative about their warranty. I explained the issue with the TSA and asked if their lifetime warranty would have covered the bag if it had been an AWAY bag and they said, "YES"! ...SOLD!

I have Away bags and this is good to know.

Just like wheel locks for your car, every thief has the key.

I lock my checked luggage simply because it would be difficult to find my sized clothing at my destination. Not to mention I'd have to take time (and expense) out of my vacation to replace clothing, toiletries, etc. My luggage now comes with built in locks, but when I travel with an old bag, it gets a TSA lock.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter