Votes: 67 63.2%
  • Yes, but I pay an extra fee

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • Yes, other

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 4.7%

• Total voters
I'm flying alone, not with a family, but yes I will select unless flying Southwest (where you can't select seats ahead of boarding). I just don't want a middle seat. Front, back, aisle, window I'll take any of those.

We are flying American on our next trip and I pre-selected our seats. We always do that when we can; it’s one less detail to think about.

I typically fly SW, sometimes do early bird. I have an American flight next month, seat assignments were included. I got an offer last week to upgrade to first class for $146 for my PIT-DFW flight. 3 hours, sounded good. They wanted $299 for DFW-SNA, didn’t take it but it allowed me to book main cabin extra for free.

What makes me mad is people who book basic economy without seat selections and then expect people to move. That’s the chance you take.

Personally, I think you shouldn't be allowed to bring your 'luggage' on the plane and it should be in checked baggage. Airlines created this problem when they started charging for checked bags and people want to avoid the checked bag fee by bringing it on the plane. Trying to find space in the overhead bins also slows down both the loading and unloading process.

Actually, this started long before charging for luggage. A lot of this carry-on thing started with airlines losing, misplacing, or just the delay in getting your luggage. I remember times waiting for over an hour for my luggage. Then having two or three flights at the carrousel at the same time.

Never had lost luggage myself, but I was once rebooked from LAX to CLT off a direct flight to a flight with a connection via New Orleans. There was a mechanical issue with my original flight. Both flights were packed.

Landed in Charlotte, and was told my luggage was still on the original flight. It was inbound, and an hour later, I got my luggage. Had I known, I would have tried to just stay on the original flight as it was over half empty, and I had to wait for it anyway.

Too bad, the airline was really trying to do the right thing for me in getting me home as fast as possible. Sometimes the road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

1 for me, this is yet another reason why i only fly with legacy airlines (like AA) for the ability to pre-select a seat assignment as part of the base fare..

Actually, this started long before charging for luggage. A lot of this carry-on thing started with airlines losing, misplacing, or just the delay in getting your luggage. I remember times waiting for over an hour for my luggage. Then having two or three flights at the carrousel at the same time.

Never had lost luggage myself, but I was once rebooked from LAX to CLT off a direct flight to a flight with a connection via New Orleans. There was a mechanical issue with my original flight. Both flights were packed.

Landed in Charlotte, and was told my luggage was still on the original flight. It was inbound, and an hour later, I got my luggage. Had I known, I would have tried to just stay on the original flight as it was over half empty, and I had to wait for it anyway.

Too bad, the airline was really trying to do the right thing for me in getting me home as fast as possible. Sometimes the road to Hell is paved with good intentions.
You beat me to it. We've had numerous times where baggage has gotten delayed/lost. It's ALWAYS a good idea to have what you need for the first 24 hours with you in carry on luggage. That can be sleep clothes, a change of clothes for the next day (especially if you're going to a different climate), and toiletries. Put that much stuff for a couple of people together and you've just filled a carry on.

I've also packed a carry on in order to avoid waiting at baggage claim (if I'm only going for a couple of days).

You beat me to it. We've had numerous times where baggage has gotten delayed/lost. It's ALWAYS a good idea to have what you need for the first 24 hours with you in carry on luggage. That can be sleep clothes, a change of clothes for the next day (especially if you're going to a different climate), and toiletries. Put that much stuff for a couple of people together and you've just filled a carry on.

I've also packed a carry on in order to avoid waiting at baggage claim (if I'm only going for a couple of days).
Lot of good that does you if you travel in/out of a small airport and have to gate check anything larger than a backpack, which isn't big enough to hold all that and still fit under the seat.
My gate check bag got left behind. Never had checked bags lost, just gate checked bag. Go figure

1 for me, this is yet another reason why i only fly with legacy airlines (like AA) for the ability to pre-select a seat assignment as part of the base fare..
Is it? I thought they had a basic fare that did not include preselected seats
I don't select that one, because I only choose options where I can select seats but I do think they have an option that doesn't include seats assignments till check in. Both Delta and AA, unless something changed quite recently

Lot of good that does you if you travel in/out of a small airport and have to gate check anything larger than a backpack, which isn't big enough to hold all that and still fit under the seat.
My gate check bag got left behind. Never had checked bags lost, just gate checked bag. Go figure
I've travelled out of small airports requiring to gate check the bag, never had one lost. Have had multiple checked bags left behind.

I'm flying alone, not with a family, but yes I will select unless flying Southwest (where you can't select seats ahead of boarding). I just don't want a middle seat. Front, back, aisle, window I'll take any of those.
I don't care for middle seats much myself but was listening to a report about seat size recently (FAA taking a survey and may start to issue a regulation related to emergency exiting planes) and they said the middle seat actually has the most space. I was not aware of that. Personally, I think the differences must be so small it's not noticeable.

I've travelled out of small airports requiring to gate check the bag, never had one lost. Have had multiple checked bags left behind.
Ok. Opposite happened to me, that's all I was saying. That even bringing stuff in a carry on bag isn't 100% safe. Though, as I said, it was not lost, they knew exactly where it was. Sitting at the home airport tarmac. Forgotten.
Now that they provided tracking on the checked bags, I can see exactly where the bags are, when they scan them and get a notice as they are loaded/unloaded. I even had our bags make it on a flight that had a 20 min connection last month due to a flight delay. We didn't think we'd make it, they'd even already rebooked us on a flight the next day. But we did make it, as did our bags.

Ok. Opposite happened to me, that's all I was saying. That even bringing stuff in a carry on bag isn't 100% safe. Though, as I said, it was not lost, they knew exactly where it was. Sitting at the home airport tarmac. Forgotten.
Now that they provided tracking on the checked bags, I can see exactly where the bags are, when they scan them and get a notice as they are loaded/unloaded. I even had our bags make it on a flight that had a 20 min connection last month due to a flight delay. We didn't think we'd make it, they'd even already rebooked us on a flight the next day. But we did make it, as did our bags.
Sorry, wasn't trying to doubt you. I understand the bag tracking and like it, but think about it, what would you do if you DON'T get the notice?

Sorry, wasn't trying to doubt you. I understand the bag tracking and like it, but think about it, what would you do if you DON'T get the notice?
Be prepared that my bag may not make it. That's about it.
Just be prepared. Start to make a plan to get what I need. And make a plan to head down to Scottsboro AL to shop at the Unclaimed Bag store (it's an hour away from me) LOL
My post was mostly just a notice that even having a carry on isn't fool proof. If you have small air craft in your flight schedule. Those of you without small airports need not worry about this. Here, Delta has just about eliminated the smallest aircraft. American still uses them. One of theirs is only 3 seats wide, 1 on the right and 2 on the left. I'm 5'6" and can not stand up straight on the aisle. I hate that aircraft (and really need to note which one it is and try not to book them any more)
I learned not to put all my meds in my carry on, which is something I did prior to that trip, I don't always want to lug a backpack with me.
Anyway, while it may never happen again (and I get odds are it won't) I am now prepared with meds in both carry on and checked bags and I don't limit my carry on to an overhead bin sized bag and small phone case bag only any more.

I usually fly JetBlue and because I have a JB cc, my seat selection doesn't have an added cost, however, I usually get an even-more-space seat, which does come with a price tag. So although I don't have to pay for seat selection, I do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter