Do you plan your gas fill ups?

I plotted it out around Pilot/Flying J using Next Exit. I try to never get under a 1/3 of a tank. With a diesel truck and 38 foot fifth wheel I like the straight through and Flying J RV Card to turn the pumps on. I've started charting out which rest stops have separate RV parking lanes also. Regular rest stops are full of semi's after 8:00pm.

go to Ocala rather than get ripped off in Lake City, FL with their outrageous gas prices.

Living in Lake City, this made me literally LOL. Myself, and all the other residents of Columbia county couldn't agree more! ANYWHERE I go, out of the county, we get gas while we're there.

As has been reflected here, a lot of this has to do with your individual set-up. We tow a 35' trailer with a 2500 Suburban. With this set-up, at 53' bumper to bumper, I can't pull in and out of any random gas station (frankly, most Pilots don't work either). At 7-8mpg and a 37 gallon tank, however, we can't rely on much more than 225 miles per tank, and I have no interest in starting to look for gas every 100 miles at the half-tank mark (that would be WAY too much stopping). So, any time I'm doing more than 250-300 miles, I pre-plan the gas stop for right around 175-200 miles using satellite imagery to make sure I can get in. I also always make sure I have a back-up stop in case the station isn't there any more, is backed up, etc... This often allows gas stops and bathroom stops all to coincide every 3 hours or so, and makes for a very smooth trip.

This takes more pre-planning, but that process doesn't bother me, and having everything laid out makes for a much smoother, faster, and less stressful travel time for me. We can easily cover 600+ miles in a day (longest single day last summer was 720 miles) - I'd never be able to handle those distances without being able to slide right in and out of gas stops with no problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter