Do you (or anyone you know) tip the airport agent who pushes your wheelchair?

Magpie

DIS Veteran
My mother sometimes gets a wheelchair, when disembarking from long flights. I can't say I've ever seen her tip anyone, though she may have. I always assumed they were regular, full-time, airport staff.

I didn't know the agents relied on tips, before reading this article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.e3911301ad3e

Now, maybe wheelchair agents aren't paid in tips in every airport (it may be just a US or even Dulles practice), but I'll definitely let my mum know that she should at least offer a tip.

We used the service once in the past when DH broke his foot and needed a wheelchair and we tipped.

I’m sitting in an airport right now and someone was just wheeled up- no tip. Trying to think back I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone tip. I fly a lot and tend to people watch at the gate so I think I would have noticed.

I tipped when my mom needed a chair. It was a great help and I very much appreciated the assistance.

Yes, in April, flying out of BWI to MCO.
Tipped her $5 or $10, I can't recall.

Last edited:
The times I've needed one, I tipped, but I haven't had too many of those. Thank god.

DSMIL needed assistance to the gate once dropping off the luggage and through security. No wheelchair from gate to plane. She was ferried in a golf cart by an airline employee. I have never seen anyone tipped at the airport save a luggage porter and server in the bar or sit down eatery. If you request assistance from the airline due to a disability, no tip was expected as it's part of making the airport accessible.

Last edited:
MIL used a wheelchair the past few times between MCO and RSW due to large airports and her age. She, or DH, always tipped.

DSMIL needed assistance to the gate once dropping off the luggage and through security. No wheelchair from gate to plane. She was ferried in a golf cart by an airline employee. I have never seen anyone tipped at the airport save a luggage porter and server in the bar or sit down eatery. If you request assistance from the airline due to a disability, no tip was expected as it's part of making the airport accessible.

Which airport/country?

In Washington, Dulles, at least, the wheelchair agents are paid a tipped wage and count on the tips to bring their salary up to minimum (though they will be fired if they actually inform you of this). Golf cart drivers may be different, I don't know?

I've been Googling, and as far as I can tell, tipping wheelchair assistants is expected in the US, uncommon in the UK, and downright insulting in Asia.

Which airport/country?

In Washington, Dulles, at least, the wheelchair agents are paid a tipped wage and count on the tips to bring their salary up to minimum (though they will be fired if they actually inform you of this). Golf cart drivers may be different, I don't know?

I've been Googling, and as far as I can tell, tipping wheelchair assistants is expected in the US, uncommon in the UK, and downright insulting in Asia.
Victoria and Vancouver Canada and Gatwick, UK. It was Air Transat and Air Canada the times we dealt with it.

I used to fly frequently on Jet Blue from MCO to DCA, usually the same flight, with the same attendants and frequently the same "pushers." In addition to ALWAYS tipping at least $5, I usually had a baggie with a couple of brownies or a half dozen cookies for the pusher and 2 dozen cookies or a dozen brownies for the flight attendants. We were all on a first name basis.

Queen Colleen

Since I'm retiring at the end of this school year, I've been thinking about working at the airport. This was one of the positions I was thinking of - you get to meet people, talk to them, hopefully make their day a bit brighter. I actually looked at our airport's website to see if they had any jobs available. There are three companies at DIA with openings. Two pay between $9.30-$10.50/hour no tips and no benefits other than free airport parking. The third pays $10/hour plus tips and they have some health, vision, and dental benefits.

Fast food places start at $11.00/hour here but no one can live on those wages in this area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter