Do you opt out of the body scanner?

Probably for the same reasons a lot of people have... They don't trust the scanners or the people running them, and the whole thing is security theater. The scanners do nothing to improve airport security and the TSA is a joke of an agency. But that's just my .02...
But that's not a reason to HAVE to opt out. That's making a decision to.

I used to opt out when the scanners were the "naked body" variety. Now they are using the other type I just go through them with an annoyed sigh. I was lucky on our last trip and all 4 of us were Pre-Check and they were using the regular metal detectors instead of the scanner.

But that's not a reason to HAVE to opt out. That's making a decision to.

Semantics...

If you want a genuine HAVE to, I'll present my father and father-in-law:
Father: both knees are titanium replacements. He has a card that he presents to the TSA agent and he HAS to get a pat down.
Father-in-Law: degenerative bone disease and he can't hold his hands over his head. He HAS to get a pat down.

Semantics...

If you want a genuine HAVE to, I'll present my father and father-in-law:
Father: both knees are titanium replacements. He has a card that he presents to the TSA agent and he HAS to get a pat down.
Father-in-Law: degenerative bone disease and he can't hold his hands over his head. He HAS to get a pat down.
That's all I wanted to know... if the poster I quoted had a medical reason that he can't get scanned, or if he was just making a choice.

What I like is the fact that quite often the "opt out" folks are also the ones having hissy fits when they have to wait for their pat down or be separated from their bags while they wait

Amazingly the medical issue folks generally are understanding and arrive early so the wait isn't an issue.

What I like is the fact that quite often the "opt out" folks are also the ones having hissy fits when they have to wait for their pat down or be separated from their bags while they wait

So true. I know full well I might be waiting a bit. I generally get to the airport way too early, so I'm fine with it. I feeling strongly enough against the body scanners that I'm willing to deal with it.

I have read some TSA pre check people DO get herded to the body scanner, at random selection.

True. We just flew home 2 weeks ago and both of us are precheck flyers. Most times we just walk through the metal detector, but this time I was the winner of being randomly selected and had to go through the hands up scanner. This was out of mco. I also got a brief pat down.

My significant other opts out all the time unless running late. I don't - so I always have to wait for him on the other side. The pat down is thorough - but he never feels like someone is crossing a line - it's a pat down. It takes time - and occasionally the person is grumpy about having to do one in the first place - but as for what I have observed and he comments about - it just a professional exchange - with some agents pleasant/chatty and others grumpy/short with you. You do as told, they do their job. It does take time - and there's no way the traveler is going to rush them. The one time - he had to wait for them to even start for like 6-7 minutes - because the agents were dealing with bags that had to be hand checked and that's all the staffing they had. But once they started with him - it was maybe 2-3 minutes. And then a minute or two for him to put the laptop away, put his belt and shoes back on. So - I've waited just a minute or two for him after putting my shoes back on - or as long as about 10-12 minutes.

As for the increased risk to our health from body scanners - I think the fact I need to lose weight is a bigger problem........ Life exposes us to risk factors that can be detrimental to our health - we all pick and chose the risks we tolerate and the ones we don't - so I don't judge those who opt out. I'm going to enjoy a nicely char-grilled hot dog (read - I like them burnt) this weekend sitting in the sun this weekend.

My wife opts FOR the scanner due to all the metal in her hip that sets off the metal detector. I go where ever they direct me.

I am more worried about all the different types of air they make you breathe in the cabin! Did you know that's not pure oxygen?!?
I would hope not. There are risks associated with breathing pure oxygen at typical pressures for extended periods.

I agree and I like to live on the edge. Heck, I've been known to stand right in front of the microwave when heating up my TV dinner.

Ok, that's just downright reckless. But I do the same thing - I like to live on the edge too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter