• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you live your life "young at heart"

The older I get the more important I believe it is to stay "young at heart."

And like the OP, having grandchildren keeps us that way. :)

I love spending time with them and having fun and the fact that they enjoy coming here and spending time with us must mean we're successful. :)

I love doing silly things like sliding down a slide at the park (not a kiddy slide but a big metal one that I know will hold adult weight), swinging in the swings, skipping through autumn leaves on the ground, jumping rope, etc. I think it's doing things like that, and being active, that does keep older people young.

Just saw on the news the other day a 104 year old man running track and winning the sprint for his age group. It was awesome to see that. Then I think of my Mom who at 77 won't even walk around the block. :(

Nope, and upon reflection, I've been "middle-aged" practically since my teenage years. Now that I actually AM middle-aged, I've pretty much perfected it as a lifestyle! :thumbsup2

OP here.

Recently while visiting dgds 8 & 6 yrs old; the younger dgd bored with a little too much adult conversation garned our attention with her magic trick. She was allowing a cardboard wrapping paper roll to fall down in her hand exposing less and less of it with each drop at the top of her hand of course. :rotfl:

I asked if I may show her my magic trick? She lit up with excitement! I performed the trick where a child sits on a chair facing the magician who is standing. The child is then given 3 tissues pulled from the box themselves. The child is then instructed to crush the tissues into balls, and lay them on their lap.

The magician then has the child hand over 1 tissue ball. The ball is shown to the child while being shuffled back and forth, and hands opened and closed then palm down.. The child is allowed to see which hand the ball is in the first time to the Magician's dismay, as the hand the ball is in is chosen, to the child's delight.

When opportunity is at it's best the magician will throw the ball over the child's shoulder; the attention of the child is on the other hand. The reaction priceless when the chosen hand is not only empty but, the other one too!
:goodvibes

3 tissues are necessary because the child will want repeat performances!

Tip from the Magician: DO THIS AT HOME first. Practice makes perfect. :thumbsup2

OP here again.. sigh.

Just wanted to give a shout out to parenting today. When we visited (upthread) dgds had made a campfire framed with large cardboard rolls, and out of smaller cardboard rolls stacked in a pyramid shape, and had placed a glowing battery operated candle under crushed tissue paper. Marshmallows drawn on paper as well!

The family rm was darkened, and they were sitting cross legged in front of it singing carols!

Btw, I'm having fun trying to get the tune "Young at heart" out of my head.
I'm hoping the thought doesn't get old too fast today. ;)

http://www.metrolyrics.com/young-at-heart-lyrics-frank-sinatra.html

Merry "Almost" Christmas!

I had my kids late so I haven't had time to think about getting old yet. I am 54 and dh is 59 and neither of our kids is even old enough to drive yet. Tonight we have one playing a basketball game and another cheering at one. Tomorrow is the school winter concert. I don't have time to be old. I'm too busy.

Yep pretty much. Try not to take anything to serious and finding humor in everything is key. Oh and I will never not think farts aren't funny. I mean come on! :rotfl:

I guess, but at work if I have a day where I do a lot of lifting, my heart still feels young, my back not so much

Nope, and upon reflection, I've been "middle-aged" practically since my teenage years. Now that I actually AM middle-aged, I've pretty much perfected it as a lifestyle! :thumbsup2

Unfortunately, this. Young at heart is for the young in years.

Yes, I'm definitely "in touch with my inner child". Th other day, DS was teasing me for skipping.

I'm with MIGrandma! :thumbsup2

Short reply: YES! :dance3:

Long reply:
Having been married 50 yrs, our 4 kiddos are grown and the nest is empty! We try to live life to the fullest with no regrets! :thumbsup2

My DH is forever young, so I give him and our sweet grands much credit for keeping us young at heart :lovestruc. Having 13 grands, we attend many of their activities, have fun over nighters, do short n long trips together including WDW and a Disney cruise. Last week we had fun baking cookies and watching C'mas movies...next week we'll go to a C'mas show and light peeping. :goodvibes

Sadly, at 68/78yo we've see many of our friends suffer with illnesses and have lost some :sad1:. A lot of them saved every penny for a rainy day and never venture far...then suddenly it was too late :(. Altho we have some aches and pains, my DH refuses to grown old, still reminds me annually of our first date, tells me I'm as beautiful as the first day met (I'm so sure ;)), we have weekly dates, spur of the moment adventures, and still hold hands. He's a keeper! :goodvibes

We've traveled all 50 states, many Caribbean islands, a few countries, and last yr we marked hot air ballooning off our Bucket List and still going strong :flower3:. We believe age is just a number, not a state of mind or a reason for any type of particular behavior. We very fortunate to be so blessed and I thank God daily. :worship:

Long reply:
Having been married 50 yrs, our 4 kiddos are grown and the nest is empty! We try to live life to the fullest with no regrets! :thumbsup2

My DH is forever young, so I give him and our sweet grands much credit for keeping us young at heart :lovestruc. Having 13 grands, we attend many of their activities, have fun over nighters, do short n long trips together including WDW and a Disney cruise. Last week we had fun baking cookies and watching C'mas movies...next week we'll go to a C'mas show and light peeping. :goodvibes

Sadly, at 68/78yo we've see many of our friends suffer with illnesses and have lost some :sad1:. A lot of them saved every penny for a rainy day and never venture far...then suddenly it was too late :(. Altho we have some aches and pains, my DH refuses to grown old, still reminds me annually of our first date, tells me I'm as beautiful as the first day met (I'm so sure ;)), we have weekly dates, spur of the moment adventures, and still hold hands. He's a keeper! :goodvibes

We've traveled all 50 states, many Caribbean islands, a few countries, and last yr we marked hot air ballooning off our Bucket List and still going strong :flower3:. We believe age is just a number, not a state of mind or a reason for any type of particular behavior. We very fortunate to be so blessed and I thank God daily. :worship:

Same here! For the exceptions of:

Less years married
" " children
" " grandchildren
" " Provinces/States visited
" " years of age ;)

And nothing in my bucket list that requires getting into a bucket attached to a balloon! :scared1: Besides, too :faint: of heart..

Long reply:

:thumbsup2

It always makes me sad when people wait until "later" to travel or do fun things, then their health declines and they can't do those things. DH's sweet mother passed away about 15 years ago after a long battle with Lou Gehrig's disease and she taught us not to wait until "later" to do things. Do them now while you still can!

We have friends who have done the putting off until "later" and now he has dementia. :(

4nana: We did a hot air balloon ride too for my 50th birthday. :) DH turned 50 that same year, a month later, and I surprised him with a long weekend trip to Las Vegas! :) So much fun!

Never having kids means you really never need to grow up.

I still have cereal for dinner. If I don't want to do laundry, I don't. If there is a mess, we caused it. Etc.

And I can skip lunch for a week if I want and spend that money elsewhere. :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter