Do you like to do jigsaw puzzles?

#1hoosierfan

DIS Veteran
I have heard putting puzzles together can be relaxing. I had a 500 piece one in the game cabinet, so I spread it out on the coffee table to work on while watching tv.

Soooo, not relaxing. Looking at the puzzle mess stressed me out, and I couldn’t not work on it all the time. It sitting there, being partially done, mocked me.

Plus, my dog kept trying to steal pieces and eat them.

I have heard putting puzzles together can be relaxing. I had a 500 piece one in the game cabinet, so I spread it out on the coffee table to work on while watching tv.

Soooo, not relaxing. Looking at the puzzle mess stressed me out, and I couldn’t not work on it all the time. It sitting there, being partially done, mocked me.

Well, we don't work puzzles on the coffee table. Too low, and too accessible to little hands/pets.

If you are the type that doesn't like having a mess, then puzzles aren't for you. My sister works a puzzle until it's done. Can't stand to leave it for the night. It sometimes take us several days to finish a puzzle, but we don't mind having unplaced pieces just waiting to find their home.

Yes, upto 1.500 pieces on the coffee table 2.000 or 3.000 on the floor. Love it. But I live alone and no one is stealing my pieces.

There are special mats, where you can roll up your puzzle and put it away in between sessions.

Can you roll up the pieces off to side too, or would those need to be boxed back up? It seems sorting would take a long time each time if you have to box back up.

Yes, upto 1.500 pieces on the coffee table 2.000 or 3.000 on the floor. Love it. But I live alone and no one is stealing my pieces.

There are special mats, where you can roll up your puzzle and put it away in between sessions.

Count me in the "don't" like puzzles camp!
It makes me nervous to see all those pieces and try to find the exact right spot for the exact right piece! I don't have the patience for that.
However,, my husband loves them and keeps one going all the time. We haven't eaten at our kitchen table for a long time! but that's okay, he's happy:)

I really enjoy doing jigsaw puzzles, but I am very picky about the image. There has to be a good variety in the pieces. I'm not one for doing a 1,000 piece puzzle that is 1/3 grassy meadow and 2/3's bright blue sky. We have a separate table area where we work on puzzles. Usually, I can finish a 1,000 piece puzzle in a couple of days or so. I might work two or three puzzles back to back, but then I am ready for a break for half a year before I am looking to do another one. Our family always does puzzles around Christmas...it's tradition! I also usually pull a couple out in mid-summer, when it is too hot to do much of anything outside, and I have a lot of daylight hours to fill.

I did a Halloween puzzle this year but it took longer than expected so now I don't want to do the Christmas puzzle I'd planned. I have enough stressors without adding a "relaxing" puzzle.

You need to do it on a table or a board that you can have at your height. You don't want to be bent over for too long. Also, start with all the side pieces and get that done, then start looking at colors. Really look. Some reds are not the same as other reds. Which side of the puzzle do they belong to? Look for pieces that might fit together and make a bunch.

Once I start a puzzle, it's always "just let me find where this piece goes", but then, I pick up another one after that, so yeah, I need to work on it until it's done.

Also, if you don't like the mess, try an online puzzle app.

I like doing puzzles, DH does not. I have a puzzle caddy to store most when I am not working on it.

This time of the year our family has had a tradition to do “Bear House.” Without any visitors, it’s up to me and DH to do it, and he and I are working on it. I am very happy, it’s working out for us.

For whatever reason, this just says Christmas to us...from another year!

Last edited:

Start with the corners. :duck:

I haven't done puzzles in decades (if ever, really). My aunt sent us one (and one to my Sis & BiL) as a challenge to work on. I had a week off, and finished it in ~4 days. I worked 60-90 minutes a day. 500 pieces. I enjoyed the challenge.

It was a Mandalorian puzzle.

Ha. DH & I are doing a 1000 puzzle as we speak. Rented a condo on the beach right below the DD/DSIL own a condo and they ALWAYS say they do tons of jigsaw puzzles when here. They couldn't wait for us to snowbird for the first time and do puzzles. We thought 'oh yuk'. Just what we don't want. A big mess on the condo dining room table. B O R I N G.

Long story short. We LOVE it!! Really love doing it together. The table is large and the puzzle is being put together on the other side.

We've now been here 12 days out of a 3 months' stay and am on our 3rd puzzle and honestly love it. It's frustrating at times but we are old and we actually think it's stimulating our brain. And yes, DD/DSIL are putting their own puzzle together upstairs and we compare notes and switch puzzles. I'm sorry if it sounds dumb, but it has added to an already wonderful time here. Yesterday they went to Disney and stayed on my DVC points while I cat sat and guess what I kept doing? Putting together THEIR puzzle.

It's made us realize we can't pre-judge something before we try it.

I can take them -or leave them. I do the easy ones with the grand kids.
The hard ones, we set up on the dining room table and when bored go put a few pieces in.
Usually get 1/3-1/2 way and get tired of it and put it away.
Not relaxing to me at all.

I like doing puzzles, DH does not. I have a puzzle caddy to store most when I am not working on it.

This time of the year our family has had a tradition to do “Bear House.” Without any visitors, it’s up to me and DH to do it, and he and I are working on it. I am very happy, it’s working out for us.

For whatever reason, this just say Christmas to us...from another year!
View attachment 544829
How lovely! And what a wonderful tradition to have....especially in these stressful Holiday Season.

I used to love to do them, but got out of it. Funny you ask that question though, as I bought some Ravensburger and Springbok puzzles for us to do this winter. Picke dup 2 more today at Walmart (prices on Amazon have gone crazy the last 2 weeks :( ) Now that hubby is retired, we need something besides tv to keep us occupied! I did buy one of those roll and store puzzle things, but of course that's one of the packages that is lost somewhere in the postal system,,'will be delivered late--no kidding, since it was shipped from MI on Dec 8, today is Dec 19 and still no sign of it.
@bobbiwoz That is a beautiful puzzle..and a great tradition!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter