Do you have any ODD hobbies you'd like to try?

The guy who taught me was the funniest guy. He was a total throwback from the 60's..long gray hair, bandana, tie dye shirt, Golden Retriever named Jasmine-the whole bit. He grew up then and just never left the era. I could tell you some stories about what was going down in his studio while my friend and I -little miss housewives- were in there cutting our glass. We could have been arrested right along with him!

OMG...did he move to Florida??? :eek: Sounds just like the guy I buy my glass from. You have to watch him like a hawk when he cuts glass for you. He's stoned most of the time and he cut a piece of "wispy" for me that was about an inch too short. It was for sky background and he insisted I could angle it a bit and would look "okay" for the sky to appear to be falling sideways!!! He wasn't happy to recut but I wasn't paying otherwise.

I really want to learn to bellydance.

I'd also like to learn/try:
to play the piano
kickboxing
cake decorating
parasailing
skiing
horseback riding

Bellydancing is so much fun and a really good workout. A lady at church offered to teach a class to us once. We did 2 6 week sessions. It really was more Middle Eastern style dancing than the slinky belly dancing you might think of. We made our own costumes too...long full skirts with the coins dangling at the bottom and beautiful scarves. I want to do it again!

The hobby I'd like to take up would be storm-spotting or chasing.

I DO two of the hobbies other people listed here, one of them professionally: pottery making on a wheel (selling and teaching,) and am now learning glass beadmaking, so I don't think they are so odd. :mad:

...well, okay, maybe I'm just a pyromaniac. :rotfl:

I also handpaint on silk and paint with oils and acrylics.

I've tried stained glass. ilovepcot, that's a beautiful design!

I used to play piano. I'd love to have more time to get back to that.

I'd love to try:
Cake decorating
Ballroom dancing
Fencing
Kickboxing or Tae Quondo
Rafting down some river
Jetskiing
Bread baking - except I no longer eat so much bread & carbs. But, it seems similar to working with clay.

I know a thing or two about stained glass. Would love to set you on the path! :banana:

100_1094.jpg

Beautiful. Just beautiful!

I'll be honest, one of the reasons I want to learn is to make my own stained glass light with Scottie Dogs in it for my dining room. I know enough about graphic design that I could design patterns and think the glass colors and textures are beautiful. I had a great uncle who did stained glass work and talked about how relaxing but methodical it was. Unfortunately, he isn't around anymore to teach me. Our community college sometimes offers Saturday classes. I'm not sure the schedule now. A few years ago a stained glass student left a soldering iron on and caused a fire in the building.

Another thing mentioned here that I would like to do is either dog agility or earth dog trials with my new Scottie. She just started obedience today, so I'll need to see if she has an aptitude. I took fencing in college as one of my PE credits. I didn't really like it because all the classes had to share the fencing jackets and they were washed once a semester.:scared1: We were assigned our own face masks though.

I'll be honest, one of the reasons I want to learn is to make my own stained glass light with Scottie Dogs in it for my dining room.

I took fencing in college as one of my PE credits. I didn't really like it because all the classes had to share the fencing jackets and they were washed once a semester.:scared1: We were assigned our own face masks though.

So do you just want the final result picture of the Scotties, or to do the process? You could just hire someone like iloveepcot to do the project for you. You'd actually have the picture that way, instead of waiting to take the classes to finally make the picture... that never happens.

If the only thing stopping you from taking fencing is the unwashed fencing jackets, (Ewww! :eek: ) go buy your own along with the mask to bring with you. :thumbsup2

JOCKAROO...you already know graphic design? You're well on your way! There's a program called "Glass Eye" that most glassers use now...hobbiest as well as professionals. It allows you to design anything you can dream up. I've never used any type CAD program (would help tremendously) before so I've mainly used it to size patterns and make a few minor changes in patterns I uploaded into the program. You can even upload photos and it will show you how to make it into a glass pattern! There's also a message board for tech help in using the program. (Have to google it.)

Take a look at Glass Eye by going here: http://www.dfly.com/

And IMZADI...Hey! Haven't been here in a long while and it's good to "see" you. :flower3: Thanks for the glass compliment. :hug:

I'd also like to learn/try:
to play the piano
kickboxing
cake decorating
parasailing
skiing
horseback riding

I started riding horses two years ago ( I rode when I was a child). It is one of the best things I have done for myself. I suggest you find yourself a good lesson program and take it up. I am very lucky to take lessons at a barn where lots of adults ride, and every Thursday night my girlfriends and I have a blast at our lesons. We are training for an extreme cowboy race right now, and it is an absolute thrill.:thumbsup2

I've recently started pursuing one of my 'oddball' hobbies: geocaching!
What is this? Tell me more!

Another thing mentioned here that I would like to do is either dog agility or earth dog trials with my new Scottie.
I have a westie and I'm really interested in earth dog trials, but I can't find any near me in the Nashville area.
My westie is too much of a wuss to be good at it, but I'd love to go and watch!

What is this? Tell me more!

I have a westie and I'm really interested in earth dog trials, but I can't find any near me in the Nashville area.
My westie is too much of a wuss to be good at it, but I'd love to go and watch!

This is my problem too. There really aren't any groups or trials close to me. If I was near Nashville, we could get together and start our own group. I do think my younger Scottie would like a challenge and she is a digger that is for sure. My dog just started basic obedience this week, so we have a long way before she is ready for anything like earthdog or agility. Westies are more docile than Scotties, but I bet your Westie would be willing to bark and dig at a rat!

AKC info about earthdog
http://www.akc.org/events/earthdog/index.cfm
Link to AKC event search:
http://www.akc.org/events/search/

I searched our states and the surrounding areas and there really isn't much to choose from. I guess most people don't want their dogs digging in the dirt.

Ok, so some of these may not be all that odd, but I'm going to throw them in there, just because:

- Wingsuit base-jumping http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttz5oPpF1Js (edited to add this video)
- Soapstone carving
- Parachuting
- Hang gliding
- Goldfish breeding and showing
- Raising chickens for eggs
- rock climbing
- Fly a jet
- Leaf carving
- Learn to draw with my weak hand, both feet and my mouth
- Horseback riding, eventually dressage. Maybe some jumping. Absolutely trail riding, non competitive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter