• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you have an electric can opener?

Do you have an electric can opener?

• Total voters
I used to have a battery operated one which was good, but it would die halfway through opening. So, had a back up manual one that sucked. Switched to a different manual one that is awesome and haven’t looked back. That was several years ago now.

Yes we have one, but I cannot remember the last time it was used. Usually we get stuff w/pull tabs or just grab the manual one.

I used to have an electric, it finally gave up and opened it's last can about 5 years ago.
Now I've got both types of manual - top open and side open.

I use the side slicer on poptop cans, since I absolutely detest the idiot things. Not only do they not pop half the time, they leave sharp edges in the can, and the contents don't slide out smoothly past that rim.

However, I've been having hand problems recently (thank you Arthur Itis..) and I think I may need to buy an electric again.

I don't understand why don't ALL cans have pull tabs in this and age.
They're convenient and I thought they'd naturally replace the normal cans, which look like relics.
We have manual and electric openers but to me it seems bizarre there are cans without the tabs.
Is it because companies want to save a .02 cents per can by not having the pull tabs?
I don't get it.

They wouldn't work on something like jellied cranberry sauce, for one. The pull tab tops leave a bit of a lip around the top, so the contents can't just slide out in one piece.

I don't understand why don't ALL cans have pull tabs in this and age.
They're convenient and I thought they'd naturally replace the normal cans, which look like relics.
We have manual and electric openers but to me it seems bizarre there are cans without the tabs.
Is it because companies want to save a .02 cents per can by not having the pull tabs?
I don't get it.
According to a little Google research it is primarily for two reasons.

1. Cost. Pull tops require a high quality and expensive aluminum to work properly.

2. Much like everything else in our world right now, half of consumers love them, half of consumers hate them.

According to a little Google research it is primarily for two reasons.

1. Cost. Pull tops require a high quality and expensive aluminum to work properly.

2. Much like everything else in our world right now, half of consumers love them, half of consumers hate them.

Thanks for this.
Yeah, to me 1. is the most logical, is what I thought was the reason.
2. I'm not so sure about... there are so many things that disappear from existence despite millions of ppl being in love with them, a few examples:
- McDonald's fried pies.
- Fruitopia
- 3D Doritos
- TAB cola
- JOLT cola (this hurts the most - helped me go thru high school in the 90s)
- Hawaiian Punch in cans (though still offered in some places that have those multiple flavor soda fountain machines)
- Philly cheesecake bars
And so many others...

Last edited:

We've had several over the years, but not currently. One broke about 2012 and then around 2015, more as a gag than anything else, we bought a $4 Black Friday special at Walmart. It worked 5 or 6 times and then just died in the middle of a job. Oh well, I suppose we got out money's worth. We haven't had another since.

I think we have 4 or 5 manual can openers around. I still have this baby; it was my grandmother's.

She also had a can opener that was attached with a vise to a table in her pantry, with a big crank. Something like this.

I'm not a fan of pull tab cans. They're more trouble than they're worth.

This past summer I bought 4 cans of tuna with pull tabs, Chicken of the Sea, I think. One lid came off half way and no amount of effort short of mangling the damn thing could finish yanking it off. On another can the pull tab broke off immediately when I lifted it. I was so PO'd I threw it in the trash.

I complained to the company on their Consumer Relation website, but never even got a response.

I'm not sure if those cans of puddings with pull top lids are sold anymore. Kids used to lick them and risk slicing up their tongues.

I'm not a fan of pull tab cans. They're more trouble than they're worth.

This past summer I bought 4 cans of tuna with pull tabs, Chicken of the Sea, I think. One lid came off half way and no amount of effort short of mangling the damn thing could finish yanking it off. On another can the pull tab broke off immediately when I lifted it. I was so PO'd I threw it in the trash.

I complained to the company on their Consumer Relation website, but never even got a response.

I'm not sure if those cans of puddings with pull top lids are sold anymore. Kids used to lick them and risk slicing up their tongues.

Totally agree! I've gone through more rubber scrapers getting stuff out of the cans -- that ridge just cuts through them.

Having a lid come off halfway and break happened to me once -- I used needlenose pliers to lift it off.

That may just convert me to electric! I was picturing the old under-counter thing that my parents had, with the magnet that was supposed to grab the lid.

Does it work consistently? (I noticed you said you also have a manual one, so I was wondering if there are certain types of cans it has trouble with.)

Yes, exactly. I actually looked at this on Amazon and am considering it. The OXO one I have works great, but my hands are getting arthritic and opening up a bunch of cans (typically when I batch make chili or sauce) can be painful. If this works well it might be worthwhile.

That may just convert me to electric! I was picturing the old under-counter thing that my parents had, with the magnet that was supposed to grab the lid.

Does it work consistently? (I noticed you said you also have a manual one, so I was wondering if there are certain types of cans it has trouble with.)
Yes, exactly. I actually looked at this on Amazon and am considering it. The OXO one I have works great, but my hands are getting arthritic and opening up a bunch of cans (typically when I batch make chili or sauce) can be painful. If this works well it might be worthwhile.
Sometimes I have to run it a second time on certain cans, but in general it works really well. I like that I can start it on can and work on something else at the same time the opener is working. It also takes AA batteries, so it doesn't need electricity.

i especially like it for things with lots of cans like chili and taco soup 👍🏻

Sometimes I have to run it a second time on certain cans, but in general it works really well. I like that I can start it on can and work on something else at the same time the opener is working. It also takes AA batteries, so it doesn't need electricity.

i especially like it for things with lots of cans like chili and taco soup 👍🏻
Thanks for responding—you may have me convinced!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter