Do you have a good Alfredo Sauce recipe?

Tina

Tagless and bitter about it
Does anyone have a good Alfredo sauce recipe? I've made it a few times and I kind of wing it. Its been hit or miss. I usually put about 2 Tbls of butter in a sauce pan with some heavy cream over low heat. After the butter melts, I add some shredded parmesan cheese. Sometimes the cheese gets really gummy and clumps up, other times it melts in nicely. I'm not really following measurements or anything, just tossing it all together (which is how I usually cook). What can I do to improve? How do you make yours?

This is Tyler Florence's recipe. The link also has his recipe for a pound of homemade pasta: Alfredo Sauce: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_16777,00.html

1 pint heavy cream
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Freshly cracked black pepper
Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish

To prepare alfredo sauce: Heat heavy cream over low-medium heat in a deep saute pan. Add butter and whisk gently to melt. Sprinkle in cheese and stir to incorporate. Season with freshly cracked black pepper. In a large stockpot, cook pasta in plenty of boiling salted water for 3 minutes. Quickly drain the pasta and add it to the saute pan, gently toss the noodles to coat in the alfredo. Transfer pasta to a warm serving bowl. Top with more grated cheese and chopped parsley. Serve immediately.

Wow! That's a lot of butter - I guess I need to add more. :blush:

Oh...for the parmesan cheese, don't use the stuff in the shaker box thingy. Use real grated parmesan--even if you buy it in a tub. Just don't use the dried out stuff. Huge difference!

is this as easy as it sounds?!? i always use Bertolli in a jar. I never knew it was so easy to make Alfredo sauce.

I'm gonna have to try to make some!!

aprild said:
is this as easy as it sounds?!? i always use Bertolli in a jar. I never knew it was so easy to make Alfredo sauce.

I'm gonna have to try to make some!!

It's very easy to make! It takes a little while to thicken the sauce and it has to be stirred a lot, but after the sauce has been started, cook the noodles and the sauce can cook and thicken while the pasta is cooking. Toss a salad, slice some bread, and you have an easy meal.

And yes, don't use the shaker parmesan!

1 pint heavy cream
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Freshly cracked black pepper
Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish

I also use these ingredients, but I don't cook them. I cook and drain my pasta, and then I add the cream and butter to the hot pasta and stir. When the butter is melted, I add the cheese and stir until mixed. Its really yummy!!

I use this one and it's not exactly like Olive Gardens, it's as close as any I've ever tried and I've tried quite a few. I don't make it often because it's pretty fattening. I do use unsalted butter, but that's probably optional.

http://copykat.com/asp/copykatrecipe.asp?recipe=270

Olive Garden Alfredo Sauce

Notes:
Well I finally figured out how to get that taste. Let the sauce simmer as long as you can!

Ingredients:
1 pint of Heavy Cream
1 stick of butter
2 Tbsp. Cream Cheese
1/2 - 3/4 C. Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. Garlic powder

Preparation:
In a saucepan combine butter, heavy cream, and cream cheese. Simmer this until all is melted, and mixed well. Add the Parmesan cheese and Garlic powder. Simmer this for 15 - 20 minutes on low. You may wish to season with a little salt and pepper. I have done this with half and half, but we prefer the heavy cream. But I wouldn't try it with plain milk.

Edit:

and.....I sometimes have a hard time getting it to thicken up. When that happens, I add a bit of cornstarch directly to the pan. I don't mix it with water. It's never had any ill effects on the sauce.

I had a recipe once from an Italian place. It said to add the parm cheese last and to heat thru but not to boil it. Not sure if that makes any difference. :confused3

Thanks for the Olive Garden recipe. I'll have to try it out. :thumbsup2

malibuconlee said:
I had a recipe once from an Italian place. It said to add the parm cheese last and to heat thru but not to boil it. Not sure if that makes any difference. :confused3

Thanks for the Olive Garden recipe. I'll have to try it out. :thumbsup2

Yeah, you definitely want to keep it on a very low simmer. I never bring anything to a boil that has milk products in it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter