Do you feel guilty leaving the kids at home?

The WDW 3

The WDW 3
We would really enjoy having an adult time for a few days in Disney world, but I would feel a tremendous guilt if we didn’t bring our son. We do take other trips without him, but nothing else that we do would have the appeal to him like Disney world does.

Do you have this issue? If so, how do you handle it other than waiting it out another 10+ years

No guilt whatsoever. I will say though that our kid free Disney trips only happen about every 2-3 years, when we have annual passes. My wife and I do an adults only trip every May. Sometimes just us, sometimes we invite other couples. But when our trip lines up with our annual passes we do go to Disney and don't feel guilty at all. My kids get more than their fair share of Disney and other trips.

Only you really know yourself and your child. My cousin and I dreamed for years of a 'girls only' trip and finally made it happen. What neither of us considered was the guilt she might feel leaving her children at home and the guilt was real. At the time I didn't have a child and honestly I couldn't really understand but now on this side of being a parent, I understand 100%! Personally I wouldn't enjoy myself knowing I'd left my child at home as much as I would if she was with me.

It's completely up to you and only you really know how you might feel. Some people can go and thoroughly enjoy themselves, others spend the trip constantly considering how much their child(ren) would enjoy what they're doing and feeling the guilt. Both are real and honest. Only you can guess how you might feel.

My daughter is 11 and has been to Disney more than 20 times. Could I go now and enjoy it without her? No. But, that's just me. You might be different.

We finally did a kid free Disney trip. Our kids are older, and I did feel guilty about it, but they had been that year all ready. We found that we did not need as many days or park visits while kid free, so the trip was cheaper. The ability to move around more easily and quickly was amazing. Also being able to visit restaurants and shows we wouldn't have before. We were able to just sit and enjoy the scenery while having margaritas. Pool was also nice, as we could just relax. It's a completely different trip and well worth it.

We would really enjoy having an adult time for a few days in Disney world, but I would feel a tremendous guilt if we didn’t bring our son. We do take other trips without him, but nothing else that we do would have the appeal to him like Disney world does.

Do you have this issue? If so, how do you handle it other than waiting it out another 10+ years
Why not just bring your son? I would never leave mine at home at that age, which is a prime age for Disney. That would be very hurtful.

Why not just bring your son? I would never leave mine at home at that age, which is a prime age for Disney. That would be very hurtful.

Adults love Disney as much as kids so making it a destination for couples to spend time with each other is a great idea in my opinion. And I feel like kids can put a damper on how romantic a couples trip can be, lol. I might be bias though as I have done it myself before and after years of dragging my whining kids (hungry, hot, tired, pool only) it was one of the best trips I have ever had. BUT they went when they were younger many times and things were much more magical for them. Now... they pretty much stare at their cell phones and complain. :D

Last edited:
Adults love Disney as much as kids so making it a destination for couples to spend time with each other is a great idea in my opinion. And I feel like kids can put a damper on how romantic a couples trip can be, lol. I might be bias though as I have done it myself before and after years of dragging my whining kids it was one of the best trips I have ever had. BUT they went when they were younger many times and things were much more magical for them. Now... they pretty much stare at their cell phones and complain. :D
It still is cruel to leave your 8 year-old child at home while Mom and Dad go have fun on a Disney trip that the child would like to attend.

OP, imagine how you'd feel if your husband or wife took your child to Disney World, and left you at home, even though you wanted to go. That's how you'd be making your child feel.

Last edited:
It still is cruel to leave your 8 year-old child at home while Mom and Dad go have fun on a Disney trip that the child would like to attend.

OP, imagine how you'd feel if your husband or wife took your child to Disney World, and left you at home, even though you wanted to go. That's how you'd be making your child feel.

Cruel is a bit extreme... A child is probably going to want to go on any vacation the parents go on, regardless if it is Disney World or not. It's important for parents to have time alone and equally important for the child that the parents have that time to connect. A little guilt is fine and understandable, but it's completely fine for you to take this trip sans child. If your child has been before, especially. Go enjoy yourself and the time with your spouse.

Not to make you feel guilty or whatever but just sharing my thoughts. My children will be children for so little. They'll grow up and leave the nest and start lives of their own.

My DH and I will have so much time together then. Not that we don't do the odd weekend away, but I wouldn't do Disney without my kids.

No guilt when I don't bring my 10 year old daughter. She comes to Disney with me at least 2-3 times a year, so I feel like I can go enjoy by myself. It's wonderful because I can do all the things she doesn't want to do and go at my own pace.

Go enjoy yourselves - you deserve it!

I never felt guilty. I would go solo. Husband would be at home with the kids. I started going solo when my kids were old enough to stay home alone after school.

I still call these trips my mental health trips even though my kids are grown up and my husband joins me over the weekend portion. LOL

Our "kids" are young adults (college all paid for - YEAH) and no grandkids yet. We now love Disney alone or with other couples but no one is leaving young children behind. When ours were little they went on every vacation. We had very little money and saved for everything so any vacation was very special and not a yearly happening. The kids were involved and knew what we did without and how we planned to make vacations happen. I would not have been able to go as a couple and leave kids behind. However, had we been different socioeconomically and traveled frequently to WDW or on other vacations, I would maybe have found the no kids choice easier. I agree with one post that says "to each his own". You know your personal situation and we do not. (As a child we went on one vacation when I was 13 and that was for two nights to the Henry Ford Museum. I think this made me want to have the kids with us so they could experience travel. Some folks who travel a lot may not feel this need.)

Our "kids" are young adults (college all paid for - YEAH) and no grandkids yet. We now love Disney alone or with other couples but no one is leaving young children behind. When ours were little they went on every vacation. We had very little money and saved for everything so any vacation was very special and not a yearly happening. The kids were involved and knew what we did without and how we planned to make vacations happen. I would not have been able to go as a couple and leave kids behind. However, had we been different socioeconomically and traveled frequently to WDW or on other vacations, I would maybe have found the no kids choice easier. I agree with one post that says "to each his own". You know your personal situation and we do not. (As a child we went on one vacation when I was 13 and that was for two nights to the Henry Ford Museum. I think this made me want to have the kids with us so they could experience travel. Some folks who travel a lot may not feel this need.)

Ya I think it makes a huge difference if your kids do get to go on vacations. Mine always have, we go plenty of places together as a family. So my wife and I like to get away to spend time together and WDW is usually our choice. I am not going to guilt trip myself into going somewhere else just because my kids like the same places.

=)

By "we" I assume you mean you and your spouse. I would suggest finding maybe another adult or couple to bring along, you could leave your son with them on occasion while you go do your thing. Last trip my mom came down and any time my wife and I wanted to go do something ourselves she was more than happy to watch our daughter (also 8 at the time). Honestly, I think she enjoyed exploring Disney World with Grandmom more than with us, anyway. :)

8? Shame on you 😲. Yes you’re bad parents. What are you thinking? Just kidding. I tried to get my wife to let me go by myself for a week. We have 3 kids. She did not go for it. You know what? As long as you say to yourself that you will still take him as many times as you have planned to, and you say to yourself this is what we are doing instead of Vegas, then you’re in the clear (guilt wise that is). You’re never going to be in the clear on this thread. I don’t know what other people wrote but you should shut it down before you get shamed into deep depression lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter