Do you ever feel looked down upon when staying at FW?

Mrs Gus I am officially ridiculously envious! :bounce: That's me being green with envy! Sounds like you will have an awesome time- and with three kids under age 5 here just the thought of reading a book without interuption is mind boggling :thumbsup2 Have a great time!

I have stayed at a value, moderate, OKW, Wilderness Lodge all once... but ft. wilderness cabins a dozen times.

I do feel look down upon... but we just paid $311 a night to stay at the cabin a few weeks back. NOT many of those snobs paid that much... and didn't get to relax like we did! :thumbsup2

So I have been talking with my DW about this,here's our thoughts, just go over to the resorts board and start reading some of the threads. Let's see, some I remember are, wiping down all the counters with lysol, don't let the kids walk on the carpet barefoot, bringing a crockpot, how dirty the room, shower, carpet, etc is. Then the next thread comes with "why would you camp" and starts about how they don't go on vacation to clean, cook, etc,~ HELLO, isn't that what you just did? Now, if my room, (camper) is dirty, I know who to contact. If the food is bad, I also know who to contact. If you stayed in one of the resorts, would you leave all of your coolers, (full of your favorites beverage of couse) bicycles, crockpots and whatever else out in the hall and not worry about them? We've only been to Disney 4 times, staying at Ft Wilderness the last and at other sites before, I will be really hard pressed not to stay at Ft Wilderness the next time we go. Do I feel looked down on, NO WAY, I kind of feel sorry for those that HAVE to stay in one of the cramped rooms with the dirty floors. This has been way to long, so, sorry for the rant. It's Memorial Day weekend, here I am, in my camper, sitting at a campground outside of Omaha, NE sending messages on the internet (which by the way is free at the campground), yea, I'm really roughing it bad!!! Well, have to go eat a buffet breakfast this morning so everyone have a safe and a great Memorial Day weekend, I know we are!! :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cool1: :cool1: :sunny: :sunny:

I totally love Ft. Wilderness! It's the best of two possible vacation experiences -- camping AND Disney!

Granted I was only 4 when I stayed there and we tent camped, I still have great memories of FW.

Unfortunately, my husband is kind of one of those Disney snobs who says "If I'm going to pay that much to stay at Disney they'd better give me a bed!" He's good for a weekend outdoors, definately not a nature lover like me and my girls. I'm working on him though. I have a feeling that as our girls get older, he might come around.

I guess I'm jealous of all you lucky campers!

juligrl said:
I totally love Ft. Wilderness! It's the best of two possible vacation experiences -- camping AND Disney!

Granted I was only 4 when I stayed there and we tent camped, I still have great memories of FW.

Unfortunately, my husband is kind of one of those Disney snobs who says "If I'm going to pay that much to stay at Disney they'd better give me a bed!" He's good for a weekend outdoors, definately not a nature lover like me and my girls. I'm working on him though. I have a feeling that as our girls get older, he might come around.

Try to sell him on the cabins.

When we went for breakfast at 1900 last fall, we were reminded, once again, why we WOULD NEVER stay at the Grand Floridian, even if we wanted to throw away the extra money. THe people staying there were RUDE, and their kids were BRATS!! We were in the restroom at the restaurant, and there was quite a long line. This mom came in with her 2 young daughters, and proceeded to send them to the FRONT of the line, where they then got down on there hands and knees and looked under every stall, professing what what was going on each one! All of the people in line were speechless, needless to say. I kept expecting the mother to at least repremand her children for looking under to stalls, but then she said, and I quote, "Well, as soon as that lady comes out, you can go in." I nearly opened up a can of Tennessee whoopass on her!!!! I dont think anyone would have minded.

juligrl said:

That's just it, you don't pay THAT MUCH for the campsites and also like another poster said, try to talk him into the cabins, the bed is very comfy, even the murphy bed!

Thank you for this post! What is it with these Disney snobs?! We had similar thing happen when we went in January and stayed at the Pop. My daughter was 2. We were at the hotel to sleep. We went to Disney to go to the parks not to spend a fortune on a hotel that she wouldn't quite "get" anyhow. I like to stay in diffrent acomodations every time we go, but there definately is a different mentality by some of the crowds.

Besides, if they felt that they had to indicate that they had sooooo much money, than why were they also there during the value season?

Lighten up people -- it's Disney!

sameyeyam said:
Had a similar situation this year. Stayed at Pop Century. We went to dinner at Ohana at the Polynesian, took the bus back to Downtown Disney. We had lei's from our dinner and had dressed in Hawaiian style clothing. A couple (obviously staying at the Poly) commented and asked if we had just come from the Luau. I said no, just dinner at the Ohana. They asked if we were staying at the Poly, I said no Pop Century. Well that was the end of the conversation right there, they immediately looked away! They never said another word to us the rest of the way. Glad they didn't because those are the type of people I don't care to associate with.

By the way, we had dinner at several Deluxe resorts, so took numerous buses. I really thought the Pop Century bus was more fun than any others. People seemed very friendly and had lots of fun conversations. The worst bus ride was from DD to Contemporary & Polynesian. Stuffiest bunch of people I ever met. No friendly people, no laughing, sharing experiences. BahHumBug!

What makes this funny is that I work for an extremely wealthy family, I am the Chief Financial Officer and probably make more money than most of the people staying at the Deluxe resorts! Yet I chose to stay at Pop Century! In my 15 years experience working for a wealthy family, most people with money and powerful positions are very nice people. They don't look down on others. The one's that look down on other's are usually the Wannabe's. You find them in any economic bunch, they try to elevate their own status by looking down on others.

I would be camping at FW if I could, we live in Washington state and are a little too far to pull our trailer across the country!

So be proud of who you are, enjoy your camping and don't worry what anyone else thinks or says!
:) :) :)

juligrl said:
Thank you for this post! What is it with these Disney snobs?! We had similar thing happen when we went in January and stayed at the Pop. My daughter was 2. We were at the hotel to sleep. We went to Disney to go to the parks not to spend a fortune on a hotel that she wouldn't quite "get" anyhow. I like to stay in diffrent acomodations every time we go, but there definately is a different mentality by some of the crowds.
You shouldn't ever feel the need to justify your choice to stay at a value resort. There are a zillion reasons who someone would choose Pop over a deluxe resort, and they are all good ones! We're all the same once we pass through the park gates anyway. :)

Well, some of us are nicer. :rotfl2:

ZPT1022 said:
I've also had people think that there is something odd about wanting a Honda. "What if you won the lottery? Would you still drive Hondas? You wouldn't get a BMW or a Mercedes or something better?" To which I answered NO. What works for us works for us and it's not going to work any worse just because our financial picture changes a bit. How silly is that. We personally like Hondas anyhow but 2 1/2 years ago I was in an accident in my Honda Accord and that car literally saved my life. To DH and myself there's a lot worse reasons to have brand loyalty than that.
People are funny about their cars, true. I work in real estate and most of my coworkers have nice cars, but all different ones.

We love our Honda Accord and our Toyota Sienna minivan. If we won the lottery, there's a good chance we'd replace the Honda with an Acura or Lexus, but not right away. The minivan, well, there's no luxury replacement for it at the moment. You just can't beat the safety and space of a minivan!

Maybe for towing our popup we'd get a...wait...if we won the lottery we'd get a new trailer. And then we'd need a new tow vehicle! I think we could find a Lexus that could tow a new hybrid trailer. :teeth:

I haven't read all the replies in this thread so if I'm repeating I apologize. Prior to buying into DVC we always stayed at the FW Cabins. We commented many times that the people in the campground just seemed more down to earth.

Now that we stay at the DVC resorts we run into the resort "snobs" on a regular basis. Don't get me wrong, we enjoy the deluxe resorts, but sometimes we just shake our heads at the people who thing they're above everyone else. I could tell you stories.......... Our kids sigh and say "I miss the campground" on a regular basis.

I'm proud we've instilled those down to earth values in our kids so that they don't think they're better than anyone else just based on the resort (or position in life for that matter) we're staying in.

I have to chuckle at this thread. DH and I have never stayed at the Fort, but we got a little taste of how people are treated that do. Rewind almost 2 years ago... DH and I were staying in a beautiful courtyard view room at the WL. We had ADR's at Trail's End (one of the best buffets on property IMHO...) for an early breakfast one morning- so we caught the boat to FW. The boat happened to be really crowded that morning- and when we arrived at FW DH and I got up to get off and some ***** guy on the boat says to his wife- "see... those people didn't have enough $ to stay at our resort- they just camp and come over to use all our stuff". I'm still not sure to this day what "stuff" he was referencing, but man-oh-man did I ever want to turn around and give him a piece of my mind! :furious: DH just laughed it off.

ElleBelle said:
I have to chuckle at this thread. DH and I have never stayed at the Fort, but we got a little taste of how people are treated that do. Rewind almost 2 years ago... DH and I were staying in a beautiful courtyard view room at the WL. We had ADR's at Trail's End (one of the best buffets on property IMHO...) for an early breakfast one morning- so we caught the boat to FW. The boat happened to be really crowded that morning- and when we arrived at FW DH and I got up to get off and some ***** guy on the boat says to his wife- "see... those people didn't have enough $ to stay at our resort- they just camp and come over to use all our stuff". I'm still not sure to this day what "stuff" he was referencing, but man-oh-man did I ever want to turn around and give him a piece of my mind! :furious: DH just laughed it off.

:furious: OMG! I probably paid more then he did ~ the cabins cost us over $300 a night. Grrrrrr!

Sorry you felt that way, OP! Those comments were very rude. Just remember- money does NOT buy class. I see proof of that every day. And I'd rather have class, btw.

It reminds me of the Passat ads ("because I'm compensating for my shortcomings" "because daddy didn't hug me enough" etc.)

I haven't done the FW thing, but I wouldn't rule it out. Those cabins are nice! Not the best choice for just two, but awesome for a family. I've been camping (BF loves it) and it seems that it would be better in Disney, as you have other benefits.

Try and remind yourself that your happiness is what matters and that no one should make you feel that your vacation choices aren't "good enough".

(OT: My SIL does the same thing to me w/ WDW. "Why don't you go to Hawaii/Europe, etc. There are so many great places to go, instead of just Disney, etc." Disney's good enough for me!)

juligrl said:
Yeah right! I'm waaaay to cheap for the cabins! I'm a tent camper through and through (tent trash?)!

:lmao: tent trash! Ohhhh too funny!

OMG, I AM a resort snob! I would never stay in a tent!! :p OR a pop - up for that matter.
Hanging head in shame~ after all this time I never thought as myself as a resort snob....

Hello Board,
My name is dizneydiva and I AM a resort snob. I think maybe the word 'diva' in my name gave me away? But in my own defense, I don't think staying in a cabin is a snob.... after all, I'm not staying at the GF! Right? :blush:

dizneydiva2005
Some people are not happy campers and thats ok. But, to put someone down because they are is just rude. Im not saying you did. Just to the people who have.

Lululovesdisney hit the nail on the head! Money does not buy class!
Nor will it buy brains, happiness, love...ect...

I cant wait to camp at disney! Ill have more money to buy more stuff!!

LauraAnn630 said:
dizneydiva2005
Some people are not happy campers and thats ok. But, to put someone down because they are is just rude. Im not saying you did. Just to the people who have.

Lululovesdisney hit the nail on the head! Money does not buy class!
Nor will it buy brains, happiness, love...ect...

I cant wait to camp at disney! Ill have more money to buy more stuff!!

I didn't put down anyone~ except myself. I couldn't tent camp... but that's for alot of reasons... due mainly because of health. I was joking around because suddenly I sounded like a resort snob. :rotfl:
I'm one that agreed that staying at ft. wilderness seemed to put us in a lower class to other's on property... when in fact, we stay at one of the most relaxing resort available. I love Ft. Wilderness and have stayed there 13 times. Trail's End restaurant is our favorite and it's the cheapest on property!

I've been following this thread and I wasn't going to reply, because, every time I try, I found myself putting labels on someone (ei. affluent, rich, working, etc.) based on money. The truth is that this has nothing to do with money and everything to do with being nice. I don't understand why anyone could make comments about other people based on where they are staying. When I get off the boat at FW with my children, the last thing I want hear is comments that we may not be as good as someone else. based on where we are staying. Dh and I work very hard to instill non-snobish values in our children. I don't want them to hear that kind of nonsense! It's not nice.

It is not only rude...because they are assuming that it costs less to stay at FW...but it's really very ignorant. They are showing their stupidity. The cabins cost more than the rooms at the WL...and there are a bunch of folks in their fancy rigs that could likely buy and sell those booking a room at the Lodge for a week. They just don't have any knowledge regarding RV'ing and assume everyone staying at FW is there to save a buck...which is possible by the way..there is NOTHING wrong withthat. Only there are likely a whole lot more staying there because camping is a lifestyle...Jeeze...although it probably it is better that they don't know what they are missing! Personally, I don't know if I'd keep too quiet if I were to hear someone making those sort of negative comments after reading this thread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter