Do you display US flags or have red, white and blue out?

Watch the World Cup in November and you'll hear each nation's national anthem before every game. That is unless the stadium announcer plays the wrong one by accident. It isn't only a tradition in the US.

I grew up watching Hockey Night in Canada, before we had cable (the wonders of living in a border town!). If the anthem was a uniquely US tradition, I wouldn't know all the words to Oh Canada.

I thought of this thread today while I was out running errands. These guys/gals are set up on the grass between the sidewalk and street in front of the mall closest to me. They don't have any political or organization signs, no indication of any affiliation or purpose. They're just a bunch of people, wearing signs labeling themselves patriots, waving flags and screaming "God Bless America" and other such slogans at traffic.

Attachments

• flagwavers.jpg
    flagwavers.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 16
I grew up watching Hockey Night in Canada, before we had cable (the wonders of living in a border town!). If the anthem was a uniquely US tradition, I wouldn't know all the words to Oh Canada.

I thought of this thread today while I was out running errands. These guys/gals are set up on the grass between the sidewalk and street in front of the mall closest to me. They don't have any political or organization signs, no indication of any affiliation or purpose. They're just a bunch of people, wearing signs labeling themselves patriots, waving flags and screaming "God Bless America" and other such slogans at traffic.
:D Well, America needs a lot of help! As a Christian, not sure God is going to deliver it though.

Nope, I don’t fly an American flag at my house. The people around me that fly American (and confederate) flags aren’t people I want to be associated with.

Nice, NOT! So, you're making a judgement about a person based on whether or not they fly the American flag in their yard? What a shallow and superficial way to form an opinion about someone. I'm sure hoping you're not my neighbor. :crazy2::sad2::rolleyes2

Nice, NOT! So, you're making a judgement about a person based on whether or not they fly the American flag in their yard? What a shallow and superficial way to form an opinion about someone. I'm sure hoping you're not my neighbor. :crazy2::sad2::rolleyes2

It is interesting how many responses have made that leap rather than taking it to mean that people know their neighbors well enough to know which ones they would and wouldn't want to be associated with. I don't assume the kind of people my neighbors are based on flag/no flag. I know what kind of people they are and have observed a pattern in which ones fly the flag... and have noticed that they're the sort that were the reason the city had to send out a mailing with our water bills reminding residents that political signs/flags are fine but profanity is not. So I choose not to put myself in that group, even superficially.

No matter anyone’s political leanings, I just feel the confederate flag has no place in society outside of a museum. My ancestors were Union soldiers so I hate seeing it anywhere.
Edit: I should note that no one should prejudge anyone just for flying the American flag.

Last edited:
It is interesting how many responses have made that leap rather than taking it to mean that people know their neighbors well enough to know which ones they would and wouldn't want to be associated with. I don't assume the kind of people my neighbors are based on flag/no flag. I know what kind of people they are and have observed a pattern in which ones fly the flag... and have noticed that they're the sort that were the reason the city had to send out a mailing with our water bills reminding residents that political signs/flags are fine but profanity is not. So I choose not to put myself in that group, even superficially.
Exactly this. I know who these people are and the values they feel comfortable expressing. And those are not my values.

Exactly this. I know who these people are and the values they feel comfortable expressing. And those are not my values.
I think the point (which has been shared by a few others too in this thread) is that you're making a presumption based on the flag but then saying it's about the individual person.

Presumably you wouldn't like these neighbors irrespective of a flag or not and presumably you have known someone in your life some point of it at least who was not like these neighbors you don't like but have also flown a flag.

That's I think the point. If you know your neighbors well enough them you should be able to distinguish that they are that way, not that the act of flying a flag is making them this way.

When you use the flag as a means of judging I'm not sure you're making yourself be the person you think you are. It's judgement regardless something of which I suspect those flag bearing neighbors are doing..just in a way that is distasteful to you.

I think the point (which has been shared by a few others too in this thread) is that you're making a presumption based on the flag but then saying it's about the individual person.

Presumably you wouldn't like these neighbors irrespective of a flag or not and presumably you have known someone in your life some point of it at least who was not like these neighbors you don't like but have also flown a flag.

That's I think the point. If you know your neighbors well enough them you should be able to distinguish that they are that way, not that the act of flying a flag is making them this way.

When you use the flag as a means of judging I'm not sure you're making yourself be the person you think you are. It's judgement regardless something of which I suspect those flag bearing neighbors are doing..just in a way that is distasteful to you.
There’s a lot of truth to that. There’s also the specificity of this place in time and this place in space and who flies a flag within those two, and how I compare myself to them, and how I want others to compare me to them.

There’s a lot of truth to that. There’s also the specificity of this place in time and this place in space and who flies a flag within those two, and how I compare myself to them, and how I want others to compare me to them.
That's a shame IMO, not how you feel mind you it's how you feel after all, but that people spend their time looking at a house with a flag and say "they must be those kind of people" or "they must have those types of values" but said in a way such that "I am not who they are" and "I don't share those values"

Introspectively I wonder how that makes someone any different than the flag bearer? The principle of it not whatever values you're directly speaking to (which I know hard to discuss on this Board and thread in particular).

Neither are "winning" if that's what is going on IMO.

Nope, I don’t fly an American flag at my house. The people around me that fly American (and confederate) flags aren’t people I want to be associated with.

The OP didn't say he or she knew the people. What he or she said was that because they flew the flag he/she didn't want to associate with them. I don't know anything about why your city had to send out notices, that isn't really part of the conversation. I do know that I find it offensive when people fly BLM flags especially now that they have been found to be opportunists just out to make a buck and not doing anything with that money to help the black community, the very people they supposedly represent. That and I also feel that all lives matter.

The reason I fly my flag is because I'm proud to be an American, I feel blessed to have been born in this country that allows each of us the right to express our opinions. So many men and women have given so much, their lives or lost limbs or just given years of their life to give us the many freedoms we all enjoy in this country, that is the reason I fly my flag.

The OP didn't say he or she knew the people. What he or she said was that because they flew the flag he/she didn't want to associate with them. I don't know anything about why your city had to send out notices, that isn't really part of the conversation. I do know that I find it offensive when people fly BLM flags especially now that they have been found to be opportunists just out to make a buck and not doing anything with that money to help the black community, the very people they supposedly represent. That and I also feel that all lives matter.

The reason I fly my flag is because I'm proud to be an American, I feel blessed to have been born in this country that allows each of us the right to express our opinions. So many men and women have given so much, their lives or lost limbs or just given years of their life to give us the many freedoms we all enjoy in this country, that is the reason I fly my flag.
Black Lives Matter is a decentralized political movement, not a single organization. Lots of organizations make Black Lives Matter signs (I don't recall seeing flags). Additionally, those who display the phrase "Black Lives Matter" also believe that every life matters, but they think a reminder about Black lives in specific is important, because of the additional stressors that Black people face in society.

Being mindful of Disboard rules and not to take this thread off track. I'm curious as to why people fly the flags. We don't have this tradition and I like learning about the customs and traditions in other countries :)

• Family tradition - your parents and family members did, so its something you just keep going in your own house
  • Your parents and family members did not fly a flag but you want to for your own personal reasons (which Im not asking about, as I know its very derisive)
  • The house you live in came with a flag pole so you thought it would be a nice thing to do
  • Most of the neighbours do and you like the way the neighbourhood looks with all the houses decorated.

Being mindful of Disboard rules and not to take this thread off track. I'm curious as to why people fly the flags. We don't have this tradition and I like learning about the customs and traditions in other countries :)

• Family tradition - your parents and family members did, so its something you just keep going in your own house
  • Your parents and family members did not fly a flag but you want to for your own personal reasons (which Im not asking about, as I know its very derisive)
  • The house you live in came with a flag pole so you thought it would be a nice thing to do
  • Most of the neighbours do and you like the way the neighbourhood looks with all the houses decorated.
From discussions I've had, some people display the flag so they'll fit in. Everyone in the neighborhood might not be flying the flag, but everyone who matters does.

From discussions I've had, some people display the flag so they'll fit in. Everyone in the neighborhood might not be flying the flag, but everyone who matters does.
Thats interesting, we kinda have the same here at Christmas in the last 20 years. Decorating houses for Christmas was never really a thing in Ireland but each year now more and more houses are decorated and its getting more elaborate. You can defiantly see where X house is the first to put up the Christmas lights and how they decorate and then a week or so later other houses have a similar design.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter