Do you charge family and friends?

because of the cost of living crisis for our last trip to Aulani we actually charged 80% of the going rate for a cash room.
I began looking at Aulani for my 40th in 2025, but once I learned I would likely need an Ocean View to book since we own at Poly, I had to take it off the table (it would require two years of points for a week). I would still love to go someday, but may be easier when it’s just the wife and me or we have more points... Not sure which one is first since the last boy won’t be out for 15 more years.

80% versus rack is still a gift these days.

You lost me there.
There’s an availability chart based on the past five years of DVC bookings, plus anecdotal evidence on the DisBoards, that presents the idea that a non-Aulani owner can only book a 1BR at Aulani at the 7-month mark in an ocean view room. Everything else books up.

I could be totally wrong. I would love to be wrong. I’m a planner, so I am not really comfortable finding out at the 7-month mark that I wouldn’t be able to take my wife and three boys to Hawaii unless it meant 400+ points for a week there (we live near Chicago, so a week is the minimum).

If you know something I don’t, and honestly, I know you do based on all of your previous posts, I am open to hearing more. My boys were very excited when I first floated the idea of a Hawaiian vacation in 2025. Felt kind of mean walking it back, actually.

As new members within the past year, yes. My wife and I decided the dues for their portion of the points was a fair compromise of sacrificing our finances for them to go on a vacation. We paid a lot of money to become members and once we are a few years removed from the buy in, we may not charge family anything or friends that are like family.

For this upcoming trip, they asked if they could tag along and mentioned they weren’t trying to go for “free” just wanted a better deal

As new members within the past year, yes. My wife and I decided the dues for their portion of the points was a fair compromise of sacrificing our finances for them to go on a vacation. We paid a lot of money to become members and once we are a few years removed from the buy in, we may not charge family anything or friends that are like family.

For this upcoming trip, they asked if they could tag along and mentioned they weren’t trying to go for “free” just wanted a better deal
We are new to DVC too. First trip was this past August. Loved the entire trip. Thankfully, we’ve had no one reach out. My parents have DVC, so all of my siblings have had comped trips recently. I joke that our trip with them was the most expensive free trip ever.

We are the only ones of my siblings who decided DVC was something we wanted and/or could afford to pay cash. Any invitations have been ones offered by us. If I had people asking, my generosity might be a bit less. I’m cynical. We did offer some members of my wife’s family out of obligation. Thankfully both invites were not accepted (both parties hate crowds and expensive places) but they obligatory so we had to get them out of the way.

But for friends we want to experience WDW with, it’s our pleasure to treat.

There’s an availability chart based on the past five years of DVC bookings, plus anecdotal evidence on the DisBoards, that presents the idea that a non-Aulani owner can only book a 1BR at Aulani at the 7-month mark in an ocean view room. Everything else books up.

I could be totally wrong. I would love to be wrong. I’m a planner, so I am not really comfortable finding out at the 7-month mark that I wouldn’t be able to take my wife and three boys to Hawaii unless it meant 400+ points for a week there (we live near Chicago, so a week is the minimum).

If you know something I don’t, and honestly, I know you do based on all of your previous posts, I am open to hearing more. My boys were very excited when I first floated the idea of a Hawaiian vacation in 2025. Felt kind of mean walking it back, actually.
Well, you’re an owner so you can check yourself, but right now, most of April and the entire month of May is open for every 1BR category at Aulani.

Well, you’re an owner so you can check yourself, but right now, most of April and the entire month of May is open for every 1BR category at Aulani.
We were looking for a bit later in the summer months (end of May through August, as school schedules dictate our lives these days). Probably diminishes our chances some. I was just hoping you would say, check again, it’s not that bad. But I love the research and planning, so I’ll take a deeper look to see if it’s a real option.

Always appreciate your input. Thank you!!

Hey, when you bring family and or friends on your DVC, do you charge them for their room? Or do you just ‘pay’ for the hotel? Do you charge them the cost of your dues only? Going rate for rentals? Dues + amortized buy in cost? Or do you just not bring anyone else on your points?

I’m just a bit curious how others handle it.

Don't forget, the extra points you might have ARE NOT FREE. Even if you have paid off their contract, you are still paying yearly Maintenance/Membership fees. And if someone asks you if they can 'have your points for free,' you should explain to them that using the points is only 'discounted,' and if you give them away for free, it isn't 'even.' Instead, you are losing money, because you still have to pay money to use them.

If family or friends go with me, I do not usually charge them. And, of course, though I often make my own plans, I frequently adjust my plans to go along with those of the family and friends. Usually, we stay together in 1 or 2 units, but last year there was one trip where I had reserved 3 units, all of them 2 bedrooms, and I used points for them without asking compensation. However, one of the family groups in one unit DID offer to pay me and sent me a reasonable amount of money. Which I appreciate and it shows they were thoughtful, but I didn't ask for it, or mention it to the other parties.

If I have extra points that I'm not particularly planning to use, I MIGHT give them to the family and friends, as long as they don't make a habit out of it.

BUT, if I was planning to bank them, or have possible plans to use them in the next year or so, then I don't give them away for free. Instead, I typically charge the family or friends about $10 a point, which covers cost for maintenance fees.

We were looking for a bit later in the summer months (end of May through August, as school schedules dictate our lives these days). Probably diminishes our chances some. I was just hoping you would say, check again, it’s not that bad. But I love the research and planning, so I’ll take a deeper look to see if it’s a real option.

Have you checked these availability tables: https://www.dvcfieldguide.com/availability-tables. Other than Christmas and New Year June is definitely the hardest time to get, but if you want a 1 bedroom you still shouldn't have a problem getting an Island or Poolside view at that time. It's only the standard views that would be very difficult.

If you're only looking at studios then you should still be able to get Island or Poolside in May or August, and you'd probably get an Island view in July too! It's only hotel rooms and standard view that you really need to dismiss.

We've been to Aulani twice in May and not had any issues getting the rooms we wanted. By room numbers for studios and 1 bedrooms I believe there are 18 standard, 31 poolside, 92 island and 104 ocean, so although island is cheaper than poolside it tends to be a lot easier to book.
If you have enough points for an ocean view OR a 1 bedroom it is unlikely you wouldn't be able to get a room at most times of the year except for Christmas/New Year. Thankfully, you don't need enough for both!

Last edited:

Let me jump in for you,,non Aulani members, we had no issue booking for late July last year,2022. Actually had 10 days booked Island view 1 bdrm and scored high room looking at the Luau. So check yourself,,and have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter