Do you call your parents mommy and daddy?

I'm definitely not from the South and my two sisters and I called our father, "Daddy." He died several years ago but, in conversations with each other and our mother, we still refer to him as Daddy. Our mother was most often called "Mom" but if one of us is feeling sentimental, we've been known to call her "Mommy." She's 78.

In conversation with other people, I call them my parents or my mom or my dad.

DD is almost 20 and still calls me Mommy although her father is always Dad.

I live in the north and I'm 24 and I call my parents Mommy and Daddy. Both of my parents also use those terms for their parents as well.

I say Ma and Dad. If I'm talking about them to non family members I tend to say my mother or my father. My kids 6 and 10 both call me mama but mostly mom. My youngest mostly says daddy. My oldest says dad but she is really good at the sweet sounding Daddy can you ....

I call them Mom and Daddy.

I never called my mom "Mommy" after the age of probably 11. Don't know why...

But, Daddy is and always will be Daddy! (or Pookie!)

EDIT: I am from the South.

I'm an Oklahoma girl who will call my father "Daddy" until the day I die! Just as my grandmother called her father, and my mother called her father, and my DD calls my husband.:)
As for my mother, I call her Mom if I'm talking to her, and Mother if I'm talking about her. I'm not sure why I do that, I just do. I will call her Mommy on occasion, but only if I'm trying to be funny or cute.

I call my parents Mommy and Daddy (sometimes Mom and Dad) and I am 41. My uncle called my grandmother Mommy until she died (she was 91 he was 74). I do think it is more typical in the South.

To the posters who are "disturbed" or "creeped out" about this I respectfully say, "Those thoughts are your own and are not a reflection of my relationship with my parents."

And I have a great relationship with my parents (who are right now at Universal Studios having fun!).

I call them Mom and either "my father" or his given name. My father wasn't around when I was growing up, so there isn't really a father/daughter relationship there, even though I think he's an okay guy.

When I was little I called my mother Mama... I don't know when I stopped doing that. "Mama" was the name my mother chose for herself, because she hated "Mommy" and swore I'd never learn to call her that. She thought it was whiny.

Personally, though, I think my mother is a person of strong opinions and I frequently don't agree with her. Me, I don't see anything wrong with Mommy, Mom, Ma, Madre, Ama, Mere, Anya, Haha (Japanese!), Ammee... or any of a million other things people have come up with. I don't think it says a darned thing about anybody's relationship with their parents or their level of maturity. It's just a word! But, you know, I'm not judgmental that way. ;)

50 year old and my dad was Pop or Poppi until the day he died. My mother was mom.

I don't think it is creepy, per say for an adult to call their parent's mommy and daddy. But, for myself it feels awkward or uncomfortable. Daddy doesn't bother me, I guess because I am from the south and it is fairly commonplace. But, mommy just seems very strange. Mommy just sounds like an odd thing coming out of an adult's mouth unless referring to herself to her small child.

Nothing wrong with it, to each their own.

I called my mom, "mom". Dad was usually "daddy. I have friends that call their mom's Mommy. No biggie to me. Sometimes my DD who is is 11 calls me mommy. I LOVE it.

To even remotely imply that there is something wrong with "mommy" or "daddy" is just wrong and to me equally disturbing that a person would assume that.

I lost both of my parents within the past 5 years, it really does hit a nerve when someone attacks the way you do something that involves your deceased parents, doesn't it?

THIS.....EXACTLY. :headache:

The remark is offensive (actually, offensive doesn't even begin to describe it) not only to me, but even more so, to my late parents. It is extremely disrespectful in the worst way to the people I loved most in the world. :sad2: To imply vile things simply because of the word one uses to identify their parents....Now THAT is what is disturbing.

I'll put on my flame suit. I cringe every time I hear a grown woman call her father "daddy." I guess whatever floats your boat & all but to me it sounds wrong coming from anyone over 10.

Sorry. Flame away.

No flames from me. :)

I definitely think it's cultural, though...I think in Canada (at least in the regions I've lived), it would be considered childish to call your parents mommy and daddy after about the age of 6 or 7.
For me it's a habit. I call my parents Mommy & Daddy, I'm 21 and from Toronto. I even call my Mom 'Mama' sometimes. It depends on the mood I'm in, sometimes It's Mom/Dad or Mommy/Daddy or Mama.

And I don't see anything "disturbing" about it. I love my parents and we're very close, my Mama calls me 'Baby' sometimes still, and like I said, I'm 21.

My parents are long gone, but I think I probably used Daddy longer than Mommy. Truthfully, I don't ever remember using Mommy. I used MaMa until I was 7 or 8 and then it was Mom. I think I stopped using the term Daddy at around 11 or so. After that, it was Dad.

Oh, and I was born and raised in Louisiana, and this was the norm where I grew up.

I, personally, don't care what anyone else calls their parents -- as long as it is respectful, of course. However, I will admit to an inward chuckle when I hear an adult use "mommy" and "daddy" when talking about their own parents -- esp Mommy. I will also add that I never heard this until I moved to New York, so I always thought it was a northern thing. LOL!!!

i thinks its an ozarks or southern thing-but i called my father Daddy til the day he died. My cousins-all of them-refer to their fathers as Daddy-and we are all in our late 40s. Dad is my Father in law. I dont think i ever called my mother mommy-except when i was small.-Mom, MOTHER! or JoyD ( her name is Joy Delaine and my dad always called her JoyD). My sons-who are in their 20s will call me Mommy occaissonally in jest (usually preceding a request for $$$) but not regularly.

You really don't see how that could come across as insulting? Really?

When you ask for opinions, you get them. She didn't say people ARE that way she said that's what she feels. I also think that way and have to remind myself that it is a cultural thing for some people.

Every single person on earth has things they do that others don't understand. Part of being able to understand each other is the discussion of why it seems unusual to us.

To me, the terms mommy and daddy are "babytalk" so it seems strange when adults use them as if they are not. My husband uses the terms sometimes and I don't like it at all because it creeps me out. That doesn't mean I think he's a pervert, just that it bugs me because I perceive it differently than he does.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter