Do you believe in cosmic communication?

Wow.

My mom died unexpectedly. She was in remission from leukemia, but I had stopped worrying. One early morning I was asleep. Suddenly woke up and sat bolt upright saying "what?" Looked around in the darkness, no one is there at all. No noises, no nothing. Went back to sleep.

15 minutes later my stepdad calls me to tell me that my mom had been taken to the hospital, that the EMTs were doing chest compressions as they took her from the house, but it didn't look good at all. When he got to the hospital, they had already declared her dead. But really, she already was; doesn't take that long to bleed out due to blood thinners and an undiagnosed (despite every sign you could possibly have, which were ignored, "Hmm"ed, and even appreciated (4 rounds of chemo and was never nauseated until just before her death, and the doctors were happy that she was finally "normal")) bleeding ulcer.

She had swung by my place to say "bye".

Something similar happened to me.

My nephew died unexpectedly one morning. At around 6:00 AM that day, I had a dream that a man (my nephew was tall) was standing over me. It was so real that I bolted awake, convinced that someone had broken into my apartment. I searched my apartment before I could get back to sleep.

I found out hours later that my nephew had died. I think he came by to say good-bye.

I believe in it as well.

My mom was very upset over the death of one of her brothers. His ashes were in AZ and she wanted them in MI. He came to me in my dream one night shortly after his deaht and told me to tell my mom that he was alright. He was standing across the street from my parents house leaning up against a tree and told me he knew how upset my mom was but that he was home and he was safe and I had to tell her. I called her the next morning and told her what he said and she just cried on the phone with me. It helped her alot to hear what I said. It gave her comfort.

When my mom died she did the same thing - paid me a little visit to let me know that she was alright. Every once in a while I see her in my dreams and I know she is still with me.

There is tons of evidence all around us every day! It's a matter of what you want to try to understand and choose to believe.

Oftentimes it takes a personal experience to begin to explore the possiblity.

Not thinking I'll change anyone's mind who believes otherwise (nor do I care to), but disbelievers have no real evidence it all comes to a complete end, either.

It's all a matter of personal belief and experience.

Personal belief isn't evidence. It's personal belief. Anecdotes aren't evidence. Empirical evidence is quantifiable and reproducible. And there isn't any as far as the supernatural is concerned.

As for there being no evidence that there is no supernatural, as Carl Sagan was fond of saying, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof." In the absense of any proof, there is no reason to believe in an alternative universe, ghosts, spirits or any other supernatural phenomenon.

Personal belief isn't evidence. It's personal belief. Anecdotes aren't evidence. Empirical evidence is quantifiable and reproducible. And there isn't any as far as the supernatural is concerned.

As for there being no evidence that there is no supernatural, as Carl Sagan was fond of saying, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof." In the absense of any proof, there is no reason to believe in an alternative universe, ghosts, spirits or any other supernatural phenomenon.

Very well said, Pigeon.

Pim van Lommel, M.D.: Continuity of Consciousness, study published in medical journal The Lancet.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...W4qCcj&sig=AHIEtbRY3k6bfIjr6XpEVRLb3Uk4rv_wSg

http://iands.org/research/important...an-lommel-md-continuity-of-consciousness.html

And as William Shatner said, "I think the supernatural is a catch-all for everything we don't understand about the vast other parts of life that we cannot perceive." ;)

And for those who enjoy this type of thing:

“Suddenly I began to find a strange meaning in old fairy-tales; woods, rivers, mountains, became living beings; mysterious life filled the night; with new interests and new expectations I began to dream again of distant travels; and I remembered many extraordinary things that I had heard about old monasteries. Ideas and feelings which had long since ceased to interest me suddenly began to assume significance and interest. A deep meaning and many subtle allegories appeared in what only yesterday had seemed to be naive popular fantasy or crude superstition. And the greatest mystery and the greatest miracle was that the thought became possible that death may not exist, that those who have gone may not have vanished altogether, but exist somewhere and somehow, and that perhaps I may see them again. I have become so accustomed to think "scientifically" that I am afraid even to imagine that there may be something else beyond the outer covering of life. I feel like a man condemned to death, whose companions have been hanged and who has already become reconciled to the thought that the same fate awaits him; and suddenly he hears that his companions are alive, that they have escaped and that there is hope also for him. And he fears to believe this, because it would be so terrible if it proved to be false, and nothing would remain but prison and the expectation of execution.” ― P.D. Ouspensky, A New Model of the Universe

"Death is simply a shedding of the physical body like the butterfly shedding its cocoon. It is a transition to a higher state of consciousness where you continue to perceive, to understand, to laugh, and to be able to grow." - Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, MD

"I've told my children that when I die, to release balloons in the sky to celebrate that I graduated. For me, death is a graduation." - Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, MD

Learn to get in touch with the silence within yourself, and know that everything in life has purpose. There are no mistakes, no coincidences. All events are blessings given to us to learn from." - Elizabeth Kubler-Ross, MD

"The sheer volume of evidence for survival after death is so immense that to ignore it is like standing at the foot of Mount Everest and insisting that you cannot see the mountain." - Colin Wilson

"A miracle is not the breaking of physical laws, but rather represents laws which are incomprehensible to us." – Guirdjieff

"The modern tradition of equating death with an ensuing nothingness can be abandoned. For there is no reason to believe that human death severs the quality of the oneness in the universe." - Larry Dossey, MD

"I have absolutely no fear of death. From my near-death research and my personal experiences, death is, in my judgment, simply a transition into another kind of reality." - Raymond Moody, MD, PhD

“What do I think happens when we die? I think we enter into another stage of existence or another state of consciousness that is so extraordinarily different from the reality we have here in the physical world that the language we have is not yet adequate to describe this other state of existence or consciousness. Based on what I have heard from thousands of people, we enter into a realm of joy, light, peace, and love in which we discover that the process of knowledge does not stop when we die. Instead, the process of learning and development goes on for eternity.” – Raymond Moody, MD, PhD

“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.” – Raymond Moody, MD, PhD

And for those who enjoy this type of thing:

“Suddenly I began to find a strange meaning in old fairy-tales; woods, rivers, mountains, became living beings; mysterious life filled the night; with new interests and new expectations I began to dream again of distant travels; and I remembered many extraordinary things that I had heard about old monasteries. Ideas and feelings which had long since ceased to interest me suddenly began to assume significance and interest. A deep meaning and many subtle allegories appeared in what only yesterday had seemed to be naive popular fantasy or crude superstition. And the greatest mystery and the greatest miracle was that the thought became possible that death may not exist, that those who have gone may not have vanished altogether, but exist somewhere and somehow, and that perhaps I may see them again. I have become so accustomed to think "scientifically" that I am afraid even to imagine that there may be something else beyond the outer covering of life. I feel like a man condemned to death, whose companions have been hanged and who has already become reconciled to the thought that the same fate awaits him; and suddenly he hears that his companions are alive, that they have escaped and that there is hope also for him. And he fears to believe this, because it would be so terrible if it proved to be false, and nothing would remain but prison and the expectation of execution.” ― P.D. Ouspensky, A New Model of the Universe

"Death is simply a shedding of the physical body like the butterfly shedding its cocoon. It is a transition to a higher state of consciousness where you continue to perceive, to understand, to laugh, and to be able to grow." - Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, MD

"I've told my children that when I die, to release balloons in the sky to celebrate that I graduated. For me, death is a graduation." - Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, MD

Learn to get in touch with the silence within yourself, and know that everything in life has purpose. There are no mistakes, no coincidences. All events are blessings given to us to learn from." - Elizabeth Kubler-Ross, MD

"The sheer volume of evidence for survival after death is so immense that to ignore it is like standing at the foot of Mount Everest and insisting that you cannot see the mountain." - Colin Wilson

"A miracle is not the breaking of physical laws, but rather represents laws which are incomprehensible to us." – Guirdjieff

"The modern tradition of equating death with an ensuing nothingness can be abandoned. For there is no reason to believe that human death severs the quality of the oneness in the universe." - Larry Dossey, MD

"I have absolutely no fear of death. From my near-death research and my personal experiences, death is, in my judgment, simply a transition into another kind of reality." - Raymond Moody, MD, PhD

“What do I think happens when we die? I think we enter into another stage of existence or another state of consciousness that is so extraordinarily different from the reality we have here in the physical world that the language we have is not yet adequate to describe this other state of existence or consciousness. Based on what I have heard from thousands of people, we enter into a realm of joy, light, peace, and love in which we discover that the process of knowledge does not stop when we die. Instead, the process of learning and development goes on for eternity.” – Raymond Moody, MD, PhD

“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.” – Raymond Moody, MD, PhD

The study you quoted does not provide any evidence that NDEs are caused by the supernatural.

There certainly are doctors and scientists who are religious. No doubt. Just as there are those who are not. But the fact that some doctors are religious, again, is not evidence that there are any valid supernatural phenomena.

There certainly are doctors and scientists who are religious. No doubt. Just as there are those who are not. But the fact that some doctors are religious, again, is not evidence that there are any valid supernatural phenomena.
You always seem to want to make this a black and white, religious issue.

Religion and spirituality are not one and the same. Of course there is overlap given the nature of the subject matter, but one does not have to be religious necessarily to be spiritual; nor does one have to be spiritual necessarily to be religious.

This is a spirituality issue, not a religious issue. (If it was, I wouldn't be posting it given the guidlines here.)

An interview with Elisabeth Kubler Ross: http://www.healthy.net/scr/interview.aspx?Id=205

This will be my last post "defending" it. :offtopic: Back to the subject matter...

Who else has stories? :goodvibes

My maternal grandparents were from Ireland, and they were very important in my life. Grandpa died days after I graduated from college, and Grandma passed from Alzheimer's when I was in my late 20s. Every once in a while -- maybe twice a year -- I'll have a dream where one of them will just appear-- not really doing anything in the dream. And the next day, one of my brothers or my parents will refer to them (we don't talk about them often, they've been gone for nearly 30 years), post something on our family Facebook page about them, or, at least twice, I'll receive something in the mail the next day about taking a tour of Ireland.

Not necessarily a cosmic communication (and some will say it's just a coincidence) -- a couple of weeks ago, DS20 told me that he'd been listening to Paul Rodgers, and loved his music, and wanted to go see him if he ever came to town. Two or three days later, I decided to check out the days' Groupons -- which I RARELY do -- and there was a coupon to go see Paul Rodgers in concert. Of course, DS bought the Groupon and went!

And two things from high school -- one night, I woke up out of a dead sleep, sure that a friend was calling my name. Since it was the middle of the night, I didn't do anything about it. The next day at school she told me that her dad, who was an alcoholic, had a screaming match with her mom, and my friend was sitting in her room crying in the middle of the night, wishing I was there to sit and talk with her.

And the night my boyfriend broke up with me, I was at home in tears. I heard him outside my house, yelling for me. I ran downstairs, opened the door -- and he wasn't there. He told me a day later that he was at a friend's house, sitting in a rocking chair, saying my name over and over.

There's something there that we can't see. Too many reports of events --whether you say they're religious, spiritual, coincidence, whatever -- to totally discount them.

My dad passed away in January 2011. A few months later, I was in the library perusing their used books section. I found one I wanted, for $1. I went into my purse, counted out all the change I had, and it came to exactly $1. I started to go toward the cashier to check out, then realized I'd need seven cents for taxes, and I didn't have that (well, not in change anyway).

Background: My dad used to rib me constantly for how frugal (cheap, lol) I am, that I was the most austere person he knew, and that sometimes I just needed to loosen up.

As I turned to put the book back, I looked down and saw a dime. I could almost hear my dad say, "Sweetie, you're being ridiculous. Just buy the damn book." So I listened. :)

Since then, I've found probably 6 or 7 dimes in various places at various times. I call them Dimes from Dad, because they typically appear when I "need" them: when I was feeling sad that a family friend was helping us do something around the house that Dad would've typically done, the day before Father's Day, etc. Logically, I know that it could just be coincidence, but I choose to believe that there's a reason for them to appear. Especially since they're dimes, y'know? Not as likely to be found as pennies...

Yes, really. And if she did it was done after I posted it. We have separate forums for a reason.

I'm sorry but I disagree, I read this post the day it was posted and your response was not there but her "eta" was. I think you just missed it and posted your response in irritation. Yes, we have separate forums for a reason but the OP had already acknowledged her posting in the wrong forum, there's still no need to be snarky about it, even if she hadn't posted her "eta".

OP I believe, I've had many experiences with the supernatural, from living in a house with ghosts as a child to seeing things on a regular basis.

Yes, really. And if she did it was done after I posted it. We have separate forums for a reason.

You must have missed it. I was the first person to respond to her post and it was definitely there when I responded. In fact, I tried to find a similar post on the CB so I could respond there and share my experience, but couldn't find it and came back to the BB to respond.

Perhaps someone needs to read a little more closely before replying. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter