Do we rent a scooter?

Bamapixie

Earning My Ears
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but here goes. My husband will be 6 weeks post-op from a knee replacement when we go to Disney on Dec. 8. He says he can use a cane and be fine, but I think we need to rent him a scooter. Has anyone done this before? We're staying at Wilderness Lodge club level so it would be easy to go get it if he needs it. I'm at a loss trying to deal with a hardheaded man. We still have to ask the dr. I would appreciate and info anyone can give me. Thanks.

I normally favor letting a hard-headed person decide their own limits. But his choices will spillover onto the fun you get to have as well so ... I suppose you have some moral high ground available if you choose the meddle a bit... and I recommend you meddle just a little bit. Also, I generally favor letting healing people push themselves as far as their doctor says is safe.

This is how I would handle it. For the next 6 or 7 days pester him about renting an ecv. Then make him a deal, you'll drop the issue completely if he agrees to take a 3 mile walk with you a week or so before the trip. And if he can manage a 3 mile walk without complaint or needing to ice it up that night then you don't need a scooter. Otherwise you rent one and use it.

That's a fair deal.

You might also suggest that if he slows you down you'll cut him loose like a drowsy climber on mount Everest.

I convinced my MIL to use a scooter because of issues she was having with her feet. She was so glad I made her do it. Just driving through th queue area for the Safari was enough for her to finally realise just how much walking was ahead of her. It's also much cheaper to rent of-site

Stress that you don't want him to re-damage the repaired knee. And it's not just the walking it's standing, waiting, queuing etc. That's way too much for a new knee replacement to take. He can always park it somewhere and walk for a bit then go back to it.

Gently remind him that the *average* Guest at WDW walks between 5 & 10 miles PER DAY.

Then gently remind him that using an ECV while he is at WDW is no different from using a TOOL to accomplish a task in his everyday life. For example: If he has to do higher math, does he take off his socks and shoes, and count on his fingers and toes? Nope. He uses a calculator. It's a tool, to do math. If he can't see well, does he refuse to wear glasses, and run the risk of not being able to see? Nope, he uses the glasses - and they are tool to enhance his vision.

When he needed a knee replacement, did he refuse to get it? Nope. That new joint in his leg is a TOOL that will ultimately allow him to walk and be as "normal"* as possible once he is fully healed.

*"normal" is a setting on the washing machine, nothing more.

Tell him to use the ECV - don't worry about what anyone else thinks - you will never see those people again anyway. And if, by some rare chance, you do? Who cares? He has a valid reason to use an ECV. He's not renting one because he's lazy, or because he can't be bothered to walk around. He is using it as a tool, so that both of you can have the best possible time on your vacation at WDW.

Personally, I would rent an ECV. That's a LOT of walking and you don't want to risk messing up what was just fixed by doing too much too soon. I was told I had until 2 days prior to cancel with a full refund with Buena Vista - maybe reserve it and see how well he progresses in recovery?

And like a previous poster said - it's a mobility tool to help him have the best time (and recovery!) possible.

My DH has bad knees. Three trips ago, I started saying Let's get a wheelchair. No, no , no. The trip comes. Just walking just to get to the plane (Phia airport), he turns and says "we'll get a wheelchair). Last two trips we rented a disney wheelchair. This trip we are rented off site, so he'll have it all the time. But why the wheelchair instead of a EVC? DH still wants to walk some. Last trip, he got said his knees got stiff sitting all day. Yes, I know he can use a EVC and just park it somewhere, but one step at a time (no pun intended) Plus he likes walking while holding onto something. Whenever we are out , he pushs the stroller or shopping cart. Sometimes he has some balance issues.

The PP suggestion of walking several miles before trip is a great idea.

I'm pro scooter rental. Why take a chance and hurt the knee? Why feel pain with all the walking you do at Disney and that doesn't count getting in and out of rides and doing stairs at times? Standing in ride queues is not fun, either. You can't predict how well he will be doing post-OP. It may take longer than you want it to be.

Also, you will be able to go faster through the park, then walking with a cane. You can walk and park the scooter, here and there, for some exercise. You can rent an accessory for the scooter as an extra that is a cane holder.

When I read your post I actually started to laugh a little... 6 weeks post-op with a knee replacement? And he thinks he is going to walk it with a cane??? Not possible. Period.

I've had two knee replacements. He will still be doing intensive physical therapy and may still be taking pain medication. Frankly, I'm assuming you are committed to this trip... I would never have scheduled a trip 6 weeks out, scooter or not.

Talk to his surgeon... if he doesn't know Disney, tell him how much walking is involved then let him deal with DH if he is being uncooperative. Once he has actually had the surgery, I think you will find that his attitude toward the scooter has changed. Maybe you know some folks who have had knee replacement that he could talk with to give him a more realistic idea of the rehabilitation and recovery involved.

My knees were replaced 4 years ago... best thing I ever did... I can now walk the parks, something I thought I would never do again. But the recovery is long and very painful. Using a cane at 6 weeks out to walk the parks is totally unrealistic and I think your surgeon will tell you, dangerous.

Last edited:
Be prepared! If you wait and have to rent a scooter after a couple days, you may think of just getting the "in-park" ECVs. That's what I did, thought beforehand I could walk, broke down and rented a scooter the third day when I was in so much pain I was miserable. Afterwards I figured out that my in-park scooter rental was $150 for 3 days, whereas if I'd planned beforehand, and gotten a scooter off-site, I could have had one for the entire week for that price, and had it at the resort too. Encourage him not to be so stubborn (as I was).

I LOVE being able to use an ECV. I used one over a decade ago for a temporary problem, and missed having it in later years.

Now I have to have one for a permanent condition. There are so many extra benefits that make it a great solution. I am SO HAPPY that I now have a real reason to use one. I refused to use one unless I really had to.

I think people who need an ECV but refuse to accept one are just nuts.

Thanks everyone for your replys. I know some think we should just reschedule the trip but DH has 3 weeks vacation scheduled that he can't change, and a big shut down where he works, so this time is the only time he can do it this year. He's already met his deductible with insurance and that's another thing. He gives me this trip every year for our anniversary, 43 years this year. Last year my mom had a massive heart attack and passed away while we were there on our 3rd day. Disney was great when it happened and let us use the bounce back that was in the room, so we got a deal on Wilderness Lodge Club level and he doesn't want to lose that either. I talked him into renting an EVC today so thank everyone for your kind answers.

I just returned from a 5-day vacation with scooter rental. I am as hard headed and stubborn as they come. But I was also determined no matter what to have a great vacation! and having a great vacation for my family meant renting a scooter. I injured my lower leg 2 ½ weeks prior to the trip. The deal my family made with me is rent the scooter and if it sits in the hotel room the entire trip that's ok but please use it if you need it. Honestly my (secret) plan was for it to sit in the hotel room because I was sure I did not need it. After just walking/limping through the airport I knew I needed the scooter. Some things to point out to hubby:
1. Be thankful the vacation is at Disney World. Mobility issues are easily solved there.
2. No one is actually looking at you and judging you and if they are that's on them not you. For the most part you are pretty much invisible.
3. Bus drivers are your friend. I had one driver point out that the folks giving us stink eye where really just waiting on her to do her job which was to safely load me and my scooter onto the bus! (This is the only time you are not invisible)
4. You can park the scooter, walk the ride lines, walk into restaurants and shops. You are not required to use it 24/7. I certainly did not as I need to stretch my leg. There is plenty of scooter parking all over the park! But some ride lines have inclines that I found difficult to navigate without the scooter - RR, SM and BTMR come to mind.
5. The walk from hotel to bus stop and from bus stop to park is way longer than you think. Just using the scooter to get from point A to Point B could be a vacation saver.
6. It's kinda fun to drive a scooter! :-)

Then just tell him you are going to go ahead and rent the scooter (call it "the back up plan") and you can cancel it prior to the vacation if he and his Doc feels that strongly that he will not need it. But that you would feel better knowing this vacation planning detail is sorted out sooner than later. And stress that the reservations can be cancelled (within a certain time frame).

I hope it all works out.

Last edited:
... Bus drivers are your friend. I had one driver point out that the folks giving us stink eye where really just waiting on her to do her job which was to safely load me and my scooter onto the bus! (This is the only time you are not invisible)

The reason people "stare" at you when you are getting on (or off, if there is a crowd waiting to board the bus) is not because *you* ("you" including any and all of us in this discussion) are on a scooter...

It's the damn bus. It wheezes when it "kneels". It beeps and fusses and carries on, and flips out a big honkin' ramp, and trust me when I tell you - before I had to ever use an ECV, it was the *procedure* I was watching - not the person on the scooter. They were secondary to all of the "theatre" that the bus performs just to get the person with the mobility device on board!

So remember - they aren't staring at you. They are looking at the bus!

The reason people "stare" at you when you are getting on (or off, if there is a crowd waiting to board the bus) is not because *you* ("you" including any and all of us in this discussion) are on a scooter...

It's the damn bus. It wheezes when it "kneels". It beeps and fusses and carries on, and flips out a big honkin' ramp, and trust me when I tell you - before I had to ever use an ECV, it was the *procedure* I was watching - not the person on the scooter. They were secondary to all of the "theatre" that the bus performs just to get the person with the mobility device on board!

So remember - they aren't staring at you. They are looking at the bus!

I totally agree with you no one is rudely staring at someone in a scooter.

But I did experience folks do giving stink eye, looking at watch, and grumbling because of the extra wait to get on the bus. This affected my teenage daughter more than it did me and the bus driver was super nice to point out to both of us that the folks waiting to get on the bus where really waiting for her to safely load the scooter. This line of thinking made my daughter feel less self conscious about getting on the bus with me and the scooter.

Chances are, the surgeon is going to tell him that he *must* use the ECV. He doesn't want to mess around with taking proper care of his new knee. (My mom had a total knee replacement earlier this year. Among other things, I attended the pre-surgery education class with her as well as accompanied her to multiple appointments.) It is very important that those recuperating from surgery follow the exact instructions because both under- and overworking a new knee can cause issues.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but here goes. My husband will be 6 weeks post-op from a knee replacement when we go to Disney on Dec. 8. He says he can use a cane and be fine, but I think we need to rent him a scooter. Has anyone done this before? We're staying at Wilderness Lodge club level so it would be easy to go get it if he needs it. I'm at a loss trying to deal with a hardheaded man. We still have to ask the dr. I would appreciate and info anyone can give me. Thanks.

I would take it very carefully and listen to his Dr. not to scare you too much but I knew someone that had a knee replacement he did not listen to his dr and had 2 or 3 falls after his surgery ( they were not that bad one was he was walking across some grass to cut the corner and fell) he knee was so bad after his falls the dr had to remove his knees and just put his bones together ) if forgot what the bone above and below your knees are called), he can no longer bend his leg he has to use a wheel chair to get a round ( he can walk a few steps) his wheel chair is long because he can not bend his knee that he can not ride in normil busses, it has really taken over his life. so listion to your dr and be careful

You can call any of the scooter company's and get a scooter the next day or sooner. So day two at the park, and you then want a scooter you can get one. Rebting from an outside company will cost you around $37, $40 a day and you have use of scooter 24/7. You can used it around resort. To go yo Disney springs.
Some of the resorts like POR is really big and there a lot of walking just get around the resort .

bluntly, unless he was an olympic level athlete prior, he is DELUSIONAL if he thinks 6 weeks post op for a knee is remotely possible with just cane. I am one week post op for a hip. soonest *I* can expect to ditch the walker for every day crap is 8 weeks. all my PT therapists, Nurses and surgeons say the same thing: hips are easy and recover fast. Knees not so much.

the 'easy' knee of my grandmother was easily 6 months. the one that gave her fits after replacement. more like 12.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter