Do we need magic bands?

kayyy

Earning My Ears
We haven't been to Disney since 2013, and will be taking our 2yo and 6yo for their first visit in March this year. I was wondering if we needed to get magic bands? Trying to save some money and not get them if it wasn't necessary. Both my husband and I have Apple watches -- could we set those up, or do we use our phones? And I was wondering if I still needed a magic band for our 6yo. Disney has gotten so much more complicated since my last visit. Do we have to tap in at rides, especially if we're planning on getting Genie+ or use Rider Swap?

No - but they do make things easier especially onsite.

Yes - you will have to tap in at rides using G+ and ILL, most times twice and the MB allows you to room charge. Alternately you can use your apple watch but my dd found hers glitchy, so she ended up just using an old MB. The other option (especially for the 6yo) is to get hard tickets and use an ID Holder and lanyard to keep them handy.

• I was wondering if we needed to get magic bands? - No.
  • Both my husband and I have Apple watches -- could we set those up, or do we use our phones? Yes to both. BUT have a backup in case you have a MDE glitch, battery dies, etc.
  • And I was wondering if I still needed a magic band for our 6yo. -- If you want to. Makes it more fun for some of the kids but they can also get a Key to the World card.
  • Do we have to tap in at rides, especially if we're planning on getting Genie+ or use Rider Swap? -- Yes.

Will our MB's from 2018 still work? If not, would we have to replace the whole thing or just part? Trying to figure out the best way to manage everything

Will our MB's from 2018 still work? If not, would we have to replace the whole thing or just part? Trying to figure out the best way to manage everything
Officially, Disney says the batteries on Magic Bands last 2 years. I recently used one from 2016 without any difficulties.

MagicBands will work for "tap" points pretty much indefinitely. So yes you can use your older bands for most things like park entry, G+ or I$LL, charging to your room, opening your door, etc.

What may not work is longer-range for things like some ride photos. However, as PP mentions, reports are showing even 3-4 yr old MBs still working for the longer-range items.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter