• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do they still show movies on the ships the same night they premier on land?

WDWDeb

Platinum Castaway Club
We were on the Dream when Alice in Wonderland premiered, and they showed it in the Walt Disney theater very late on the Thursday evening (think it was midnight like they do on land) since it was premiering that Friday. Do they still show Disney movies on the ships that are premiering on that day? We will be on the Dream 12/16-20 of this year. With 'Rise of Skywalker' premiering on the 20th, I am wondering if we will have a chance to see it premier on the Dream the last night of our cruise on the 19th?!?

We were on the Dream when Alice in Wonderland premiered, and they showed it in the Walt Disney theater very late on the Thursday evening (think it was midnight like they do on land) since it was premiering that Friday. Do they still show Disney movies on the ships that are premiering on that day? We will be on the Dream 12/16-20 of this year. With 'Rise of Skywalker' premiering on the 20th, I am wondering if we will have a chance to see it premier on the Dream the last night of our cruise on the 19th?!?
No. It would premiere on the last night. Midnight before you have to get off the ship at 7:30-8:00 the next morning.

Well, that would be the midnight that changes the 19th to the 20th.

Occasionally, some premiers have been run at 9:00 or 10:00 pm the night before. But you wouldn't know if they're going to do that until the day of.

Dumbo premiered on our cruise. It premiered at midnight and played all day Friday. We disembarked on Saturday.

Dear lord, we get off the Fantasy on the 21st. I can see my daughter is going to be staying up VERY late her last night. (She’s 19, an adult, and she’s welcome to it. Lol)

Yes and no. Captain Marvel was to premiere Thursday at 11pm on our Panama Canal cruise. For reasons that were gossiped about it was delayed until Friday and shown as the Friday show at the regular show times in the big theater. Most teens and young adults were bummed. I was fine as I don't usually stay up until 11pm anyway.

We were on cruise on the Dream when Force Awakens premiered. Its official launch on land was the Friday, when we disembarked, but some land theatres were allowed to start showing it as early as ~7 pm Thursday evening.

On the cruise they started showing it in the evening on Thursday. They shifted the dinner dining times a bit that day to allow for it. Early dining had an assigned movie time and late dining had an assigned movie time - they issued tickets to everyone, both time and theatre. They also showed it again after midnight and then once again in the early hours [i.e. 4ish] of the morning that would get you done in time to get off the ship -- those two times anyone could go to.

I assume for Rise of Skywalker they will do something similar. You may be able to find out by calling DCL closer to the cruise, but they may not tell you until you are actually on the ship.

SW

On the May 18th Fantasy Aladdin movie premEARed and it was shown on Thursday night before land release at 10:45 pm It was shown in the Walt Disney Theatre regular and in 3D in the Buena Vista Theatre both at 10:45 pm. There was a line forming for seats outside of WDT at about 10:00 pm

MJ

I was also on the May 17th cruise on the fantasy. They did show Aladdin Thursday at 10:30. I did find it kind of annoying that they mention you can only see it this early on the cruise. This is simply not true. I live in the Midwest and not in a huge City and they show new movies on Thursday as early as 4 p.m. in some cases. I understand they want to hype up the experience, but this was just plain wrong information.

Last edited:
We were on the Wonder when Dumbo premiered and they showed it at 11pm. We disembarked the next morning.

We were on the Wonder last week for the premiere of Toy Story 4. They did not have any Thursday showings -- first one was regular nightly showtime in the Walt Disney Theatre (and simultaneously in the Buena Vista Theatre).

We were on the Wonder in Alaska last month and they had the "PremEar" of Aladdin on Thursday, May 23rd @ 10:15PM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter