Do not think it could have gone any worse

dkbschultz

Earning My Ears
When we arrived at the All Star Music we were given a handicap accessible room which w requested well in advance in Bldg 10 room 02??. As we were walking trying to find it, we stopped someone to ask where it was only to be told we were at the wrong resort. We went back to the desk and talked to the same girl who then said we were at the wrong resort. Not sure why she would not have noticed that from the get go but she didn’t. At that time she went back and when she came out she told us that 7 days prior we were moved to the All Star Sports resort with no prior knowledge. We did not want that resort so she went back to see what could be done. After she came out some time later she told us we were in building I believe 6 on now the 3rd floor. FI have no idea why a handicap room would be on the 3rd floor but it was. So as we then found out this building was the farthest one from the front which makes it very hard to me being an amputee. We then had to call back and speak with her again to say that all of the accessible rooms were taken but we could pay $20 extra per night for a preferred room. At that time I said NO WAY, not our fault and asked for a manager.
When speaking with the manager she finally agreed to give us a room in building 10 which was accessible but again on the 3rd floor. As we arrived at the room, we were shocked to see that my electric wheelchair barley fit in the room and the shower was the only thing accessible. But to make matters worse the shower had not lip on the floor which made the floor all wet and very dangerous for a one legged person with hoping around and getting out on a wet floor. We were again back to now another manager who then moved us to a larger family suite, handicap accessible on the first floor. We did do a early check in on line weeks before arrival but the check in process took us many hours of our time wasted.
To finish off with our room/hotel issues on 9/12/14 I was called from home to say that my mother had passed away suddenly. We rushed back to the hotel and spoke with Sangerald Ortiz (GS MGR) and I explained to him our need to leave and our reason. He did tell me he was going to put 2 5 day tickets in an account for me as well as refund me $100.00 to my CC for the dining as well as refund the remaining nights on my CC. As of this letter I have no knowledge or conformation that this was done or not.
On 9/10/14 we were at Epcot leaving for the evening around 8pm at was trying to get on the bus. The bus driver Candy told me that she would not ask the people that were sitting in the fold up wheelchair seats to move to another seat. Even after telling her that the bus was not even ¼ full she still refused. The signs clearly state that people will be asked to move to accommodate disabled people. She finally asked the people to move which they did. I got on the bus and thanked the people for moving and they were very nice. I did find out that they signs will be removed due to a Florida Law BUT seeing they were still up means they should be acted upon.
On 9/12/14 as I stated above I received the call about the death of my mother. We happened to be at Animal Kingdom at the time of the call and rushed out to get back to the hotel to make return home plans. We arrived at the bus stop around 4 and bus #5118 ( I was told that was the number) driven by John. Again the bus was not close to being full but people we sitting in the fold us wheelchair area. I asked John to step of the bus so that I could speak with him in private. I explained to John my situation and he refused to assist me in asking people to move. I begged him based on my situation and needing to get back quickly and he refused again, got on the bus shut the doors and left. There were many stunned people standing in the same and different lines that were shocked at the actions of John. I know buses run all of the time but time was of essence in me trying to return home that night and at the end of the day I missed the last flight out. I did file a claim with Ray at the Animal Kingdom transportation and not sure where that stands at this time either.
As for the Disney parks, I was very unhappy with the new handicap policy in regards to attractions. You went from extreme to another. I feel now that people in wheelchairs are the ones being discriminated against. Even though we had fast passes we were still forced to wait as long and in some cases longer than people in the stand by line. The policy of only allow a certain number of wheelchairs in an area in so wrong . I am not asking for much just to be treated on a level playing field and I as well as the numerous other handicap people are not. Yes people abuse it as I seen firsthand BUT those people should not have a direct impact on those of us with clearly the need. I said I would have loved to be part of that discussion with Disney as to how to make it work.
On a non Disney note to show what good customer service is, Jet Blue could not have been more gracious and helpful in getting us back home. The arranged everything and waived the change fee as well as the new ticket cost.
As this letter explains my trip to the most wonderful place on earth was nothing short of a disaster from the very start. I wanted this letter e-mailed to the GM of All Star Resort and well as the higher up’s in the company but was told by quest relations that this is the best and only way to file complaints.
I hope after reading this letter you will agree that Disney dropped the ball from the very start. A huge apology would be what I would do if I had control of issues at a business that relies on world of mouth for advertising as well billing itself with such a happy place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter