• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do Not Disturb Gone! (BLT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting and this made me think of a question I never thought of before. How would Disney handle a scenario if a guest has an infectious disease and is caught by a CM carrying out their duties?

Yeah, I don't know, in a case like this, is it on the guests to mention that someone in their party was just very ill and that the room should receive a more thorough cleaning than is typical upon departure? And how does that work in the case of the hotels/guests where frequent housekeeping is not common?

So if you turned down housekeeping, someone else will want access to your room at some point. You can arrange for the time they're going to come by calling the front desk and letting them know.

Thanks for the detailed post. I started to think that upon check-in IF it would make sense to fill-out a form (or akin) to a WOO (Windows Of Opportunity) for the CM's to do their required inspection(s)?

Yeah, I don't know, in a case like this, is it on the guests to mention that someone in their party was just very ill and that the room should receive a more thorough cleaning than is typical upon departure? And how does that work in the case of the hotels/guests where frequent housekeeping is not common?

Solid questions.

WDW just telephoned me and I spoke with a really attentive and responsive CM for over 10 minutes.

Here's the gist of what she said:
(1) They are now checking guest rooms once a day. So if you turned down housekeeping, someone else will want access to your room at some point. You can arrange for the time they're going to come by calling the front desk and letting them know.
(2) If housekeeping hasn't serviced your room yet (like while you're out at a park) and you come back and want to take a nap and not be disturbed, you can call the front desk and let them know not to disturb you and they'll honor your request. However, at some point you will have to give access to someone to come into the room.
(3) If you got housekeeping and they cleaned your room that day, no one else will come to your room for any additional inspection, etc.

Since we always have housekeeping, this seems like it's not an issue for us, however, I see how it is if you've turned down housekeeping or are staying at a villa on points.

The CM actually said that one of the reasons this policy went into effect is that with the option to turn down housekeeping at certain resorts, the housekeeping staff would show up in the room after a couple of days of no service and the room would be trashed or there would be problems, like a leaky sink, for example, that hadn't been addressed for those couple of days.

I hope this is helpful to others on this thread. I can only report what the CM told me. I haven't been there since the new policy went into effect, but I hope this information is correct. I will report back after our trip.
Thanks for reporting what the phone call entailed. However, this isn't what is happening. People have called to schedule times and they still show up before or after that time. It doesn't seem like they are trying very hard. Something is getting lost between the manager/higher ups and the people actually doing these checks.

Furthermore, if someone comes to the door and is told sorry we're getting dressed/just waking etc. they should immediately say ok we'll come back in an hour or whatever NOT insist on entering at that moment.

WDW just telephoned me and I spoke with a really attentive and responsive CM for over 10 minutes.

The CM actually said that one of the reasons this policy went into effect is that with the option to turn down housekeeping at certain resorts, the housekeeping staff would show up in the room after a couple of days of no service and the room would be trashed or there would be problems, like a leaky sink, for example, that hadn't been addressed for those couple of days.

Now this could actually be considered a legitimate reason for the daily checks as opposed to the idiotic idea that a housekeeper spending 5 seconds walking through a room "just looking" would ever be able to spot something nefarious unless it was purposefully out on display.

They should really frame it: 'Dear guest, Disney infrastructure is a such a state that it is likely during your short stay something will break or spring a leak and you won't be considerate enough to let us know. Conversely, though none of your previous stays would indicate you are a pig, we don't trust you not to trash our room without checking on you daily. Thus we will be checking due to our lack of preventative maintenance and also trying to keep your slovenly ways in check with new daily intrusions. You will comply, resistance is futile we can knock for hours.'

Now this could actually be considered a legitimate reason for the daily checks as opposed to the idiotic idea that a housekeeper spending 5 seconds walking through a room "just looking" would ever be able to spot something nefarious unless it was purposefully out on display.

They should really frame it: 'Dear guest, Disney infrastructure is a such a state that it is likely during your short stay something will break or spring a leak and you won't be considerate enough to let us know. Conversely, though none of your previous stays would indicate you are a pig, we don't trust you not to trash our room without checking on you daily. Thus we will be checking due to our lack of preventative maintenance and also trying to keep your slovenly ways in check with new daily intrusions. You will comply, resistance is futile we can knock for hours.'

I'm the poster who spoke with the CM, and I'd like to say that my conversation with this person was nothing at all like what it seems to be turning into here. She was pleasant, informative, and responsive. I called to find out what was happening. That was my emphasis. The justifications for it are actually not important to me. What was important to me was to find out what the policy and its implementation are. I haven't been to WDW since this policy was put into effect. I'm just reporting on the phone call I received, which allayed my concerns, since I always have housekeeping at WDW.

I'm the poster who spoke with the CM, and I'd like to say that my conversation with this person was nothing at all like what it seems to be turning into here. She was pleasant, informative, and responsive. I called to find out what was happening. That was my emphasis. The justifications for it are actually not important to me. What was important to me was to find out what the policy and its implementation are. I haven't been to WDW since this policy was put into effect. I'm just reporting on the phone call I received, which allayed my concerns, since I always have housekeeping at WDW.
If you always have housekeeping at WDW this should be a non issue for you.

I understand you reported *your* phone conversation, I also get people haven't the past 48 pages. You spoke with a CM over the phone. There are several of us now who have posted who have also spoken with and/or stayed on property this month. So your post is simply one more piece of information in the puzzle, it isn't turning into something else on its own.

I am one of those people who have stayed on property this month and I spoke with a duty manager while there to get clarification as well. There was no mention of leaky sink checks or the trashing of rooms, it was referred to only as a "security check". Granted the policy was only in effect for a few days at that point. No one really seemed 100%, other than if you have a pluto door hanger no one is coming in the room while it is up. I'm not typing it all over again, feel free to go back and read the other first hand reports, including my own.

(1) They are now checking guest rooms once a day. So if you turned down housekeeping, someone else will want access to your room at some point. You can arrange for the time they're going to come by calling the front desk and letting them know.
(2) If housekeeping hasn't serviced your room yet (like while you're out at a park) and you come back and want to take a nap and not be disturbed, you can call the front desk and let them know not to disturb you and they'll honor your request. However, at some point you will have to give access to someone to come into the room.
(3) If you got housekeeping and they cleaned your room that day, no one else will come to your room for any additional inspection, etc.

Since we always have housekeeping, this seems like it's not an issue for us, however, I see how it is if you've turned down housekeeping or are staying at a villa on points.

I hope this is helpful to others on this thread. I can only report what the CM told me. I haven't been there since the new policy went into effect, but I hope this information is correct. I will report back after our trip.

This is interesting because I talked to someone in management for over 30 min about my concerns with the new security checks, and got a completely different answer. This is what I would call left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. The information I got was even if you got housekeeping that day you will still get a security check. However, you can schedule the security check at the front desk when checking in.

This is interesting because I talked to someone in management for over 30 min about my concerns with the new security checks, and got a completely different answer. This is what I would call left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. The information I got was even if you got housekeeping that day you will still get a security check. However, you can schedule the security check at the front desk when checking in.

(2) If housekeeping hasn't serviced your room yet (like while you're out at a park) and you come back and want to take a nap and not be disturbed, you can call the front desk and let them know not to disturb you and they'll honor your request.
So you check in for a three night stay and ask for a late afternoon "security check" at the front desk.
Get your housekeeping cleaned in the morning. If they don't get it done (ha!) call and say "I'm napping now...yawnnnnnnn."
Go down to your car or open your luggage and set up your arsenal.
And start blasting away.
Brilliant!
So the good news appears to be they are gonna let you nap. (theoretically)
The bad news is that this does NOTHING to enhance security.

"He came in to inspect my room today and he looked around the room, under the table, between the bed and wall and in the "hide away" areas. Was kind of interesting."-DVC owner

Last edited:

This has to do with tickets, but last year I upgraded tickets to AP at our resort. Didn't realize they were backdated 6 months (date of purchase). Went back the next day, nope they did it right, called DVC member services...nope, they did it wrong, went to GS at MK....nope, they did it right, Asked for supervisor, he fixed it. Spoke to MS about all the extra steps I had to do and they agreed,the back dating was wrong. How can I talk to 6 people, half said my tickets were correct, half said they were wrong. Two different locations, two different phone calls.

I am hoping by the time we get there in May, there WILL be some type of Napping sign understanding. I have no issues of coming in, I'm happy to have them pick up the trash. But not during the afternoon.

So you check in for a three night stay and ask for a late afternoon "security check" at the front desk.
Get your housekeeping cleaned in the morning. If they don't get it done (ha!) call and say "I'm napping now...yawnnnnnnn."
Go down to your car or open your luggage and set up your arsenal.
And start blasting away.
Brilliant!
So the good news appears to be they are gonna let you nap. (theoretically)
The bad news is that this does NOTHING to enhance security.

"He came in to inspect my room today and he looked around the room, under the table, between the bed and wall and in the "hide away" areas. Was kind of interesting."-DVC owner

I laughed when she told me we could schedule the security check, umm ok that makes sense ... not. She told me the security check is for my safety and others and I informed her that it wasn't about safety at all. The security check is about covering Disney's butt and it's all show.

In the conversation, I brought up that they could be sued for an unwelcome or uninvited conduct of a sexual nature if they walked in on someone taking a shower, having sex or someone being half dressed.

I laughed when she told me we could schedule the security check, umm ok that makes sense ... not. She told me the security check is for my safety and others and I informed her that it wasn't about safety at all. The security check is about covering Disney's butt and it's all show.

In the conversation, I brought up that they could be sued for an unwelcome or uninvited conduct of a sexual nature if they walked in on someone taking a shower, having sex or someone being half dressed.
They have the absolute right to enter the room anytime for any reason. As long as its in the contract which it is.
You would not be able to sue if they saw you naked etc.
The laws governing the state of Florida would have to be broken...ie...inappropriate touching, voyeurism, assault etc.
In which case you should call the local POLICE immediately and file a report.
You might then have a good law suit if you proved in court such an even took place.
A cast member walking in on you naked etc...sorry oops. Too bad for you. Or too bad for them if they saw me!

I understand you reported *your* phone conversation, I also get people haven't the past 48 pages. You spoke with a CM over the phone. There are several of us now who have posted who have also spoken with and/or stayed on property this month. So your post is simply one more piece of information in the puzzle, it isn't turning into something else on its own.

I am one of those people who have stayed on property this month and I spoke with a duty manager while there to get clarification as well. There was no mention of leaky sink checks or the trashing of rooms, it was referred to only as a "security check". Granted the policy was only in effect for a few days at that point. No one really seemed 100%, other than if you have a pluto door hanger no one is coming in the room while it is up. I'm not typing it all over again, feel free to go back and read the other first hand reports, including my own.

Exactly. CMs are known to give out incorrect information or their personal opinions, not the policy. This is why you have to call multiple times.

If the majority of the CMs are saying it’s a security, not a slovenly, check then I’m going with the majority. This is also what I was told when I contacted Signature Services. The woman’s tone became very terse when I mentioned the security check. She told me these were security checks because of Vegas and to talk to the club level front desk when I check in if I have further concerns.

I don’t buy for one second that it has anything to do with cleanliness especially since housekeeping doesn’t always seem to care about that either. If Disney was worried about clean rooms they would have housekeeping supervisors follow their employees from room to room with white gloves.

We’ll be there next week and I’ll definitely report back to this thread. Hopefully it will be a decent experience.

Unfortunately, one can call numerous times and receive a different response from each CM. Its not just this issue, but pretty much anything and everything. No consistency..very frustrating!!

(bolding is mine) Except that... you can't actually call the front desk - that button/number goes to an offsite call center. And messages left with that call center rarely make it to the actual front desk staff. I believe WDW believes this can happen, but I have serious doubts that it will, lol!

They have the absolute right to enter the room anytime for any reason. As long as its in the contract which it is.
You would not be able to sue if they saw you naked etc.
The laws governing the state of Florida would have to be broken...ie...inappropriate touching, voyeurism, assault etc.
In which case you should call the local POLICE immediately and file a report.
You might then have a good law suit if you proved in court such an even took place.
A cast member walking in on you naked etc...sorry oops. Too bad for you. Or too bad for them if they saw me!
In all honesty, if a CM breaks open my door (because I will have all locks engaged), my assumption is burglary/assault and I'm dialing 911 while grabbing an item for self-defense. And I have to think WDW knows this as a business operating in a "Stand Your Ground" state, so while they can enter at any time a guest is inside, I really do not think they will unless invited in by the occupant.

(bolding is mine) Except that... you can't actually call the front desk - that button/number goes to an offsite call center. And messages left with that call center rarely make it to the actual front desk staff. I believe WDW believes this can happen, but I have serious doubts that it will, lol!

In all honesty, if a CM breaks open my door (because I will have all locks engaged), my assumption is burglary/assault and I'm dialing 911 while grabbing an item for self-defense. And I have to think WDW knows this as a business operating in a "Stand Your Ground" state, so while they can enter at any time a guest is inside, I really do not think they will unless invited in by the occupant.

As you know ahead of time that a CM will be entering your room every day it would make the Stand your Ground a bit wishy washy. You KNOW someone will be entering your room that has no ill intent. Freaking out, dialing 911 and grabbing a weapon will probably be looked on as an over-reaction. Are there not peep holes in the doors as well? Why would you not look and engage with the person wanting in your room before freaking out? Though I think if it gets to the point that a CM is breaking down your door because you refuse to open it they will be able to say they either thought you were ill, or were trying to hide something. Getting the police involved is probably a good way to get banned from property.

As you know ahead of time that a CM will be entering your room every day it would make the Stand your Ground a bit wishy washy. You KNOW someone will be entering your room that has no ill intent. Freaking out, dialing 911 and grabbing a weapon will probably be looked on as an over-reaction. Are there not peep holes in the doors as well? Why would you not look and engage with the person wanting in your room before freaking out? Though I think if it gets to the point that a CM is breaking down your door because you refuse to open it they will be able to say they either thought you were ill, or were trying to hide something. Getting the police involved is probably a good way to get banned from property.
While I applaud your tenacity in guarding your privacy and securing the locks etc....maxiesmom is right...after a day or so 'someone' at Disney is gonna want to enter your room...you will only be causing a bad situation towards yourself..they will clearly identify themselves as Disney management.....you signed a contract, you are obligated to honor it....calling the police will only make things worse for you in this case...and you may very well be asked to leave their property and be what they call 'tresspassed'...if you violate that order you can be arrested. So just chill, lock your door, and lets hope clear heads prevail. They are not going to BUST into your room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter