Do Not Disturb Gone! (BLT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that's not what she said, and why I'm asking-- because that timeline doesn't make sense AS POSTED.
Actually, her timeline makes perfect sense. She was on her way to the airport. Her husband ran the race the day before and they waited in the room for him. Housekeeping came by and she declined because they would be checking out the next day (today). They then knocked again at 2:30 pm as they were about to leave for dinner.

We always, ALWAYS use the deadbold and latch whenever we are in the room. We NEVER leave any valuables out in the open in the room. This has been our practice in any hotel room, anywhere. Could someone still enter the guest room if a guest uses these measures, of course. Does hotel staff enter a guest room when you are NOT in there? Honestly, we always plan and act as if someone would, housekeeping or other.

That being said, if I was n the room alone, I would not open the door. If it was a security check, they darn well better be able to slide proper identification and authority under the door, whether I was alone or not. If anyone tried to bardge in, I hope I would immediately call 911.

So I just did a quick google search for youtube videos of how to open the Disney room style latches and they can be opened in much less than 30 seconds without requiring any fancy tools. I have not heard any stories yet on if Disney will attempt bypass the latch. But it isn't difficult.
For security, we’ve used a rubber door stop in our door. We also purchased one with an alarm on it. I guess we will be bringing them on our next trip.

What about the scenario if a minor child is in the room alone? It's not unreasonable to leave a child over 12 in the room while you go to the food court, front desk, etc. What are we to tell our kids to do while this man repeatedly bangs on the door??? It's hard to predict what a scared kid might do- and there is no reason for an adult(man or woman) to be alone with anyone in a hotel room, much less a child!
Can't be in the parks alone, unless you are over 14. Maybe, Disney will implement rules for hotel rooms...no unaccompanied 18 year olds allowed without an adult.

Last edited:

However, if Disney is going to send a strange person to my room that insists on entering when I give every indication of not wanting entry, they had better be able to effectively communicate with me.

Agreed.

Also, I could maybe understand the insistence on entering if the sign had been up for 24 hours, but it is acceptable after only an hour.

Totally agree.

Curious in this case: Did you have late checkout? The times I've asked (usually for running races), I can never get a checkout as late as 2:30 pm-- maybe 1 pm at the latest.
So that *might* explain why they came back by, because generally on a checkout day, the guest is well out of the room by 2:30.

But that's not what she said, and why I'm asking-- because that timeline doesn't make sense AS POSTED.

She didn’t say she told them “no because I’m checking out today”. She was using “checking out today” as she was typing it. The “no” was said the day before, which was the day she was talking about.

The day before checkout they wanted to come in. Because it was their last full day they said no and then theycame by later on.

Maybe, Disney will implement rules for hotel rooms...no unaccompanied 18 year olds allowed without an adult.

Would be odd. I can start college at 27 but can’t stay in a hotel room for a few hours?

And... https://www.dcf.state.fl.us/programs/childwelfare/caregivers/whentoleaveyourkidshomealone.shtml

There’s no age in the FL law to be at home alone.

Isn't it ironic that this new room security policy is making so many of us WDW hotel guests actually feel less safe?

Sad, really. Sad that Disney throws these things together and doesn’t come up with a GOOD plan.

I'd freak have they thought about people with mental illness I have PTSD and if someine walked in on me asleep or in the shower I could have a major flashback thst could ruin my whole trip

I don't think the intent was ever to make people feel safe. This is something their lawyers told them to do to limit liability if an incident ever happened. This is all about money not safety of their guests.
Yeah, I also figured that was probably what was going on. I just find it ironic that a result of this change is that so many of us now feel less safe as guests at these hotels.

I'm amazed at how many people apparently don't think to use the extra security latch when they are in their rooms.

I'm amazed at how many people apparently don't think to use the extra security latch when they are in their rooms.
It isn't that we don't use the latch. It is that sometimes we just don't want someone to knock.

Or one of our party is out of the room, and we don't want to lock them out.

And yes, housekeeping might have knocked anyway. But with this new policy, they are basically encouraged to knock.

This new policy (which isn't really new) is actually just a ploy to take the focus off the dog policy.

Well played, Disney.
When people were talking in those threads about "has anyone seen people so outraged at a new policy"...I was like uh..yeah all the time here on the DIS and I knew there would be another one eventually that would be the same..just how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter