Do Not Disturb Gone! (BLT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
58 people died and 546 people were injured during the Las Vegas shooting (per public records). If we cannot regulate guns or bump stocks used in shootings like that one, then hotels are forced to regulate visitors instead. I've seen a lot of comments about guest satisfaction, but I'm guessing that guest satisfaction would decrease if a similar incident occurred at a Disney property. WDW is doing the only thing it can do to limit liability. I may not be a corporation, but I respect the fact that they are trying to limit their liability and increase guest safety.
Disagree. If we are not going to do anything real then giving the appearance of just doing “something” is nothing.

This! Mandalay Bay is currently dealing with a class action lawsuit with 450 suing them. Which, I'm not sure any hotel wants to find themselves in their shoes. Unfortunately, the hotel industry had to learn the really hard way. That allowing guests to just leave the Do Not Disturb sign outside of the door for multiple days in a row, and not having a clue about what may or may not be happening in the room. Has forced Disney World, Hilton properties, and I'm sure others are in the process of as well. To put new policies and security procedures in place similar to what Disney is now doing. So they have an idea of what is, and isn't happening on their properties.
The problem is that they are being held liable for the incident. It shouldn’t be their responsibility to have to check on what guests are doing unless something is obviously suspicious. Maybe more will come out that shouldn’t have been missed. But, leaving the DND sign up for days itself really shouldn’t/wouldn’t be a red flag. It’s possible a normal person could do this for privacy for normal reasons. But, ppl are upset & want someone to pay so they probably will. And in our highly litigious society everything is done to mitigate law suits regardless of it’s true value.

Another few days at poly and still no problems. Have not been disturbed. Naps have not been a problem. Nothing seems different than previous stays, except the “off to neverland” door tag. Has been 4 days now. :-)

You mean a massive number of people on the Dis are freaking out about something that isn't really much a problem? No way!;););)

I thought every American would of heard about the LAs Vegas shooting that has internet or tv.
I had heard of the shooting, but couldn't tell that was what the OP was referring to. I thought maybe something more recent had happened that I wasn't aware of.

Seriously if all that activity is going to involve all waking hours, not sure why you would even go to Disney, it would be much less expensive to stay home. They are not going to be bother guests round the clock. I think some just look for something to get upset about it. There will be plenty of time while you are out of the room.
And I think some ppl will tolerate any intrusion or inconvenience in the name of false security.[/QUOTE]

I do not see it as either intrusion or inconvenience, it's a quick one day check that can easily be done during housekeeping.

And I think some ppl will tolerate any intrusion or inconvenience in the name of false security.

I do not see it as either intrusion or inconvenience, it's a quick one day check that can easily be done during housekeeping.[/QUOTE]
Maybe. That’s what we still don’t know. If it is, no big deal. If it’s disruptive to my vacation I won’t be happy.

Maybe the main reason Disney is doing this is just as a possible "deterrent" much like Home Secutiry systems(even the "Dummy" stickers and cameras).

If a burglar sees a home has a security system,they are much more likely to move on to a Home without one,so maybe the idea is if a terrorist knows Disney does room checks,they will not want to make an attempt there.
It's difficult to try and equate deterring a random robbery vs a targeted murder spree.

Your burglary thought process presupposes that a random thief randomly targeting houses will, all other things being equal, choose a house without an alarm vs with one.

If it's a targeted hit by someone who wants in that particular home, short of a sufficient armed presence, they won't be deterred by a alarm or much of anything else.

WDW is a target that if chosen will be to slaughter families and specifically children. It's a unique environment and draw that even a universal or sea world might not be an equally worthy target, if that was your thought process.

This certainly isn't something that a nutball doing even a cursory Google search for during preplanning wouldn't figure out how to work around it.

Also, it's not like any element of surprise or stealth isn't out the widow once the first shot is fired anyway.

The only truly intelligent decision Disney has made regarding security was decentralizing the bag checks.

I confirmed today ALL DVC will be getting daily room checks in January. Welcome 'home ' lol

Maybe. That’s what we still don’t know. If it is, no big deal. If it’s disruptive to my vacation I won’t be happy.
That's my problem.

I don't care if it is security theater, I believe it is, if I don't notice it.

But, if we end up with housekeeping or the "security steward" knocking on my door while I am otherwise engaged, they will hear about it.

If someone wants to come in the room after 9pm, I will have something to say about it.

And if they do anything but a quick glance around while they are collecting the empty trashcan, I won't just sit around while they search my things.

That's my problem.

I don't care if it is security theater, I believe it is, if I don't notice it.

But, if we end up with housekeeping or the "security steward" knocking on my door while I am otherwise engaged, they will hear about it.

If someone wants to come in the room after 9pm, I will have something to say about it.

And if they do anything but a quick glance around while they are collecting the empty trashcan, I won't just sit around while they search my things.

I'm pretty sure that searching through a person's things in a hotel room, would require a search warrant from the local authorities to do so. Not to mention a crime would have to be committed first and foremost before it led to that. If Disney themselves did that in a person's room, just because they think something suspicious is going on in it; it would be highly illegal. And, I'm pretty positive that Disney knows what they can and can't do in that regards.

Not long ago Disney was saying they would hire more people and do better training for the purpose of improving housekeeping. Could this be what they were planning all along? I sure hope not! I would rather see them actually improve the quality of housecleaning. I live only an hour away so staying onsite is more for convenience that a necessity. I will make a point of double locking the door at all times and not leaving anything of value in the room or room safe. I suspect they will still have some means to enter the room, though. I see nothing but trouble ahead.

You mean a massive number of people on the Dis are freaking out about something that isn't really much a problem? No way!;););)
This thread is getting incredibly silly. Baseless fourth amendment claims? Completely unfounded fears that Disney policy will lead to housekeepers searching through and stealing your things?

Last edited:
This is likely due to liability. The Vegas hotel is being sued by families who lost loved ones claiming the hotel didnt have enough security and didn't check the rooms.

It's likely this policy will be industry wide pretty soon.

This thread is getting incredibly silly. Baseless fourth amendment claims? Completely unfounded fears that Disney policy will lead to housekeepers searching through and stealing your things?

It was fun conjecture for a while, but at this point I worry that some people have nothing else going on in their lives if there is this level of concern about a Disney vacation. :bitelip:

And poisoning your dog that you have in the room.

This is likely due to liability. The Vegas hotel is being sued by families who lost loved ones claiming the hotel didnt have enough security and didn't check the rooms.

It's likely this policy will be industry wide pretty soon.

It has already been posted on another thread that many hotels are doing the same thing. The people who want to stop staying on Disney property because of it will have limited choices when staying off site too.

It was fun conjecture for a while, but at this point I worry that some people have nothing else going on in their lives if there is this level of concern about a Disney vacation. :bitelip:

If you're okay with this, that's cool.

But everyone has their own personal feelings about their right to privacy and reasons for not wanting to be disturbed. It clearly hit a nerve with some, just as the dogs in Disney resorts thread did.

Mocking people who have high levels of concern is not cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter