Do I qualify for a DAS?

SeptBabyMom

Mouseketeer
I've been to Disney numerous times, and will be travelling there again next month and are staying onsite. I've been dealing with a knee injury since October as a result of a car accident. Despite the treatment and physiotherapy, I'm having to accept the fact that I'm going on vacation and still dealing with tons of pain.

I'm honestly not sure how all the walking and standing and waiting will affect me yet. But I am trying to do my homework ahead of time in case I have major difficulties once I get there.

I'm wondering would I qualify for the DAS? Do I need to bring any proof of my injury?

What are my options for wheelchairs or scooters inside the park?

Thanks.

Jolene

Here is a link to the WDW - Disability Access Service (DAS) thread pinned near the top of this forum: http://www.disboards.com/threads/wd...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/
The first post of that thread should answer most questions.

In short, though, it sounds like a mobility device may be what you'll need rather than a DAS. Wheelchairs and ECVs can be rented in the park, or better yet from an off-site vendor which allows you to use it to/from your resort. There is info about rentals in post #2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread here: http://www.disboards.com/threads/di...disabled-1st-trip-next-trip-wish-trip.595713/

Enjoy your vacation!

Also, if I don't qualify for a DAS.... Would I be able to use the disability line?

There are no "disability lines" at WDW. You are welcome to use FP+ to pre-schedule 3 rides per day, with more available after you use those 3. This puts you into what is generally a shorter line, though that can depend on crowds and time of day. All guests enter via either the main standby queue or the FP+ queue at most attractions; very few have separate entrances. If you need to avoid stairs, simply inform the CMs along the queue or at the seating area.

Enjoy your vacation!

and :welcome: to the disABILITIES Forum! Feel free to ask your questions as you are working through your plans.

There are no "disability lines" at WDW. You are welcome to use FP+ to pre-schedule 3 rides per day, with more available after you use those 3. This puts you into what is generally a shorter line, though that can depend on crowds and time of day. All guests enter via either the main standby queue or the FP+ queue at most attractions; very few have separate entrances. If you need to avoid stairs, simply inform the CMs along the queue or at the seating area.

Enjoy your vacation!
My apologies.... I thought there was a separate entrance to rides for those in wheel chairs or scooters, and that was probably not the right name for a line anyways. I need more coffee. :)

We already have our FP+'s booked... very exciting.

I am sorry to hear about your car accident I hope you are doing well in your recovery as other have said it dose not sound like a DAS card would help you or they would give you one. there is no disability line and most lines are wheel chair/ ECV accessible all the way through a few ( like at HS TSMM have stares at this point the CM will direct you to a ramp where you and whom ever you are with will go ) some like NK BTMRR and maybe 2 or 3 other rides you will go through the Exit so these you will talk to a CM and they will give you a little card ( about the size of a business card that will have when you are to return and they will tell you where to go) a then a few ( MK space mountain you will be given a card to come back but will go through the FP line)

I would pick up a map for people with disabilities and go enjoy your day if there is a line that is not wheel chair friendly the CM willed you know and let you know what you need to do but for the most the lines are fine for Wheel chair /ECV

also you do not have to stay in your wheel chair ECV the whole time feel free to park the ECV and walk around some or to push the wheel chair there are so many people that do not need any acceptance out side of disney but need it for all the walking stand at disney so do what you need to do as fair as the sit walking goes no one will notice that you are not in a wheel chair ECV the whole time.

I hope this helped

I think your best bet would be to rent an off-site Ecv so you can use it at your hotel and outside the parks. Good luck!

To expand on what @powellrj said:

Most of the resorts require quite a bit of walking; it's not at all uncommon to have a 10 minute walk to from your room to buses, dining options, laundry, etc. Even for resorts like Wilderness Lodge (that are reasonably compact) you may find that having the ECV with you makes your vacation life more comfortable.

Disney Springs (formerly Downtown Disney) has recently opened yet ANOTHER expansion (Town Center) and is now larger than ever. You will certainly want to use an ECV there, and that is another reason to use an offsite rental.

Regardless of how you decide to handle your mobility issues, please remember that using a mobility device during this trip will be just another tool in your arsenal to make your vacation as pain-free as possible.

Let us know if you have any more questions about renting, or using an ECV or wheelchair. Everyone here will be glad to help! :)

I have severe arthritis in both knees and need them replaced and I started renting ECV's for my trips as of last summer. I rented from Buena Vista Scooters because they can deliver to the bell services at the Disney hotels (other vendors can too) - it's just easier to pick up and drop off that way for me. I have a 14 year and 18 year old and look healthy otherwise but my knees are shot - and painful! I also had a very bad bike accident last September and had a traumatic brain injury and was hospitalized and so on - it's been a long recovery and still ongoing.

A good touring plan, using the FP's and getting to the parks early (by opening) and riding as much has you can then will really help. The other option is if you don't really care to ride that many things then let your family do the hard core touring and you can join up with them when you feel up to it and take breaks when you need. That's what has worked for me. I totally recommend renting the ECV - it has made park touring FAR more enjoyable. I can park it and walk when I want and I always have a seat otherwise - and I can keep up with my family. It saves my knees and helps with the pain.

Thanks everyone. I spent some time reading up on all of this and am much more clear now about the DAS and who would qualify. Disney would definitely see my issues as being mobility issues.

So that leaves me with having to figure out what to do IF my knee becomes so bad that walking is difficult. We're travelling with 50 other families as my daughter's dance school is participating in Dance the World in June/July. I know how self conscious I will be 'if' I have no other choice but to use something. But if it comes to that, then it is what it is.

Thanks again.

What do your PT's say about how your knee is doing? Do they expect you will see significant improvement with regards to pain in the next month? If not, you might want to proceed with the idea that you're going to need help getting around and prepare for that. And frankly I think you'll actually be less self conscious using an ECV than hobbling around in pain (and everyone asking if you're OK). You might want to get used to using one before you go, so you're confident in driving and maneuvering - again that will help you "fit in" and not stand out. I think you'll find people in your group pretty understanding of your need to use something to get around the parks, especially if they have any idea of your accident.

Enjoy your trip!

Hey! I was in a car accident in October that destroyed my knee too! I think I'd make sure I had a game plan: Carry a backpack with anti-inflammatories and painkillers, crackable ice packs, a brace or ace bandage that can give compression, lotion to do massage. Take advantage of first aid! I'm sure another parents would let your child go with them onto a ride while you go and ice in first aid.

FWIW, my opinion is to always try to stay ahead of the pain. Feel free to PM me if you want to rant about your knee or bounce ideas off someone who understands! :hug:

What do your PT's say about how your knee is doing? Do they expect you will see significant improvement with regards to pain in the next month? If not, you might want to proceed with the idea that you're going to need help getting around and prepare for that. And frankly I think you'll actually be less self conscious using an ECV than hobbling around in pain (and everyone asking if you're OK). You might want to get used to using one before you go, so you're confident in driving and maneuvering - again that will help you "fit in" and not stand out. I think you'll find people in your group pretty understanding of your need to use something to get around the parks, especially if they have any idea of your accident.

Enjoy your trip!

Well we have seen improvement with the pain over the last 7 months, but there is still an underlying issue. We're hoping the MRI will help with that. We're just starting to understand that sitting for long times seems to be a major contributor of aggravation. That's just lovely, seeing I sit at a desk for 8.5 hours every day with my job. Ugh. I've just taken some steps to try and help this, and I'm hoping that will help my knee heal some before the trip next month. All along I thought walking and overusing it was the aggravator.... but now I'm not sure. :) And hopefully I'm right and all the walking I need to do in Disney won't be as big an issue as it has been.

But yes, I need to be prepared for the worse. I can't miss out on this experience for my daughter and I don't want to set back my progress.

If I can ask a side question for any pointers.......we were just at WDW. DH did ok with the walking. We walked , we sat, we walked , we sat. What got him was the rides with stairs (Toy story, dinosaur). He can do the steps, but he needs to take it slow. I would always walk behind him so no one will try to bump him to hurry him along. Any ideas to make this easier for him or are we doing all we can? Thank you.

If I can ask a side question for any pointers.......we were just at WDW. DH did ok with the walking. We walked , we sat, we walked , we sat. What got him was the rides with stairs (Toy story, dinosaur). He can do the steps, but he needs to take it slow. I would always walk behind him so no one will try to bump him to hurry him along. Any ideas to make this easier for him or are we doing all we can? Thank you.

Just let the CMs at the ride know that he can't do stairs and they can send him a different way.

Thank you, I didn't know that was an option. It's only a few rides that he has issues. I'd hate for him to skip rides because of it.

I would definitely suggest renting a scooter. My wife is in about the same situation as you. We opted to rent a scoot (offsite) and it was great. Most of the time she would use the scooter at resort hotel and while in the parks and moving from one land to the next. For example she used the scooter to get to Tomorrowland and then parked it. We rode some rides and then she got back on the scooter and drove to Fantasyland and parked it.

My advice is "it is better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it."

We rented from Buena Vista and it was at the resort waiting for us. The battery stayed almost fully charged the whole day. They do recommend turning off the switch while waiting in lines and not moving. This helps preserve the battery charge.

@SeptBabyMom - if you think that by the time the trip rolls around you will be better, then you may have options beyond an ECV.

You could, for example, rent a wheelchair, and use it as a walker when you needed/wanted to stand and walk, but then have it as a seat when you need/want to sit. And with at least 50 teenagers along, you should have no shortage of "helpers" to push you if you need help!

You can also rent a walker with a built-in seat (called a Rollator) from many places. That would let you push the walker (so that you have something to hang on to for stability) and have the seat available for when you need to stop and rest.

I know this may sound harsh, but you will be touring with dancers/athletes who should be able to understand the need to utilize whatever equipment is needed to complete your recovery and rehab. Don't let a herd of teenage girls - most of whom have never had a "bad knee day" in their lives - determine what is best for you.

Use whatever tools you need to make your time at WDW the best it can be. Don't worry about what anyone else may think (or say); make sure that you are doing what *YOU* need to do to complete your recovery.

Finally, please remember this: The people you are with at WDW will take their cues from you. If you act like renting an ECV is no big deal, and you stress that you are using it as a tool - just like people who can't see well use glasses, and people who can't do math use a calculator - as a tool - then the people you are with will follow suit. It will be a non-event.

If, on the other hand, you are obviously upset or anxious or otherwise distressed about it, then expect that the people who are traveling with you will be also.

Regardless of how you decide to handle the situation, I hope you have the best possible trip - and good luck to your group! :)

Oh - and one last thing. Make sure you have considered how you will deal with airports if you are flying; TSA lines will be brutal this summer (especially departing MCO) and if standing is difficult, or if the long walks through concourses (thinking about DFW where we routinely walk for what seems like hours) are going to cause a problem, you may want to consider how you will move through the airport as well.

What got him was the rides with stairs (Toy story, dinosaur). He can do the steps, but he needs to take it slow. I would always walk behind him so no one will try to bump him to hurry him along. Any ideas to make this easier for him or are we doing all we can? Thank you.
At Toy Story you can indicate you can't do the stairs and they'll direct you to the ramp. The wait may be longer but it is worth it. I'm not sure if Dinosaur has an alternate to the stairs though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter