• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do I need to see Rivers of Light?

I would try to move your ADR earlier. I enjoy this show.
We enjoyed it also. I would try to move the ADR. There were plenty of seat available in October, large stadium seating area. Suggestion, it was very chilly at night in October, so bundle up! Also, we sat 3 rows from the back, so we could scoot out of there at the end. We felt a tiny bit of mist blowing off the water because it was windy the night we were there. I would suggest to NOT sit in the front, many were leaving early, they seemed to be getting wet and it was very cold.

This is just my opinion, but unless you are doing a signature dining experience (character meal, celebrating an anniversary, etc.) dining should never drive what attractions you are able to do. The attractions you do should dictate the timing of your dining reservations. Depending on your tastes ROL may or may not be as good as the other nighttime shows, but a random Yak & Yeti reservation is not up there competing with a dining reservation at a character meal at Cinderella's castle or an anniversary dinner at Victoria & Albert's on the creating memories scale either.

I will take this one step further. I don't think that attractions should drive enjoyment. I have never understood why people try to cram so much into a schedule that they are constantly running behind, racing into through, or out of events, dinners, etc in order to get to the next thing on the list.

OP- you do not NEED to do anything. The question is "Do you want to see ROL?" If you do, make changes in your dining. If you don't care, and your dinner trumps the show, skip it. I skipped our FP to Mine Train when it first opened, and I had been up at midnight to score them. Friends wanted to go to Monsters, and so we went there. You see, the Mine Train was not as important as Monsters at the time. Personally, if I wanted to see the show, I would cancel the Y&Y, and hit the CS options in DAK. Now if this was Storybook Dining at AP competing with ROL? I would drop ROL in a heartbeat and head over to WL to meet Grumpy!

Id rather wait in line for Flight of Passage or ride Everest over and over ha

I like an early dinner esp in the winter when it gets dark early. I haven't seen it yet either but I'd give it a try.

As much as I love WDW, this was a once and done for me. I wouldn't refuse to see it again, but definitely would not put it in my plans...it would be something to do if we were trying to kill time. I wasn't impressed at all.

If you're not missing out of something else at 4:30, then I say move dinner and go see it. If you are cancelling your FP at Safari to go to dinner, etc, I say skip ROL and not worry about it. It is impossible to do everything and burn-out/going from fun to miserable will happen in a hurry if you attempt to do everything especially with young kids.

One and done....actually left before it was over and rode everest a few more times. I was greatly disappointed in it.

My kids really enjoyed it, as did I, but we were also able to walk in 10 minutes prior to the show starting and get seats right up front as earlier rain had driven a ton of people from the park...I may have felt differently if I had to get there way early, etc. If you can move your dinner, I would, but it's not the end of the world. We try to make sure to do two nighttime shows on each trip but if we don't see any more than that, no biggie.

Our current ADR at Yak and Yeti is at 6, ROL is at 6:30 in early January. My kids are too young to wait to eat until after ROL, so I'm trying to decide if I should try to change the reservation much earlier (4:30?) in order to be done in time to get a spot for ROL, or skip the show entirely. Thoughts? From what I've read the 15 min show isn't overwhelming, so I'm not sure if it's worth changing everything around.

Thanks!

In our opinion (party of 11 from age of 4 - 65) no. I mean I guess I'm glad we saw it once, but I cant imagine we'll ever see it again and we're ppl who always watch fireworks, fantasmic, parades etc. For us, it wasn't Disney (not that it has to be Disney, I LOVE Illuminations) and it just didnt hold anyone's interest.

If you have small kids, I wouldn't wait. But as an adult, I thought it was really a great, if not less exciting, nighttime show.

If it's going to cause problems with your plans, it's not tragic if you miss it. We aren't big fans and it's not a must see for us. Check out YouTube and get and idea for what it's like.

As much as I love WDW, this was a once and done for me. I wouldn't refuse to see it again, but definitely would not put it in my plans...it would be something to do if we were trying to kill time. I wasn't impressed at all.

Same for our family! Glad we did it once, but wouldn't go out of our way to see it again. One of the only things i have EVER said that about in Disney (35 trip veteran) and we aren't a ride-only family, but more of an enjoy the overall theming and experience family. I just thought they could have done so much more with the show (and yes, I get that they can't use fireworks, etc, but still think they could come up with something better).

We saw it last week with our family ranging in age from 7-68. We all enjoyed the show and would do it again. A few days later we all saw Fantasmic because my granddaughter had never seen it and it had been many years since the rest of us had seen it. Our family agreed that hands down we enjoyed ROL more. I guess to each his own.

I haven’t seen it yet. Probably will this summer. Mainly just want to see pandora as well at night. Last trip I rode FOP which was awesome. But I really want to be there at night. Looks awesome

I really likes it myself, but I believe they recently removed the live actors from it, which I think greatly hurts the show. If they brought them back, I would say yes, it is definitely worth seeing.

We missed it. :( It was another very hot day (for us northerners) and my son was wanting to take a break and head back for a swim, and we ended up having supper and a swim at the resort and there just wasn't enough time to get back for it.

the show is good but nothing that special, specially compared to all other Disney nighttime shows.
we saw last month for the first time and we did like it, but I wouldn't mind to watch it again... different from other Disney shows that I NEED TO watch every single time lol

but I think everybody should try to watch it at least once, some people really enjoy it. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter