Do "cooling towels" work in humidity.

jjskribs

<font color=purple>The TF is not a baseball fan, s
I will be in Florida in late July mainly to attend a professional soccer match in Orlando. I do plan to spend a little time in the parks as well. I have never been to Florida in the summer and I do not tolerate heat very well.

I am thinking of purchasing a cooling towel but have read that they really are not very effective in humidity. Has anyone found them to be useful in Florida? I did purchase a Frogg Togg last year but I hate how it is "crunchy" when it's dry. Could anyone share their experiences both positive and negative with any particular brand... thank you.

I will be in Florida in late July mainly to attend a professional soccer match in Orlando. I do plan to spend a little time in the parks as well. I have never been to Florida in the summer and I do not tolerate heat very well.

I am thinking of purchasing a cooling towel but have read that they really are not very effective in humidity. Has anyone found them to be useful in Florida? I did purchase a Frogg Togg last year but I hate how it is "crunchy" when it's dry. Could anyone share their experiences both positive and negative with any particular brand... thank you.

I think they work well. Our Frog Toggs helped us a lot on our most recent trip (early June).

Invest in a mister fan instead.

You'll find different answers. I live 2 hours south of Disney and work outside. I've used 2 or 3 different kinds of the cooling towels and have felt no affect. Felt nothing more than just a wet rag

As PP said, you'll get varying answers. We bought "The Perfect Towel" at COSTCO a few years ago and used them on an August WDW trip and they worked great for us.

We used some AlphaCool towels on our last trip (and we use them here when it's hot too). from Maryland. I love mine much more than a misting fan. I just squeeze out my towel and throw it into a plastic bag and into my pocket when I am on a ride so it's much more portable than the misting fan (I like to have my hands free and not have things to put away everytime I get on a ride). When I am standing in line or hot or feeling ill, I pull it out and wrap it around my neck and I feel much better.

If you already sweat a lot, cooling towels will not do much more for you. Going during a high humidity time of year will significantly reduce any towel's effectiveness.

Cooling towels attempt to do the same thing that your body already does via sweating. I sweat a lot, so damp towels around my neck do nothing for me. Also keep in mind, any towel or piece of fabric will do exactly the same thing as a cooling towel that costs $20 or more. Consumer Reports did a study showing an ordinary kitchen towel performed exactly the same as cooling towels that cost a lot more. Efficacy of any towel (or your body's natural process of sweating) will be reduced as the humidity in the air increases.

I just stick with loose fitting, quick drying clothing and I stay as cool as I possibly can in Florida heat and humidity.

I put my Frog Togg in a small ziplock bag with some ice at the start of the day. The towel absorbs the liquid as the ice melts and the towel stays cooler longer. However, I'll admit that in the Florida humidity....at some point NOTHING feels cool. :sunny:

I will be in Florida in late July mainly to attend a professional soccer match in Orlando. I do plan to spend a little time in the parks as well. I have never been to Florida in the summer and I do not tolerate heat very well. I am thinking of purchasing a cooling towel but have read that they really are not very effective in humidity. Has anyone found them to be useful in Florida?

Disney actually sells a cooling towel (they used to be on counters but now found in the beverage fridges to keep them cold). those are the only ones I've tried and I love them. Generally 1 works for an entire week at the park and I just bring a ziplock bag to store it in, lightly rinse it when at the room and put it in the fridge to cool it down overnight.

A little warning though, the oils and alcohol in them that cleans up you and causes the cooling effect will quickly tell you how sun burnt you are even if your not showing it. Make sure you take care of the sunscreen applying it as directed (every couple hours usually). We actually started to buy a sunscreen specific to face with a higher spf after using these the first time and finding out we were sunburnt, just not red yet.. coppertone actually makes a cooling sunscreen that is sprayed on, that's our favorite as well since you get a quick cooling off from it and has aloe in it to help if your starting to feel the effects of the sun.. Disney used to sell it everywhere but I havent actually needed to buy at disney lately so I am not sure if it's still readily available.

Do you think they would work if the person isn't really sweating much but their body temp is up? My mother-in-law just got one of these (I forget what brand but it was a standard size-looked to be decent size for only $4.50). She doesn't really sweat a huge amount but she gets HOT all the time (no joke here). She has used mister fans (and heck she will probably buy one when we go) but it's usually a hassle with her bringing to places cuz she has to carry it (or she makes her husband carry it)..it's just a bulky item (the small ones don't work well on her).

We're well used to humidity here in KC but none of us have actually tried the cooling towels.

Mission Enduracool towels are our favorite because when they dry, they are super lightweight and easy to carry anywhere. Frogg Toggs are SO heavy when wet and they take forever to dry and so you have a damp, warm towel on your neck mostly. The Mission brand ones need to be re wet more frequently, but I prefer that. They also don't make your clothes wet.

The Frog Toggs worked great for us! We cut one down the middle to make 2 of them so they weren't so bulky and kept them in a ziplock bag when not in use. They never got crunchy feeling.

Mission Enduracool towels are our favorite because when they dry, they are super lightweight and easy to carry anywhere. Frogg Toggs are SO heavy when wet and they take forever to dry and so you have a damp, warm towel on your neck mostly. The Mission brand ones need to be re wet more frequently, but I prefer that. They also don't make your clothes wet.

I've been thinking about getting a Mission brand one here at Target and trying it out. Either towel form or like a buff type. Mainly because the display board and container have my boy Drew Brees on it lol

I agree. We got some free towels after the Jingle Jungle 5K last year that were lighter than Frogg Toggs (I'm not sure the brand, but Enduracool sounds familiar) and the lighter ones were much nicer than the heavy Frogg Togg.

You'll find different answers. I live 2 hours south of Disney and work outside. I've used 2 or 3 different kinds of the cooling towels and have felt no affect. Felt nothing more than just a wet rag
It really felt awful on my neck and I ditched it.

I felt that the frogg toggs towel worked pretty well, but I didn't like the way it dried and became stiff either. I went out and bought a mission enduracool towel and imo it did not work nearly as well as the frogg toggs. I also bought a mission enduracool baseball hat that you can wet and wear and it helped quite a bit but holy hairdo! when I took it off

We are another family that loved the frogg toggs (and we travel every August to Disney). As PP's mentioned, we stored them in ziploc bags.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter