Do any of you just wing it?

Experience has taught me what I need to plan, and where I can be flexible. Taking newbies this next trip, planning 2 days at MK, so roughly know which rides to get FP and which can be Standby. 1st day rope drop, then jungle cruise, pirates, FP Thunder, Splash closed, see Muppets maybe, standby HM, lunch at Harbour House, then FP Pan,
standby Small World, FP Mine train, Standby Phil, on the way out standby Tiki Birds, talking Mickey(maybe get Fp). No times planned except eating around 11am. Next day at MK will be Tomorrowland and back to FantasyLand. This is flexible to me. :)

I make a plan and I know what would be the best order for rides, etc. So I know this, but my family doesn't. I just guide them along, we don't race, and if they want to do buzz 5x's in a row (yes they did, there was little wait) then we do it. After that we move on to the next plan (in my head.)

I have been a super planner on my previous trips and it wasn't necessairly the way my family wanted to be. This last trip in March it was just my dd and I and I only planned where we might eat and if we didn't then we didn't. It was a much more relaxed trip and I didn't feel frazzled. During the fireworks we rode rides and we left in the middle of the day to just hang out at the pool. I hope that each of our trips in the future is more like the last one and not like the first ones were we had to be at a certain place at a certain time. I have to say though that I used the app for my phone so we knew ride wait times and that was all.

That's pretty much what we do. We've had unexpected things happen before (delays, illness, etc.) and while it's been disappointing to miss things, we don't let it run our trip.

Hi

Same here we plan a bit more, we go for 14 days (UK based) and I plan which parks on what days, that cuts out the "What are we going to do today" morning deal. We nearly always plan two parks a day with a break in between and I look at which park we would best use our FP+ (morning or afternoon.) So rope drop would mean no FP+ needed, say in MK but FP+ in EPCOT later.. you get the idea. ADR and other tickets fit around or determine what else we do or what days we plan.

Plans can be changed, I think without any plan i.e. nothing booked, would be a disaster .. long wait times and no food ( = unhappy DW and 2 x DD for me)

As you have both rides and food covered you'll have a great time.

Regards

Paul

We plan way more than we used to and by that I mean fastpasses and limited ADR's. We do go with the flow afterwards except for maybe fireworks or parade but we have a good feel for when to visit certain attractions now.

We plan FastPasses and ADRs and that gives the day a general structure. After that we do whatever. Maybe get more FastPasses if anything interesting comes up, do some shopping, etc. My kids are small though (3 and 5) so a slow pace is required.

We really wing it...maybe a couple ADRs and a couple fast passes and that is it. We decide where we are going once there.

and by that I mean, I know which parks and which days, and I have my FP+ and my ADRs already booked, but aside from that, how many of you just go with the flow from that point on? We are leaving on June 3rd - it's me, DH and DSs (16 and 14). DH has never been and DSs were too little to remember most of it, so it will be like a first time for all. I want to make sure everyone has a good time, but I don't want to run everyone ragged either! Can you have a relaxed time without a "plan"?

It's what we do and I wouldn't change it. Having a vague idea, with FP's booked and a few ADR's, gives you the most flexibility. Weather can change your plans and it's great having that openness to "go the other way" if you see the masses going somewhere you were going to go.

and by that I mean, I know which parks and which days, and I have my FP+ and my ADRs already booked, but aside from that, how many of you just go with the flow from that point on? We are leaving on June 3rd - it's me, DH and DSs (16 and 14). DH has never been and DSs were too little to remember most of it, so it will be like a first time for all. I want to make sure everyone has a good time, but I don't want to run everyone ragged either! Can you have a relaxed time without a "plan"?

We don't even go that far! We usually make about 3 ADR's, plus our FP's (which we constantly tweak) at around 60 days with our (usually) AP's.

Just got back from 10 nights - hopped as we wanted spur of the moment, ate wherever/whenever the mood struck us, and had one of the best trips ever! I have never/would never plan all our days - would drive us nuts! :) Having ADR's every day (let alone every meal) would make us miserable tying us down and taking so much time. We did pick up a few more TS spur of the moment, but didn't have to plan certain times or parks.

No planning, or structuring - enough of that in daily life - we just want to relax and enjoy - also let Disney do 'all' the driving!! :-)

Experience has taught me what I need to plan, and where I can be flexible. Taking newbies this next trip, planning 2 days at MK, so roughly know which rides to get FP and which can be Standby. 1st day rope drop, then jungle cruise, pirates, FP Thunder, Splash closed, see Muppets maybe, standby HM, lunch at Harbour House, then FP Pan,
standby Small World, FP Mine train, Standby Phil, on the way out standby Tiki Birds, talking Mickey(maybe get Fp). No times planned except eating around 11am. Next day at MK will be Tomorrowland and back to FantasyLand. This is flexible to me. :)

That would be structured to me! :goodvibes

No plans in 1988 and it was OK but I almost totally blew off Epcot due to not knowing what it was really and no research.

Mega research and Touring Plans in 1998 and everything was done without a hitch.

Winged it in 2001 and it was awful. Awful, awful, horrible hated it.

Back to planning last March and it was magical all over again.

Having been frequently (lived in Orlando for about 8 months), I prefer "winging it" but then again I've already enjoyed most attractions multiple times and don't usually feel the pressure of time (usually have an AP). I like to do what I am in the mood for and eat what I want when the desire hits. I like to plan one or two ADRs that I want (but have even booked those last minute) and try to book a fast pass for the attractions I really want to do- other than that - I just see I what I want to do - what is available - how long I'm willing to wait and go from there. Once I wasn't able to get a Frozen fastpass but really wanted to do that ride - I came early on a Saturday morning at rope drop - was able to do Frozen with little wait time - 10 minutes after 9am - I was on the ride! Also single rider lines are available for some attractions and that can be helpful - I'm thinking of EE and TT off hand. If a park is too hot and crowded, I will just leave and go explore a resort - have a nice drink - I love that just as much! There are so many fun things to enjoy at Disney World - so many options - I can always find something I really enjoy - and sometimes those are the little gems that make things extra special! Once I remember ducking out of the heat and crowds into the Grand Floridian - listening to the piano and jazz band - ice cream at the counter service - soaking in the magical atmosphere - loved that afternoon!

Last edited:
I wouldn't say I'm a super planner, but rather a super researcher if there's a difference?!

I keep informed about what park is recommended on a particular day by looking at the crowd calendars and then choose the park for that day and make our ADR's and FP's based on that. However, once in the park we'll just go to whichever ride we fancy as long as the wait time isn't excessive (30-min standby is our limit). Although, because of prior research and experience we do have a 'strategy' in mind to make the best use of our time throughout the day and which attractions are best to target at what time.

Also, if we decide to change parks on any particular day, I'll look at moving around our ADR/FP's that day using the MDE app so we're able to remain flexible and not stick to a rigid plan too much.

LOL that is planning. I would not consider this winging it/going with the flow at all.

I totally agree; their parks, days, FPs and ADRs are all planned. To me, "winging it" means you do whatever you feel like, at the spur of the moment; no plans at all.

We also do our FP and ADRs, and we always decide which park on which day in advance. I'm starting to get nervous that my ADR window is opening and we don't have December hours yet, I guess that's the planner in me freaking out.

I plan FP, and maybe a few ADR. Lately, I have made fewer and fewer advanced dining reservations. If there is a "MUST DO" restaurant, I make the ADR. But most days I look at the App and see where I can get a same day reservation. And no, that doesn't mean eating at Shutter's and Boatwrights every night, I have gotten same day ADR's at many hard to get places including BOG and Ohana

I have also found some awesome hidden gems that I were off my radar using this method. The Wave and Turf Club were both excellent.

For us, having a plan does NOT mean "running everyone ragged". It means we can walk from ride to ride, knowing that we won't spend more than 15-20 minutes in any line.

Our plan has walk times (and wait times) built in, so we show up in time to use our FPs, have time to go to lunch, etc. We never run anywhere, and it leaves us free time in the afternoon to hit a water park, free time in the evening to play SotMK, ...and still get to experience twice as many rides as the people who show up at 1130 with no plan, FPs, etc.

This is us, too. We use Touring Plans, input what we want to do, tell it to make our plan and rearrange it a smidge if need be. The one time something happened and we couldn't use our plan, the lines were so long that we felt discouraged and miserable just walking around aimlessly. By sticking with our plan there are breaks, meals, loads of rides and all with minimal wait. My sister in law admitted recently that she wished she had done it our way instead of playing it by ear, because standing in line for an hour or more with 3 little girls was more stressful than fun!

After thinking about it some, I can understand why a lot of you 'do' plan and research things out in advance.
We have been going to Disney since MK opened, so we have sort of 'grown' with Disney, so each new trip just basically needed a slight refresher course as each new park was added and we were fine.

As newbies and even not so newbies, it could be very overwhelming with 4 parks and all the things that have been added/changed in the last 10 years especially. Winging it would be very hard indeed in that respect.

But, for us, we can't vacation that way, but then we don't have to as we know the parks mostly inside out by now. We're not happy about most of the changes of the last 10 years, but we accept, and move on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter