• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DMV and Moving to Florida

rachel09985

DIS Veteran
Hi! We are moving to Orlando in three weeks..I got transferred! So exciting!

I was wondering if anyone knew about DMV once you move to Florida.

We are contemplating buying a car before we move but the Florida DMV says that you owe tax if you buy it less than 6 months ago.
You bought it less than six months ago
If the motor vehicle was purchased and used less than six months in another state, territory of the United States or the District of Columbia, the full amount of the six percent Florida sales or use tax and local discretionary sales surtax is required. However, that is offset by the sales tax you paid in the prior jurisdiction. For example, if you owe 6% to Florida, but you paid 4% to another state, you will only owe 2% to Florida.

What does this mean? Ohio tax is 5.75% on cars and Florida is 6%. Does this just mean that I pay .25% extra once I move?

If you got that info from Florida DMV...yes. Of course, depending on exactly where you live the tax could be more than 6%. For example, here in Miami-Dade County, we have an additional 1% sales tax.

If you got that info from Florida DMV...yes. Of course, depending on exactly where you live the tax could be more than 6%. For example, here in Miami-Dade County, we have an additional 1% sales tax.

And, of course, you'll not get any of the overage back. Correct?

Nice they give you credit for what you paid in another state. I think California wants their FULL 8% no matter what you paid in another state. Of course we have bordering state with no sales tax, so I think that may be what motivated that policy.

It also depends on which county you end up registering the vehicle in; Osceola county is 6.5%. Don't know about Lake or Polk. BTW, the Osceola County DMV is easy to find and probably unlike any DMV you've ever dealt with. You can make an appointment on line, and when you get there, there's a dedicated line for people with appointments. You get a number, and when your number is called or you see it on the monitor, you go through the brown doors to the designated window, and a very pleasant, knowledgeable clerk will take care of you. We had to do the paperwork to transfer ownership of two cars to one of our DDs, so we made the appointment, arrived 5 minutes before our scheduled time, checked in and got our number and sat down. We hadn't been seated for 5 minutes when our number was called, and the entire transaction took exactly 7 minutes - I timed it. We were in and out within 15 minutes, DD had her new registration and tags and we were good to go.

Queen Colleen

It also depends on which county you end up registering the vehicle in; Osceola county is 6.5%. Don't know about Lake or Polk. BTW, the Osceola County DMV is easy to find and probably unlike any DMV you've ever dealt with. You can make an appointment on line, and when you get there, there's a dedicated line for people with appointments. You get a number, and when your number is called or you see it on the monitor, you go through the brown doors to the designated window, and a very pleasant, knowledgeable clerk will take care of you. We had to do the paperwork to transfer ownership of two cars to one of our DDs, so we made the appointment, arrived 5 minutes before our scheduled time, checked in and got our number and sat down. We hadn't been seated for 5 minutes when our number was called, and the entire transaction took exactly 7 minutes - I timed it. We were in and out within 15 minutes, DD had her new registration and tags and we were good to go.

Queen Colleen

Oh my gosh that is amazing! We will definitely be doing that. We are right by Orlando and the outlets so I have no idea what county we will be in.

Oh my gosh that is amazing! We will definitely be doing that. We are right by Orlando and the outlets so I have no idea what county we will be in.
You will be in Orange County. You can also go online to make your appointment. Just remember all your paperwork! Proof of insurance from the state you are relocating from, receipts from the purchase of your car and the title if its already paid off. Also your drivers license. You can check the website to make sure you wont need anything else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter