DME late night experiences

stanley

Veteran WDW Philosopher
I need some suggestions since we have not used DME.
Trying to decide between towncar or using DME (but only for transport not for luggage). Or possibly using towncar on arrival and DME for departure.

We arrive in Orlando at 11:30PM. We pick up luggage and go to check-in desk (correct or vice-versa?). How long is the entire process or to resort after that? I assume it couldn't be that long due to less arrivals.

Return trip we don't leave till 9:00PM. Will we be picked up around 6PM by DME? I know the towncars usually pick you up about 2 hours before flight.
Anyone have experience with this situation and how did you make out?

It you want to take your luggage on the ME bus yourself then pick it up and take it to the bus with you (no yellow tags and that late a good choice).

I think that late you might not have to wait long but you never know depending on if they think more will be arriving they may wait to fill the bus.

On return yes about 6:00pm will be your pickup time give or take 15 min. We just had that time for our June trip and had no problems at all.

Last yes you can do ME for either way or both with no problems

This past March, we arrived at MCO about 1 a.m. We had DME pick up our luggage. When we checked in at POFQ, the CM asked if we wanted it delivered right when it came, or we had the option of calling when we woke up. We chose the latter. When I woke up, I called the front desk and our luggage was delivered right away. Also, be sure to pack a carry-on bag with pajamas and a change of clothes and bathing suits for the next morning if you choose to have DME pick up your luggage. It was a nice convenience because we had a lot of luggage and did not feel like dragging it around all over the place.

Also, our flight back to Philly was 8 p.m. We were picked up at POFQ at 5:30 p.m. We stopped at 2 other resorts to pick up passangers, but still made our flight in plenty of time.

I enjoy DME. Good luck with your decision.

I just re-read your post and it said you weren't going to use them for luggage transport. Sorry!

Taking a town car is really relaxing, and nice. We haven't done that since ME started! We prefer to save the $100+ for something else.

MCO seems busy to me at most every time of day. Especially if you are arriving in peak season. Many airlines have late arrivals. That being said, it doesn't really matter what time of day you arrive it is the "season". ME goes much faster in value season!

I'd have one person go get the bags as the other one goes straight to the ME check in desk.

We have had it where there are fewer people working at check in when you arrive at your resort. In that case, I'd suggest that you sit up as close as you can to to driver on the bus and have one person get the luggage from the bus as the other jumps in the check in line. That can help you save time, because it takes a few minutes to check in each guest ahead of you.

Good luck!

I just re-read your post and it said you weren't going to use them for luggage transport. Sorry!

Don't apologize - I'm in the exact same boat and your post was super helpful to me. I was wondering about the luggage when you get there so late. Thanks for laying out the options! :thumbsup2

I have never used ME but my vote is for a town car. It was just nice getting right into the car and going straight there (our plane didn't land until after midnight)

Have done it both ways.

ME is great. We flew in one night and did not arrive until 12:15am. Went to ME checkin (did not check luggage, only carryons). They processed us veyr quickly (2 mins or less) then we were off and the only ones on the bus. Right to the resort and check in. The three times I have used ME, from stepping off the aircraft, to checking in at the resort was under 1 hour. I have done 1 trip arriving after midnight and two that arrive at 10am.

The biggest problems with ME is the day you leave.
Leaving there yes, they do want you there 3 hours prior, which really sucks but they want no liability in case you miss your flight. Each time I have used it we were at the airport with over 2 hours to kill before the departure.
On the last day you can take your luggage to store it. This line can be long at times. The line to check in your checked bagged is even longer. Get there early. Getting your bag out sometimes is a royal PITA, but it is better than the morning. Another problem is when the bus comes and there are alot of people who have missed earlier busses or the busses are running a little late. It can be a total nightmare.

The town car was AWESOME. Pick up was a breeze. Getting to the resort after stopping for grocerys took us about 1 hour and 10 mins. The really nice part was when we left. The car was there and ready for us and was about 2 hours prior to departure. We got to the airport and had 1 hour and 30 mins to wait.

If you are really wanting to spend the money, go ahead and get the car. It is alot more personal and relaxing. The ME coaches are good, but they do sometimes resemble a cattle car, especially around 11am-3pm leaving the airport and going back to the airport from the resort.

Good luck

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter