DLR Mother/Daughter Trip - Hotel Questions

JJ2017

DIS Veteran
Daydreaming that an end of July trip can happen for my daughter - 8 - and I as we are already visiting family in OC.

I have stayed solo at the Fairfield Inn on Harbor. It was super close for me....but I was jealous of the even closer hotels!

I'm trying to decide if I should book Fairfield Inn on my Marriott points or Best Western Park Place on cash. "Free or cash." This is a one park day trip with two nights in the hotel.

While cost is a factor, I also want to feel safe walking alone with DD at night and save her little legs as much as possible.

Any main reason to choose one hotel over the other? Pool wouldn't be a deciding factor. Thanks!

Hmm....I’ve never stayed at the Best Western but have stayed at the Fairfield Inn with my 2 daughters a few times. I’ve always been so happy at The Fairfield Inn. It’s a very quick walk (6-8 minutes), I love the old Disney photos in the lobby, even late at night I’ve always felt safe and the staff always welcomes us back, and we’ve enjoyed the updated rooms. It was sold out already when I checked on it for our May trip otherwise we’d probably be staying there again.

Plus, for free (points), I’d definitely walk the additional 2 or 3 minutes from the Best Western!

Daydreaming that an end of July trip can happen for my daughter - 8 - and I as we are already visiting family in OC.

I have stayed solo at the Fairfield Inn on Harbor. It was super close for me....but I was jealous of the even closer hotels!

I'm trying to decide if I should book Fairfield Inn on my Marriott points or Best Western Park Place on cash. "Free or cash." This is a one park day trip with two nights in the hotel.

While cost is a factor, I also want to feel safe walking alone with DD at night and save her little legs as much as possible.

Any main reason to choose one hotel over the other? Pool wouldn't be a deciding factor. Thanks!
I personally just booked a stay at the best western plus mini suites at the end of July and early August for similar reasons with a 6, almost 7yo. Between proximity and hotel review from someone I've come to trust when it comes to Disney, I felt like this was the best option. But I didn't have free points! Lol. I'd probably save the money on a hotel and use it for an extra souvenir or experience that you would cut out if you didnt save the money. Either a special dinner, a droid from droid depot, or something else just as fun.

The area around the entire DL resort hotels is safe to walk around, even in the dark at night. You might see some homeless people around, but they tend not to bother the tourists in most cases. The rare ones who do will usually be attended to by local deputies.

oh my guys - i was booking a best western in seattle! price is much higher for the anaheim location. i'll look at at the marriott a bit more closely based on this!!!!!!
Whoops, good thing you didn’t book it and forget about it. Lol.

If you are looking for another good option, we have always been happy with the Park Vue Inn. If you get a room that has a Queen bed and a Bunkbed it will be close to the front of the property for an even shorter walk. I don't know what their pricing is post pandemic but they were always reasonably priced before.

Edit: Spelling ...

I always stay at the best Western Park Place. I booked my third stay there for this next trip. For me the disney magic starts on the other side of the street. So at the end of the day when I cross that crosswalk I'm done. Being at the hotel and just needing to trudge to to my room to collapse is worth it to me.

If you weren't using the Marriott points for this stay, what would you use them for? You're most likely getting less than 0.5 cents of value per Marriott point which is bad globally but more typical for popular destinations in the US. Points are also best used for 5 night stays because the 5th night of a redemption is free. Using the points for two nights at the Fairfield would generally be considered a bad use of points but it depends on your travel patterns. If you have no better use for the points or have a huge excess of points that you'd never be able to use up, then you should just pay in points and not even worry about the Best Western.

But if you travel to places where you can get better value for the points, then you should be looking at the two hotels assuming that you pay in cash at both properties.

If you weren't using the Marriott points for this stay, what would you use them for? You're most likely getting less than 0.5 cents of value per Marriott point which is bad globally but more typical for popular destinations in the US. Points are also best used for 5 night stays because the 5th night of a redemption is free. Using the points for two nights at the Fairfield would generally be considered a bad use of points but it depends on your travel patterns. If you have no better use for the points or have a huge excess of points that you'd never be able to use up, then you should just pay in points and not even worry about the Best Western.

But if you travel to places where you can get better value for the points, then you should be looking at the two hotels assuming that you pay in cash at both properties.
You are 100% right. it’s all a mental game of how much I can save for this trip but it’s a terrible point value! I am going to keep researching. I really wish Fairfield was at 35k points per night Bc I have two free certificates to use and they will expire if I don’t use them. But each night is at 40k.

You are 100% right. it’s all a mental game of how much I can save for this trip but it’s a terrible point value! I am going to keep researching. I really wish Fairfield was at 35k points per night Bc I have two free certificates to use and they will expire if I don’t use them. But each night is at 40k.

The Fairfield is category 5 so if you can be a bit flexible with your dates, there should be some days that it's 35K points. If you can't change your dates, the next closest category 5 would be the Four Points but it is a bit noisy from the freeway and don't include free breakfast (Platinum members can get breakfast instead of welcome points). The Springhill by the Convention Center is about a 15 minute walk to the entrance. The Convention Center Marriott is a bit further but has an Art bus stop right outside that can take you to the entrance and is the nicest category 5 in the area in my opinion. If you don't get access to the lounge breakfast through platinum status, they have a coffee shop/Starbucks with pastries.

The Fairfield is category 5 so if you can be a bit flexible with your dates, there should be some days that it's 35K points. If you can't change your dates, the next closest category 5 would be the Four Points but it is a bit noisy from the freeway and don't include free breakfast (Platinum members can get breakfast instead of welcome points). The Springhill by the Convention Center is about a 15 minute walk to the entrance. The Convention Center Marriott is a bit further but has an Art bus stop right outside that can take you to the entrance and is the nicest category 5 in the area in my opinion. If you don't get access to the lounge breakfast through platinum status, they have a coffee shop/Starbucks with pastries.
I might call Marriott and ask politely if I could still use my certificates even though it's above the point value (since it's the same category). They will expire if not - worth a shot! Thanks for the other suggestions.

Have you looked at grand legacy? It’s not too far from the entrance. We are staying at Park Vue for the first time next week. Super excited! We loved the best western Anaheim inn when we stayed in summer last year. Tropicana was also wonderful

I’m curious how well Fairfield honors status. I’m platinum but I see they charge for early check in and late check out. I wonder if elite members can get some of that stuff waived.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter