• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DLH vs GCH distance to Disneyland(not DCA)

Agreed on the long hallways, to us the walk felt just as long as Adventure tower. We prefer the walk through Downtown Disney rather than the hallways just because the hallways seemed to carry noise (to us). There was a family camped out in the hallway on a blanket just across from our room for a while when we first checked-in to the hotel last October. We got there at maybe 3:00pm and they were out there until about 4:30ish, not sure what they were doing. They may have been staying at the hotel but for some reason lost access to the room for that long period of time? You can't really tell though because anyone can use the elevators, they don't require keycard access...but I digress.

We could hear them all during that time as we were relaxing in the room and getting ready for OBB that night. They weren't being particularly loud, just talking and eating on their blanket. I was extra cognizant of talking in the hallways or making noise after hearing that because of how easy it is for noise to travel through the doors when we were walking back late at night.

I would be lying if I didn't do an audible gasp when I read 17 mins :scared: I just saved that shortcut to my notes LOL I heard murmurs(I have not heard it again) that that monorail was not going to be back up and running by December & I did get a little scared.

I know the Frontier tower is the furthest but I am really hoping for a balcony, so I had them put it in the request at reservation. Is there a reason why you prefer the the Frontier?
We like the balcony to watch the fireworks. We also often get suite (I think there are more of them in the Frontier tower), and we like to go back into DCA in the evening, so it's a quick back and forth using the paradise pier gate for entry/exit. We bought at VDH, so this last trip was likely our last in the Frontier tower. It'll be Villas mostly going forward.

I don't understand your last sentence. Are you saying that you're rushing through DCA when the park opens to get to Disneyland and there are CMs who ask you not to do that?
Except that only works after 11 am these days.

My tale of using DCA as a route to/from Disneyland is more for when we are having a late start to our day or are coming/going from our mid-day rest. We have a little one who doesn't do well if we push it too hard and staying at the Grand Cal was magical compared to other stays we have done when we had a 1+ mile walk back to the hotel after a long day in the parks. I'm 99% sure you can go into either park after 11am even if Disneyland is your scheduled park?

We usually have late starts to our days or on the rare occasion when we do rope drop, it's nice to get back to the room to rest and make sure our little girl will have a happy day come fireworks time.

The one perk that has kind of changed the game is the new DVC lounge (if you are eligible) as it's a great alternative place to relax and recharge right in the middle of Tomorrowland (but going into the room is better IMO).

Agreed on the long hallways, to us the walk felt just as long as Adventure tower. We prefer the walk through Downtown Disney rather than the hallways just because the hallways seemed to carry noise (to us).
Glad to hear this. We just got back from our trip and we were in Frontier tower. We were happy with the room b/c we booked a standard room, but they put us on the 10th floor with an awesome view of the fireworks. The walk wasn't far at all, but every time we walked through DTD and passed the GCH security gate, I felt a little jealous. We don't plan on going back for another year or two at the earliest, but I was really thinking that we should consider GCH b/c of the proximity. But if it might end up being almost as far as DLH, I think we'd rather stay in DLH. We're big Pixar fans though, so really waiting to see what the rooms look like there after the PPH re-theme is done. If they're nice enough, we might not mind the extra walk to DTD -especially since it has its own DCA entrance now.

Thanks to all who reminded me that phone-based tickets are now the norm! And especially for Magic Key holders, I guess. That would make it very easy for people who look similar to use the same pass for multiple people.
Back when we had passes in 2018-2019, we always just used our physical passes to enter. But I had scanned all of them into the app for MaxPass (RIP).
My wife went out of town and my son and I were planning on going to Disneyland while she was gone and we realized she had his physical pass. We panicked and thought we might have to go to guest services to get a temporary replacement when I found out I could just use my phone, since his pass was already on it. We were still nervous but it worked fine. The luddite in me just didn't trust it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter