• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DLH Pool Cabana's

pavicich

Mouseketeer
With the pools at GC being closed and spring break season upon us, we are seriously looking into renting a cabana at DLH at least one day we are there. We don't feel like worrying about getting to the pool at the crack of dawn and we want to ensure we have shade and a bit of space.

I have looked online to get a feel for where they are and have a few questions-

-Are the DLH pool crowds effected by the GCH closures or are we fretting over nothing?
-Can we bring our own drinks from our grocery delivery since the cabanas have a fridge or is this frowned upon?
-What is proper etiquette on tipping the attendant?
-I am thinking one of the cabanas by the pool would be better for our party-is there room to bring another lounger over if we find one not being used?

Thank you in advance for any and all insight!

When will you be at Disneyland? It has been pretty cold here this spring so far. The pools have been ghost towns. You should not have an issue with overcrowding at the DLH pool.

You can bring your own non alcoholic drinks as long as they are not in glass containers. The cabanas are kind of close together so I don't think dragging over an extra lounge chair will work.

We did a cabana 2 years ago and absolutely loved it! I was considering doing it again since we're staying at the Grand next week and so far the weather is looking warm. There is no room to drag another lounger as PP said they are pretty close together. The cabana next to us last time had a birthday party going on and there were tons of people coming in and out, but it didn't affect us. There was plenty of seating (my brother and sister in law came and visited for awhile....so 6 of us were comfortable. I believe my husband tipped each time they brought drinks, but I really can't remember, we were having too much fun!

When will you be at Disneyland? It has been pretty cold here this spring so far. The pools have been ghost towns. You should not have an issue with overcrowding at the DLH pool.

You can bring your own non alcoholic drinks as long as they are not in glass containers. The cabanas are kind of close together so I don't think dragging over an extra lounge chair will work.
It's supposed to reach the mid-80s by the end of this week.

Sorry to piggyback but how does one rent the cabana? Going this summer and would love a day at the pool.

Sorry to piggyback but how does one rent the cabana? Going this summer and would love a day at the pool.

In order to rent a cabana at the DLH, the "official" rules say you must be a guest either of the GCH or the DLH. However, there have been reports of PPH guests also being able to rent DLH cabanas. GCH guests can also rent a cabana at the GCH if that pool is open. Non DLR hotel guests cannot rent cabanas at DLR pools. You just call the GCH or the DLH directly and they'll arrange it for you.

OP, re: tipping -- two different ways and at least two different people to tip. First is your cabana host. They set the cabana up for you and should give you a "tour" of everything available in the cabana, etc. Supposedly they can also give you extra towels, etc. They'll give you a bill to sign before you leave and you can choose to add a tip. We've rented cabanas twice -- once I tipped and once the service was so bad that I didn't. I mean we saw our cabana host once and that was about an hour after our arrival time. The second person you tip is your server. They are the ones who bring you food, drinks, etc. They'll bring you a bill every time you order something. You can choose to pay it every time, or you can run a tab with a credit card. You tip them just like you do any other server when you pay.

There isn't room for other chairs, and they do have a rule that no more than 6 people are supposed to be in a cabana. Not sure how much that's enforced, though. There's plenty of room for 6 people. There are two sofas inside the cabana, plus two lounge chairs outside. The cabanas have sides that can be tied up or left down depending on how much sun/shade you want. You can definitely bring your own stuff, non-alcoholic. It's great having the fridge and the safe!!

In order to rent a cabana at the DLH, the "official" rules say you must be a guest either of the GCH or the DLH. However, there have been reports of PPH guests also being able to rent DLH cabanas. GCH guests can also rent a cabana at the GCH if that pool is open. Non DLR hotel guests cannot rent cabanas at DLR pools. You just call the GCH or the DLH directly and they'll arrange it for you.

OP, re: tipping -- two different ways and at least two different people to tip. First is your cabana host. They set the cabana up for you and should give you a "tour" of everything available in the cabana, etc. Supposedly they can also give you extra towels, etc. They'll give you a bill to sign before you leave and you can choose to add a tip. We've rented cabanas twice -- once I tipped and once the service was so bad that I didn't. I mean we saw our cabana host once and that was about an hour after our arrival time. The second person you tip is your server. They are the ones who bring you food, drinks, etc. They'll bring you a bill every time you order something. You can choose to pay it every time, or you can run a tab with a credit card. You tip them just like you do any other server when you pay.

There isn't room for other chairs, and they do have a rule that no more than 6 people are supposed to be in a cabana. Not sure how much that's enforced, though. There's plenty of room for 6 people. There are two sofas inside the cabana, plus two lounge chairs outside. The cabanas have sides that can be tied up or left down depending on how much sun/shade you want. You can definitely bring your own stuff, non-alcoholic. It's great having the fridge and the safe!!

Awesome this is our first stay at DLH so I'll have to call them. We don't get our reservation
information until like 15 days before so they may all be gone by then :(. It is during D23 and we booked through the expo so although I have a confirmation it isn't from Disney yet.

It's supposed to reach the mid-80s by the end of this week.

I wouldn't count on that. It will probably top out at 80, maybe. It's only going to be mid 70s next week. It is also VERY dry so it feels cooler than it is, especially when you are wet. Gorgeous weather for park touring but I think the pools will be fairly quiet. We have heated pools where we live (very close to DL) and my kids who love swimming say it's still too cold.

Thank you for the info! With regard to tipping host-what is appropriate? I imagine they just welcome you to the space-no issue with tipping to be customary but as our first time just really unaware proper amount.

Also, I notice you said nonalcoholic is ok to bring. What about alcoholic? We typically stay DVC in Florida and it is very common to bring your own beer/wine down to the pools. Is Cali different?

Now that you ask, I'm not totally 100% sure on that. It *seems like* we were told we couldn't bring our own alcohol in when we had a cabana, but you might double check. I do remember that we did not bring alcohol in, and we did have it in our room, so there must have been a reason for it. I'd suggest you check the DL website but I just did that and the link seems to be broken. I'm sure the hotel can tell you when you call for the reservation.

I'm not sure there is a proper amount for the cabana host. The customary 15-20% of the bill would be way too much IMO. I see tipping as something you do for service, and they provide hardly any service. I think we may have tipped our host $20 on our first visit. Normally I'm not a stingy tipper, but I just didn't see it with the cabana host. The servers were a different story.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter