DL vs. WDW rides

I would definitely move Space Mountain into the "better at DLR" category. Also, I noticed that Little Mermaid is missing from your list. This one usually has a short line, so I think it's totally worth it, and I would definitely put it above some of the other Pixar Pier rides on your list. Take a look at these rides (like Golden Zephyr or Silly Symphony Swings) as you walk around the pier. If they interest you, go for it. But be aware that they are more generic rides that you may find at any amusement park, so if waits are long then they are probably not worth it.

I would also recommend a "grand circle tour" of Disneyland on the Railroad. It's got some beautiful and interesting sights.

As others have mentioned, Nemo is a submarine ride at DLR. Very unique, but if you get claustrophobic then you will want to skip it. You are cramped in a small space underwater with other sweaty people. I think it's worth doing once, but once is enough. And not worth it if there's a long line.

I definitely suggest going on Indiana Jones. I've ridden both Dinosaur and Indy and did not realize at all that they have the same ride mechanics. The experiences are so different. Indy is one of my favorite rides at DLR, and the queue is something special.

Add Storybook Land Canal Boats to your list. It's unique and was one of Walt's favorite rides.

Take some time to soak in New Orleans Square. In my opinion this area has the best atmosphere in the park. It's unique to DLR. Perhaps grab lunch at one of the restaurants in the area.

Also Casey Jr Railroad! Goes through the same area as the Storybook Canal Boats, but different perspective and on a train instead of a boat, obviously. Go for the caboose if you want a slightly more intense ride :)

I have always been big on comparing and contrasting the rides at WDW vs. DLR, but I think most of hit has been covered here already. The big one is that Space Mountain at DL is totally different form the WDW one, however the Matterhorn Bobsleds are in fact quite similar to the WDW Space Mountain because they are built on the same ride system. The tracks are even similar which is why Matterhorn has two loading sides like Space. They're also both super rough and jerky, so expect that.

Pirates at DL is much longer and superior to the WDW one. It's really the same but has more scenes at the beginning and end, most of which are quite cool and really add to the narrative.

I still don't understand why when they built the Magic Kingdom they didn't improve on the rides that were already existing at DL. I'm sure they had more resources when they built the Florida park. The Magic Kingdom version of Pirates is a complete joke compared to its counterpart in California. I don't buy the high water table explanation that usually gets trotted out. It might cost a few more dollars to build the foundation walls in areas of high water tables but other than that there is no excuse.

I still don't understand why when they built the Magic Kingdom they didn't improve on the rides that were already existing at DL. I'm sure they had more resources when they built the Florida park. The Magic Kingdom version of Pirates is a complete joke compared to its counterpart in California. I don't buy the high water table explanation that usually gets trotted out. It might cost a few more dollars to build the foundation walls in areas of high water tables but other than that there is no excuse.

The real reason for POTC is that they never intended to have it at MK at all. After fan demand though, Disney decided to squeeze it in, but they didn't have enough space. I mean, could they have? Maybe, but really it was just a practical decision. The pad had probably been intended for something else. They did improve on other rides for MK, then of course improved more when some rides that were original to MK were put in DL.

Made some edits to your list;

Similar to WDW but better:
  • Indiana Jones (similar to DINOSAUR)
  • Mater's Junkyard Jamboree (Alien Swirling Saucers)
  • Pirates
  • It's a Small World
  • Space Mountain - side-by seating, audio effects in cars
  • Jungle Cruise - smaller, more intimate layout, allows skippers to stop @ the scenes to deliver punchlines. WDW boats go full-throttle and it is hard to hear the skippers, plus timing of jokes is off
  • Nemo - subs are better than the clamshell omnimover
  • Buzz - removable guns
Same as WDW
  • Haunted Mansion
  • BTMRR
  • Soarin
  • Star Wars rides
  • Toy Story Mania
Better at WDW:
  • Dumbo/Astro Orbiter/Spinner rides - Dumbo has a really cute cue where the kids can play while they wait - they don't have to stand in line
  • Splash Mountain - side-by-side seating, bigger ride
  • Peter Pan - better cue, bigger ride
  • Winnie the Pooh - the movement of the ride actually changes to mimic what you are seeing in the scenes, DL just rocks around
  • Guardians (???) ToT hallway blows away any of the Guardians effects (I do like the Guardian upgrade @ DCA though)

TPMvids has a great series about this topic on Youtube!

Last edited by a moderator:
We're going on vacation with my family to Newport Beach next June. My husband and I decided we'd try to sneak away for a day trip to DL/DCA. Me, being the eager beaver I am, am already trying to plan our DL part!

Since we're tagging along on a family vacation, we can't take more than one day at DL/DCA. So we're trying to get a plan of attack. We know we won't get anywhere near everything done, but our focus is more so on the things "different" from WDW. We go to WDW yearly, so we're trying to prioritize the differences and just focus on those.

That being said, I'm trying to come up with a few different categories to help us determine our plan. I'm trying to breakdown the rides into three groups: completely unique to DL, similar to WDW but better, and the same as WDW. So far this is what I have (based solely on google searching):

Completely unique to DL:
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Golden Zephyr
  • Goofy's Sky School
  • Grizzly River Run
  • Incredicoaster
  • Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind
  • Luigi's Rollickin Roadsters
  • Matterhorn
  • Monster's Inc
  • Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
  • Pinocchio's Daring Journey
  • Pixar Pal-Around
  • Radiator Springs Racers
  • Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
  • Silly Symphony Swings
  • Snow White's Scary Adventure
  • Pirates
  • It's a Small World
Same as WDW
  • Space Mountain
  • Guardians (???)
  • Haunted Mansion
  • Peter Pan
  • Winnie the Pooh
  • Buzz
  • BTMRR
  • Dumbo/Astro Orbiter/Spinner rides
  • Splash Mountain
  • Soarin
  • Nemo
  • Jungle Cruise
  • Star Wars rides
  • Toy Story Mania
Now, as I said, all of my information just came from google. Are there any glaring changes? Any rides that aren't on the list that shouldn't be missed? We're (obviously) trying to prioritize the first two categories, just because we'll have to miss rides given we only have one day for both parks. Basically we're just trying to get a "highest priority" ride list in order.

Haven’t read every reply, so forgive me if I’m repeating... I think pirates and space Mountain are better at Disneyland and I think splash is not nearly as good as the WDW version. I was so disappointed when I rode it. It doesn’t have the detail and you get soaked. I would look up and do all of the original rides for sure, plus Alice in wonderland. The roger rabbit ride is forgettable to say the least. Soarin is identical unless they are running Soarin over California, which they did this summer. Definitely worth doing if that’s the case. Skip Dumbo! Jungle cruise is better at DL, I personally prefer the dL version of Winnie the Pooh, buzz is better at DL, autopia is better. Sorry, I’m all over the place!

Last edited:
Ok, is this what you see in Tomorrowland between Astro orbiter and the snack place? My husband swears that looks like it used to be part of the peoplemover! 😂

Yup! The People Mover track in Disneyland is still up. It's embedded into so much of the Tomorrowland architecture that they can't really just take it down.

So it sits there, quietly mocking us...

Last edited:
I can't believe nobody has brought this up yet, but Splash Mountain at DL vs WDW is very different. We live in Orlando so obviously have been on Splash here many times. You get splashed, your shirt might get a little wet. 4 years ago during my first ever trip to DL, we went on Splash and we were soaking wet like we jumped in the lake. In fact, we had to walk back to the hotel to change because we were soaked from the waist down, including our soaking wet socks and shoes. That has never happened at WDW. We weren't too happy!

Small World is far superior at DL compared to WDW. The fact that the ride is partly outdoors is so quaint and charming. It's always a must do for us there. At WDW I can take or leave it.

The last thing I will say is that the atmosphere at DL vs WDW is so different. Characters just roam around and are able to take pictures with little to no lines. Even Mickey himself! That is unheard of at WDW. There would be a mob scene if Magic Kingdom opened and Mickey was standing there greeting people, yet I've seen this happen multiple times at DL.

I adore both sets of parks for different reasons, but there are some things that they each have over on each other!

... As others have mentioned, Nemo is a submarine ride at DLR. Very unique, but if you get claustrophobic then you will want to skip it. You are cramped in a small space underwater with other sweaty people. I think it's worth doing once, but once is enough. And not worth it if there's a long line...
If claustrophobia is an issue, you can use the alternative viewing room for Nemo. Just ask a CM in front of the ride. The AV room is off to the right side, toward Autopia. There usually isn't a line. You will see what you would see from the sub windows on a small screen and hear the sub audio. The AV room works very well for anyone who wants to ride the subs, but can't for whatever reason.

I know that Savi's is VERY expensive just for one person, let alone for a family....but the idea of an adult trying to figure out what to do with the kids while HE gets to build his own lightsaber while they don't is pretty hilarious to me.

I know that Savi's is VERY expensive just for one person, let alone for a family....but the idea of an adult trying to figure out what to do with the kids while HE gets to build his own lightsaber while they don't is pretty hilarious to me.

DH built his own droid while DS watched and amazingly I did not have to figure out what to do with him. Some kids don't want to participate and would rather watch. DS was even given the option to build his own and chose not to. I am pretty sure this would have held true for Savi's as well.

We're going on vacation with my family to Newport Beach next June. My husband and I decided we'd try to sneak away for a day trip to DL/DCA. Me, being the eager beaver I am, am already trying to plan our DL part!

Since we're tagging along on a family vacation, we can't take more than one day at DL/DCA. So we're trying to get a plan of attack. We know we won't get anywhere near everything done, but our focus is more so on the things "different" from WDW. We go to WDW yearly, so we're trying to prioritize the differences and just focus on those.

That being said, I'm trying to come up with a few different categories to help us determine our plan. I'm trying to breakdown the rides into three groups: completely unique to DL, similar to WDW but better, and the same as WDW. So far this is what I have (based solely on google searching):

Completely unique to DL:
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Golden Zephyr
  • Goofy's Sky School
  • Grizzly River Run
  • Incredicoaster
  • Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind
  • Luigi's Rollickin Roadsters
  • Matterhorn
  • Monster's Inc
  • Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
  • Pinocchio's Daring Journey
  • Pixar Pal-Around
  • Radiator Springs Racers
  • Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
  • Silly Symphony Swings
  • Snow White's Scary Adventure
  • Pirates
  • It's a Small World
Same as WDW
  • Space Mountain
  • Guardians (???)
  • Haunted Mansion
  • Peter Pan
  • Winnie the Pooh
  • Buzz
  • BTMRR
  • Splash Mountain
  • Soarin
  • Nemo
  • Jungle Cruise
  • Star Wars rides
  • Toy Story Mania
Now, as I said, all of my information just came from google. Are there any glaring changes? Any rides that aren't on the list that shouldn't be missed? We're (obviously) trying to prioritize the first two categories, just because we'll have to miss rides given we only have one day for both parks. Basically we're just trying to get a "highest priority" ride list in order.
Space Mtn quite different, also Guardians, theming totally different. Many things are different versions. Haunted Mansion, BTMRR,Splash and Jungle Cruise have some different elements.
It would be a hard decision for me! For this part of List I’d take Space Mtn and Guardians off The Same as WDW list. And if you’re lucky Space Mtn will be Hyperspace Mtn while you’re there. Not to be missed!

Yup! The People Mover track in Disneyland is still up. It's embedded into so much of the Tomorrowland architecture that they can't really just taken it down.

So it sits there, quietly mocking us...

Ha. I will tell him! Our first trip he kept suggesting we ride the People Mover, and I’m like “babe. There isn’t a PM at Disneyland!” 😂

Why did they close it?

Same as WDW
  • Space Mountain
  • Guardians (???)
  • Haunted Mansion
  • Peter Pan
  • Winnie the Pooh
  • Buzz
  • Splash Mountain
  • Soarin
  • Nemo
  • Jungle Cruise

Nooooo.

Space Mountain at WDW is like Matterhorn. Space at DL is awesome and smooth and has different seating and doesn’t bruise you. Only the theme is the same.

Guardians is at DCA. DHS has tower of terror. Yes the up and down part is the same, but the whole theme is now different. And even when GotG was TOT it was still different enough to ride both.

HM different line different stuff. Theme is the same but worth the ride.

I find Pan at DL to be different enough.

pooh is different.

Buzz is different enough.

Is Astro orbiter even at WDW?

Splash is different, and they say better at MK.

Isn’t Soarin’ in DCA back to the original version?

There is nothing like DL’s Nemo at WDW.

Jungle Cruise is very different imo.

Personally, I think "Guardians" is huge step down from Tower of Terror, but YMMV.

Same. But I don’t enjoy the movie at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter