DL Vet Going to DW

nutshell

Oh, Disney!
Hello! I'll be going to Disney World next summer. What are the must hit attractions for a DL vet? It's me, my wife, and two teenagers.

I posted here because I really want the DL group' perspective.

Thanks!

Hello! I'll be going to Disney World next summer. What are the must hit attractions for a DL vet? It's me, my wife, and two teenagers.

I posted here because I really want the DL group' perspective.

Thanks!
How many days will you have?

First, as a DLR vet myself I understand your question. But it is a DLR type of question. A better question (IMO) for WDW is "What are the things I should try and do at WDW?"

With that, here are some suggestions...

• Make sure to dine at some of the super cool WDW restaurants. There are lots but ones I recommend for a DLR vet are: Be Our Guest, Sci-Fi Dine-In and just about anything in Epcot World Showcase.
  • Shows in Parks - IMO DLR has better top shows but ones at WDW really worth seeing are Illuminations, the new Happily Ever After fireworks show and Festival of the Lion King
  • Shows outside Parks - Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue dinner show is a hoot and worth seeing
  • Rides - Rockin Rollercoaster, Expedition Everest, Flight of Passage, Philharmagic and Seven Dwarves Mine Train would be tops for a DLR vet IMO
  • Epcot World Showcase - take some time to walk around here and take in some of the many shows such as Voices of Liberty (I never miss them)
  • Special things outside the parks - a Disney movie under the stars at Fort Wilderness or at many of the other hotels, Boardwalk at night
  • Pace - IMO you are asking for trouble if you power out at WDW for more than 3 days in a row. Schedule some downtime at hotels or something every 3rd or 4th day
  • Learn to use My Disney Experience and FP+
  • Make dining reservations as soon possible
:wizard:

Last edited:
Understand that unless you plan to stay a very long time, you will not be able to see/do everything. Plan and prioritize.

There is a guide somebody has written, did you see that?

As for the question, kind of depends. FoP for sure as that ride is amazing. Seven Dwarves Mine Cart since its not at DL. As well as the other rides not st DL. But we had fun riding the rides that are at DL and just checking out the differences. Also the stuff that used to be at DL but is. O longer there that we miss. Country Bears brought back such nostalgic memories from my childhood. And of course the original tower of terror is amazing for Twilight Zone fans like me.(GotG is cool, but I don't care for the theming, kind of one and done for me)

WDW is much bigger than DLR and I've found that it requires a lot more planning and research. It's harder to be spontaneous at WDW (it's possible, but it always seems harder and more iffy to me). Some important questions: how many days will you be at WDW? What kinds of attractions do you and your family like? Are you interested in shows?

In general, WDW and DLR have very few attractions that are carbon copies in both resorts, but there are a number that bear the same name. Some versions are better at DLR, some better at WDW, and some are equally good. In general, I think WDW has better queues (also, more are indoors because the weather in FL is wet a lot more of the time). Some of my family's favorite attractions include: the Haunted Mansion, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Space Mountain, Tomorrowland Transit Authority (Peoplemover), Mickey's PhilharMagic, Journey into Imagination with Figment (just because it has Figment), the American Adventure, Kilimanjaro Safari, Expedition Everest, and TSMM.

In terms of the shows, we like: fireworks at the MK (any of the shows), IllumiNations, and Festival of the Lion King. (Disclaimer: I have not yet seen Rivers of Light, but that looks pretty good.)

As mentioned, you'll need to start thinking about dining (table service) pretty soon. ADRs open up 180-days in advance and the popular ones fill up pretty quickly. If something is fully booked on the 180-day mark, it probably means the folks with early access (those staying onsite) already filled up the restaurant (aside from the third party locations in Disney Springs, the restaurants do not hold out some of their tables for walk-ups). It's still worth checking because you never know when someone will cancel. Overall, dining in WDW is much more difficult than it is at DLR. Most CS locations are just like those in DLR (you walk up, place your order and the wait depends on the length of the line); the one exception is Be Our Guest (at breakfast and lunch) that requires/strongly recommends an ADR.

The other thing you'll want to familiarize yourself with is My Disney Experience (MDE) and FP+. WDW relies much more heavily on their app. FP+ is similar in some ways to FP at DLR, but also very different. The FP+ thread up on the WDW board is pretty helpful and worth a look.

The only attractions that are actually better at WDW in my opinion ARE.. Splash Mountain (longer)...Haunted Mansion..(flip if the coin,but I like the Gothic Show Building.. and an extra scene...I prefer DL and I was born and raised at WDW...I think that DL has aged so well and retains its Mystique... where as WDW became more and more of a blatant money grab which is why I stopped going... Bottom line is you will have a great time ... Enjoy!!

I hope you have at least a week there. That way you have a day at each park and then a few more days to hit the stuff you really liked. Here's a listing by park of things you need to do.

MK: Hall of Presidents (like Lincoln but bigger), 7 Dwarves Mine Train, Splash Mt (definitely better), Space Mt (so you can appreciate DL version), Laugh Floor, and Liberty Tree Tavern for a Christmas dinner.

Epcot: Illuminations (if you miss this, you miss everything), Voices of Liberty, take time to check out each country in World Showcase, Mission:Space, and you can't miss Spaceship Earth. This park is really unique so take your time.

Hollywood Studios: Tower of Terror (totally amazing), Rockin' Rollercoaster (like Screamin', but indoors and faster), Muppets 3D (since we don't have it anymore), Beauty & the Beast Live, Fantasmic! (just to experience it with an actual seat!).

Animal Kingdom: Kilimanjaro Safari (we do this 2 or 3 times each day we go), Expedition Everest (Matterhorn on Mark McGwire-level steroids), Nemo: The Musical, Festival of the Lion King, Avatar (havent' done it myself but it looks amazing), and enjoy the animal trails.

I hope you have at least a week there. That way you have a day at each park and then a few more days to hit the stuff you really liked. Here's a listing by park of things you need to do.

MK: Hall of Presidents (like Lincoln but bigger), 7 Dwarves Mine Train, Splash Mt (definitely better), Space Mt (so you can appreciate DL version), Laugh Floor, and Liberty Tree Tavern for a Christmas dinner.

Hollywood Studios: Tower of Terror (totally amazing), Rockin' Rollercoaster (like Screamin', but indoors and faster), Muppets 3D (since we don't have it anymore), Beauty & the Beast Live, Fantasmic! (just to experience it with an actual seat!).

I'm here from the perspective of someone who grew up going to WDW (and also a former Florida resident) but now that I live in Texas we go to DLR. WDW is much larger and requires a LOT more planning that DL. The FP and dining reservation systems work differently so definitely educate yourself. Also, if you have not been to Florida in the summer be prepared for the weather! It will rain, almost daily, and the humidity is like being in a sauna. I live in Houston and have also been to California in the summer and yeah, it's not the heat, it's the humidity that gets you. Make sure to PRE-hidrate before you travel.

As for the above recs - MK Hall of Presidents is still closed with no opening date in mind. Whenever there is an election it is closed to install the new president. This time around it has taken way longer to re-open and may, or may not, be re-opened when you go in the summer. As for Fantasmic!, 99.99% of the people in the DIS forums will tell you that the DL version is way better than the DW version. (The DL show was closed the last two times were visited so I can't say but that's the word around the DIS boards.)

And last, but not least, enjoy WDW as its own destination and treat it like watching a movie based on a book - just because it doesn't follow the plot word by word, it doesn't make it a bad movie.

HTH!

we love WDW, I would say our favorite things are the lion king show, beauty and the beast show, rockin roller coaster, the animal kingdom safari and the beer walk around epcot. Water parks are also very good. More west coast people should try it, its amazing. Stay at a Disney resort (any level is fine) as long as possible and take the busses.

Thanks everyone! We only have theee days in the parks then we hit a Disney Cruise. I'm thinking MK, AK, and Epcot. That means skipping Hollywood Studios. Everest and Flight of Passage are at the top of our list. How's the Frozen ride at Epcot?

I went last year for the first time for a very brief trip, one day MK, one day AK. It was so much more hectic and difficult than DL, but to be fair I didn't do the planning I should have. I literally bought tickets at the gate and had no fast passes pre-reserved. This was because I wasn't positive I was going until the day of. We went on just a few rides in each park as a result.

Anyway, I definitely advise planning the crap out of your trip and getting all your reservations as soon as they open. I would have loved to try a table service restaurant in one of the parks but you could not get same day admittance. The quick serve restaurants we ate at were really blah compared to DL's options... lots of hamburgers, fries and chicken nuggets.

At AK, the Expedition Everest ride was awesome and we also enjoyed the Safari. Those were the only rides we went on in that park other than a dinosaur kiddie ride (can't remember the name, similar to Dumbo). In MK we rode the carousel, Dumbo, Little Mermaid and Pirates of the Caribbean. The DL version of pirates is much better but we still enjoyed it. Little Mermaid seemed pretty similar to DCA's version if not identical. As you can see seven rides in two park days... not so great! I would love to go back and spend a whole week, stay onsite and plan everything to a T. We stayed off site and it took FOREVER to get to and from the parks on the free buses.

Thanks everyone! We only have theee days in the parks then we hit a Disney Cruise. I'm thinking MK, AK, and Epcot. That means skipping Hollywood Studios. Everest and Flight of Passage are at the top of our list. How's the Frozen ride at Epcot?
Frozen at Epcot is all the rage with super long lines. It is nothing special to do unless you have big Frozen fans in your group. If I had only one day at Epcot I would skip it to focus on other things.

Flight of Passage is an incredible and unique ride. I rode it twice on opening weekend over Memorial Day. You have to plan to get FPs at the 60 day mark if you are staying at a Disney hotel - but even then with only a three day trip your chances are slim. Most likely you will need to do FOP at rope drop to avoid a super long line (like 3-4 hours).

If it were me and I had to to rope drop to see FOP I would plan AK for a non-EMH morning and arrive one hour early to the gate. Then head straight to FOP.

we have done the cruise combo, just an awesome trip. The problem is your teenagers will want to repeat this trip like forever. With magic bands you can hit all the good rides pretty easily

Frozen at Epcot is all the rage with super long lines. It is nothing special to do unless you have big Frozen fans in your group. If I had only one day at Epcot I would skip it to focus on other things.

Flight of Passage is an incredible and unique ride. I rode it twice on opening weekend over Memorial Day. You have to plan to get FPs at the 60 day mark if you are staying at a Disney hotel - but even then with only a three day trip your chances are slim. Most likely you will need to do FOP at rope drop to avoid a super long line (like 3-4 hours).

If it were me and I had to to rope drop to see FOP I would plan AK for a non-EMH morning and arrive one hour early to the gate. Then head straight to FOP.

I totally agree with this! The ride is charming and has some cool effects, but unless you can snag a FP I wouldn't spend the time in line. We never ride it without a FP.

As most others have said, WDW is much larger and requires much more planning. At the very least make sure you know about FastPass +, Magic Bands, and make sure to book your ADRs as soon as you can! We are WDW vets and just recently have been able to visit DLR. Personally, I like DLR better, but Epcot is my all time favorite park. Epcot is huge, and while it isn't all about rides, it's a very unique and immersive park. Spaceship Earth is one of my favorites, Soarin' is another, but except for it being in a different building, it's the same as CA. Our favorite meal is in Epcot - Garden Grill - it's a character meal with Chip, Dale, Pluto & Mickey and the food is amazing!

As far as MK rides vs. DLR - for duplicates I prefer MK's version of Splash, but I think the other mountains are better in DLR. Space is single file as opposed to side by side, so that's different. Mine train is a lot of fun, and we really enjoy Mickey's Philharmagic. Happily Ever After (fireworks) is not to be missed, and Once Upon a Time is adorable. I hope you have a great time!

I did WDW for the 1st time last year, I was by myself ( obviously really helped keep good pace ), and was able to do the 4 parks in 2 days. Got to MK at opening, stayed until around 4, then over to Epcot until close. Day 2 was opening at AK, and just a couple hours there - only need to hit the Safari and Everest ( & now maybe Pandora ). Rest of day at DHS - which I enjoyed a lot more than I thought I would.
So I recommend trying to fit in 2 parks in 1 day ( maybe Epcot & AK ), re: specific not-to-miss rides; I really liked comparing similar rides - Pirates ( my favorite @ DLR ), etc and made sure to get on the best that were only in WDW - 7 Dwarves, Epcot ( test track was my favorite ), and AKs Everest - a blast!

I did WDW for the 1st time last year, I was by myself ( obviously really helped keep good pace ), and was able to do the 4 parks in 2 days. Got to MK at opening, stayed until around 4, then over to Epcot until close. Day 2 was opening at AK, and just a couple hours there - only need to hit the Safari and Everest ( & now maybe Pandora ). Rest of day at DHS - which I enjoyed a lot more than I thought I would.
So I recommend trying to fit in 2 parks in 1 day ( maybe Epcot & AK ), re: specific not-to-miss rides; I really liked comparing similar rides - Pirates ( my favorite @ DLR ), etc and made sure to get on the best that were only in WDW - 7 Dwarves, Epcot ( test track was my favorite ), and AKs Everest - a blast!

I would add a caution to this. I am first and foremost a DLR vet. A common DLR mindset is that rides are everything. By and large WDW vets find this a strange mindset and do not see WDW the same way.

A common WDW mindset is the integrated experience is everything. Rides, yes of course. But also shows, characters, food and special experiences of which there are tons at WDW. Fireworks cruises, movies at the resorts under the stars, boat rentals, dinner shows (e.g., Hoop-Dee-Do Revue), dining at the hotels and Disney Springs, to name a few.

Someone who "does" WDW in 2 days IMO it is able to only hit the top highlights of the many rides at WDW. And that is all. No shows. Little chance for dining. No characters. No special experiences.

It is kind of like someone coming into DLR and saying they were able to "do DLR" in one day. Really? World of Color, Fantasmic, Paint the Night Parade (coming back in April 2018), fireworks, Frozen stage show, Mickey and The Magical Map? All in one day? Visited any characters? Ate at Blue Bayou or any of the DLR restaurants? Visited DTD?

OP, it really depends on what you want to focus on. If you want rides, rides, rides, then you will only experience a portion of them no matter how hard you try over 2-3 days. But you can certainly do that and have fun just like one might at DLR. I would strongly suggest you work in some shows into WDW. Most of us here in this thread agree Illuminations and Festival of the Lion King are winners. The new Happily Ever After fireworks show at MK is also a huge winner. I saw it right after it opened in May. Rivers of Light I have seen twice and I would say it is worth it if you have more days than 3 (maybe on a 7+ day trip). So I suggest you skip that.

And dine somewhere special. WDW really outshines DLR in their themed dining. Be Our Guest at MK is a huge winner but hard to get a reservation. So plan in advance.

Good luck and have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter