DL/DCA coasters and thrill rides, ranked for scary-ness

Kitty-chan

Cheese is always the answer
Hi all,

Usually when I'm at DLR or WDW, I have DS with me (and no other adult), and he hates roller coasters and thrill rides. So, no TOT for me! But this time around, I'm going to have a full day all by my self in the parks, plus a couple hours here and there over the course of the vacation. So, I want to get re-aquainted with roller coasters, and gradually work my way up the scary-ness scale.

How would you rank the DL and DCA roller coasters and thrill rides, from least to most scary? Please help me plan how to work my way up.

Edit: I should probably have listed the rides I think fall into this category (feel free to add others if you consider them thrills). . .
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
  • Indiana Jones™ Adventure
  • Matterhorn Bobsleds
  • Space Mountain
  • Splash Mountain
  • Gadget Go Coaster
  • Star Tours
  • Grizzly River Run
  • Maliboomer
  • Mulholland Madness
  • Soarin' Over California
  • The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
  • California Screamin'

(Note: list was edited to add California Screamin', since I missed it at first.)

I don't think any of the rides at DLR are scary, but this is coming from a thrill-ride junkie (as it says in my tag). All the coasters are pretty tame (with CA Screamin' taking the honors as the most intense). Actually, Disney doesn't call them roller coasters, but roller coaster-type rides.

Tower of Terror is the only ride I've ever screamed on (at a Disney park) because it was remotely scary, but that's more from suprise and not actually being scared. I absolutely love it.

Gadget is a kiddie coaster--very small seats--2 adults can't fit.
Muholland Madness is not a comfortable ride--the turns are tight and flat, causing lots of lateral Gs. I'd rather have Screamin's verticle Gs any day.

Soarin' is extremely gentle (not a roller coaster)--it's only a thrill ride if you're afraid of heights. I guess the sensations are thrilling, but in more of a sensory way, not an intense way.

Matterhorn is rough, jerky, and bumpy. No big drops, but it bounces you around a lot.

Maliboomer--I used to enjoy this ride, but TOT made it boring for me.

Space Mountain would be the one to start with. It's very smooth. Then Big Thunder. The others aren't roller coasters.

Splash Mountain and Grizzly are water rides. Both do have drops (Splash having some pretty big ones).

Indiana Jones is a car ride--bumpy, but fun.

Star Tours is a simulator ride.

Two adults can fit in gadget my boyfriend and I rode it last trip! I am pretty skinny but he has quite a bit of muscle on him! We fit fine although it really wasn't anything to write home about it was pretty tame.

I dont think any rides are scary at DL/DCA. They are all pretty tame but then I love thrill rides.

I'll do a rating of 1-10 for each. 1 being the least scary, and 10 - the most.

* Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - 5 - Really nothing to worry about, there are no big drops or such, just mainly sharp-ish turns and winding tracks.

* Indiana Jones™ Adventure - 4 - More fun than scary! It's not really a traditional roller coaster, either. The ride is quite bumpy, but once again...no big drops or sharp turns.

* Matterhorn Bobsleds - 5 - many young children ride this no problem. Mainly a series of winding turns, with no real drops. Try the Fantasyland side (right) first, before doing the Tomorrowland side (left) if you're worried.

* Space Mountain - 7 - I haven't been on it since the update, so I only know the older version...I liked it. I don't remember any drops, but it was fun.

* Splash Mountain - 4 - FUN! There are only a few drops that are big, but they're really a hoot. Do it.

* Gadget Go Coaster - 0 - Not at all scary...merely a very short kiddie coaster.

* Star Tours - 7 - I don't remember this being too scary, but avoid it if you get motion sickness.

* Grizzly River Run - 5 - HOOT! Quite fun...only one big-ish drop. fun fun.

* Maliboomer - 7 - Scary if you don't like height...otherwise it's fine.

* Mulholland Madness - 3 - not scary...but jerky. many sharp turns, and some small drops.

* Soarin' Over California - 4 - Simulator ride. You stay still. It's fine.

* The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror - 8.5 - REALLY fun. Same idea as the Maliboomer, but themed. Don't pass it up.

Um, I think you got CA Screamin' and Soarin' mixed up--Soarin' is a simulator, not a roller coaster.

Soarin' could be a little nervracking if you are prone to air sickness.

Personally though, it's my favorite ride.

Thanks everybody, this is great stuff! I can't wait to try out a few rides next month. I've actually been on Soarin', BTMRR, Matterhorn, and IJ (during another rare DS-free trip to DLR), so seeing how people rank those by comparison to others is very helpful.

I'm afraid of heights, so I'll probably stay away from Maliboomer, but TOT might be hard to resist, with its great theming!

(I just noticed that I didn't list California Screamin'; I'd been copy/pasting the list from the DL web site, and somehow managed to miss that one line, which wasn't intentional.)

Most-Least

1.The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
2.Indiana Jones™ Adventure
3.Space Mountain
4.Maliboomer
5.Matterhorn Bobsleds
6.Mulholland Madness
7.Splash Mountain
8.Star Tours
9.Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
10.Grizzly River Run
11.Soarin' Over California
12.Gadget Go Coaster

We just got back and the ride that surprised me the most for the scariness factor was the Sun Wheel! I am a thrill ride fanatic and this one freaked me out. I love the drops and rocketing up of ToT amd Maliboomer. I could hardly get enough of Space Mountain and California Screamin' but I had NO interest in riding the Wheel again nor did any of my kids(18,17,14,11,8,and 3). I'm sure it was partly because we didn't expect a "Ferris wheel" to have a thrill factor.

I'm a total scaredy cat, but I will go on Soarin' no problem. I recently went on Star Tours but it made me sick (literally) so won't be doing that again. But I wouldn't say it's scary.

I will absolutely NOT go on Tower of Terror, Maliboomer, or California Screamin. I am planning on trying Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, and Matterhorn on my next trip.

Won't do Space Mountain or Mulholland Madness. I've never been on Indiana Jones and am considering trying it.

My DD4 just LOVES TOT and my DS6 loves Star Tours so they can't be that bad....

JULIE

ShariB said:
We just got back and the ride that surprised me the most for the scariness factor was the Sun Wheel! I am a thrill ride fanatic and this one freaked me out. I love the drops and rocketing up of ToT amd Maliboomer. I could hardly get enough of Space Mountain and California Screamin' but I had NO interest in riding the Wheel again nor did any of my kids(18,17,14,11,8,and 3). I'm sure it was partly because we didn't expect a "Ferris wheel" to have a thrill factor.
I'm glad you said that! I keep waffling about whether I want to ride the Sun Wheel. On the one hand, I hear it's got great views, despite being the world's largest rotating chicken coop. On the other hand, it's so darn high up, and I read somewhere (I think in the Unofficial Guide) that it can be really scary when the cars shift back and forth.

Like some of the others I love coasters and wouldn't consider anything at DL/DCA too intense.
Just depends on what gets to you though.

I don't much like the Sun Wheel, but I think for the same reason I don't like ferris wheels in general... just too darn much time spent stopping and starting with the loading/unloading process.
If I could just hop on and let it rip and then hop off I think it would be great.
(but only in one of the swinging cars) ;)
btw:
You can get one of the stationary cars if you don't like the idea of swinging back and forth and still get the great views. There are seperate lines.

My DH is a ride wimp and for the most part avoids Screamin' (has been on it a time or two, but certainly never joins us when we try and break the family most times in a row record) and he has only been on TT once and probably will never go again. Don't think there is any chance of getting him on Maliboomer either. :rolleyes:

On the other hand DS 10 holds the family record for Screamin'... the child owns that loop. :thumbsup2 It's his favorite Disney ride.
But he is just like his dad when it comes to drops. No TT or maliboomer for him.

I think they both avoid the Sun Wheel too.

DD 7 is her mommies girl and rides everything (although Indiana Jones is not her favorite... but only because of the eww factor in a couple of places)

Have a great time at DL!

I don't know about you all, but matterhorn is not kind to my rump!:rotfl: Especially towards the end when we hit small bumps! Ouch! It's still fun though and I like to see my family membes reactions when the abominable snowman roars! :) I wish they would bring WDW's matterhorn to DL! It looks so much fun!

BTW, Mullholland Madness gives me whiplash! My bf is afraid of heights and freaked out during the sharp turns at the top! :teeth:

My personal list including Sun Wheel (keeping in mind that I've ridden all of the rides at DL dozens of times, which lessens their scare factor):

Most-Least

1. Maliboomer (the first time I cussed in front of my DS was on this ride; I feel much more vulnerable in the seats just hanging out there than I do in the ToT elevator)
2. Sun Wheel moving cars (I've only done it once though)
3. The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
4. Screamin'
5. Space Mtn
6. Mulholland Madness (a pretty tame ride, except the corners get me a bit)
7. Grizzly River Run (fear of getting really soaked and that the water will be cold)
8. Splash (love the big drop, but still there's that fear of getting soaked)
9. Indiana Jones™ Adventure (that big ball just might bop me one of these times)
10. Big Thunder Mountain (a little nerve wracking since that incident a few years back)
11. Matterhorn Bobsleds
12. Sun Wheel, stationary cars
14. Star Tours (rough, but not scary)
15. Gadget's Go Coaster

Now in order of fun factor, that's a different story...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter