DL 50th Anniversary?

Cheryl N. WI

DIS Veteran
It is official, we (myself, DH and DD will be 12 at the time) are coming to southern CA next June (2006)!!!!! The plane tickets are bought, I got confirmation from Marriott that we were able to do a timeshare trade (we are new owners at Marriott Horizons in Orlando) into the Marriott Desert Springs Villas in Palm Desert for the week of June 10-17 and I just booked us at Disneys Grand CA for 4 nights using our DVC points and then we will end with a few days in San Diego. We were to DL in June of 2003 and loved it and I am sooooo very excited to be coming back! Now part of the fun starts; hanging out here at the Disneyland board trying to learn as much about what may have changed since 2003 from all the great info posted here. To me part of the fun of our Disney trips is the research and planning before!

A question I did come up with already is will the 50th anniversary celebration still be going on in June and if so what kind of "new" things do they have for this? I'm sure there must be a lot going on for this celebration because there was quite a bit going on at WDW in conjunction with this when we were there this summer!

Cheryl

Some of the new things that I can think of are the fireworks, the refurbushed Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, and "Disneyland: The First 50 Years". The Pirates refurbishment is due to be finished on June 16, possibly adding Jack Sparrow and Barbosa to the attraction. I think Monsters Inc. at DCA is due to open in June also. We just got back a few days ago and I am thinking about taking DS for a short mother/son trip in June to see the new things (so I am going to wait until I know for sure when they will open) and let him ride Splash Mountain as many times as he wants, since he didn't get enough this trip.

Actually, Monsters Inc is due early next year. I think previews will be starting in January if not earlier.

And by next summer, the Nighttime version of Space Mountain (Rock-it Mountain) will be running. So you'll have to ride it at least twice. The Jungle Cruise was re-furbished (with pirannah!) for the 50th, and is cooler than it has been in years. The subs will still be down (I think they open in 2007).

Don't forget to look for the hidden 50's. My son and I had a blast looking for them all. I think we managed to find almost all of them.

Cheryl---Noticed your location. I graduated from Muskego High.

Wow it sounds like we'll get to see some great new things! Do I remember right reading that they have some great new fireworks? Also what is Monsters, Inc? Is it a new ride or show?

FanOfStitch What a "small world". Where in WI do you live now? I love what you have as your location, I am always telling friends and family that I want to move to FL and work at WDW; hopefully that will happen when I retire from my "real job" if not sooner than that. I also noticed you stayed at the Grand California. Did you like it? Last time we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel so this time we thought we'd try the Grand California. We booked the theme park view so it is using up alot more points than if we would have gone to DLH but we really wanted to try the GC and my DD is really excited to be styaing there (so am I ;) )

Cheryl

Cheryl N. WI said:
Wow it sounds like we'll get to see some great new things! Do I remember right reading that they have some great new fireworks? Also what is Monsters, Inc? Is it a new ride or show?

FanOfStitch What a "small world". Where in WI do you live now? I love what you have as your location, I am always telling friends and family that I want to move to FL and work at WDW; hopefully that will happen when I retire from my "real job" if not sooner than that. I also noticed you stayed at the Grand California. Did you like it? Last time we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel so this time we thought we'd try the Grand California. We booked the theme park view so it is using up alot more points than if we would have gone to DLH but we really wanted to try the GC and my DD is really excited to be styaing there (so am I ;) )

Cheryl
The new 50th fireworks are awesome. I'll post this because I know that I'm not the only one who did it, but I cried when I saw them the first time. Monsters Inc, is a new ride. From what we saw, it looks as though it's going to be a mini roller coaster of some type. But we could only see little bits through the openings in the walls.

I now live in Racine. I am looking for a job in FL. I would love to live down there. Eventually, I am looking to work for Disney too. I loved the GC. Wait 'til you see the lobby for the first time. Just spectacular. We had a Downtown Disney view. When looking out of our hotel balcony, we looked directly at Basin. It was neat because if we were in our hotel room, we could see the fireworks every night. The entrance to DCA is great. No waiting at all. It worked out great on the really hot days because you get into DCA right by Grizzly River Rapids. Enter the park, get your fastpasses and then go do what you want. Make sure you have your hotel key as they did check for them when I was there. I'm sure you'll love the hotel. Have fun!! :Pinkbounc

I cried too! It was such a beautiful and all encompassing Disney experience, but I was really thinging about what a blessing it was that I was able to be there at all!

I thought I read somewhere on these boards that the 50th celebration was running through May 2006. Could have just been a bad memory on my part though... :crazy:

The 50th is an 18 month long celebration. However, no one seems to know if it ending in Sept or Oct of next year.

Oh good :teeth: at least we'll be able to partake in the 50th celebration because we're going in June!!!! I'm sure I'll probaly cry when I see the fireworks too, there are a lot of things at WDW that bring a tear to my eye. I am getting more and more excited about staying at the GC even though it is "costing" us so many DVC points, hey that's what we bought them for right. I'll probably get all misty eyed when we first check in there too.

FanOfStitch good luck with finding a job in FL!!!!

Cheryl

I'm bumping this up because I'd like to know if they will continue to do the same fireworks, 50th parade and Block Party thru the entire 18 months?

My kids are dying to see these and we aren't going until March. Will we get to see them?

Any info appreciated! Thanks!

Kelly

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter