dissapointed in DD

dixie lolly

Who Dat!!
I jsut needed to share this because it totally took me by surprise. We are leaving in 7 days for a 10 day trip to disney. Well we were sitting at dinner a couple of nights ago and my dd12 told me that she does not want to go with us to disney. I was floored...first off who wouldnt want to go to disney and second this is a huge trip for us. i went all out because i had a little extra cash this year and planned a bigger trip for us. I am debating if i should make her go or let her stay home with her grandparents. on one hand i want her to be with th famly but on the other i dont want to hear her gripe all week cause she dosent want to be there. I have decided that you are danged if you do and danged if you dont. Thanks for listening.
:confused3 :sad2: :mad: :confused:

My rules for that, is as long as you're under my roof and I'm footing the bills, its my rules. No way would I consider letting a 12 year old stay home because they want to. Anyho, I know of no child who wouldn't die for a Disney vacation. Others is worse positions pray for a chance to go to WDW, she should be glad to have health and a wonderful family to be able to go to Disney.

Maybe considering taking a fiend along, someone to hang with if she's an only child, if she has brothers or sisters, no friends needed, its family time, kids are only around till around 18 and then college snagged them up and they are gone, been there done that, enjoy the short years you have with your children.

Sorry to hear this. Did you ask her why she dosen't want to go or what she dosen't like.

I also have a 12 year old daughter (she is an only child) and she is so crazy about Disney she has been talking about it every day since she knew I booked in in January for this August.

It is great that she loves it as much as her dad. I think I created a monster. Ask your dd if she would like to do something else, or she just dosen't want to vacation with her parents. I know every child goes through that where they think it's uncool to go on vacation, but 12 is a little too young for that.

Good Luck. Maybe when she gets there, she will catch the Disney Magic.

Have you seen the cruise commercial with the young girl that won't smile? She refuses to have fun? By the end of the commercial she is smiling and having a great time. :scratchin

Seems like if she gets her way now and she's only 12, she'll be running the house pretty soon. I would never be able to tell my Mother what I would or would not do at that age. Now I'm in my 30's and in my own house, and still would not tell her I was not going somewhere that she planned and spent her money on.

IMHO -FAMILY VACATION means "Family Vacation". It doesn'tmean Family minus one. She is twelve. Of course it would be fun to stay home, stay out, snow the grandparents and think you pulled one over on the parents. Once she's there she'll have a greattime. If you can't control her now, wait till she's fifteen. If she really doesnt want to "do Disney" let her wait at the hotel pool with her ipod, or go to a waterpark or find something she would enjoy.

My DS pulls this stuff with me every once in awhile, we leave for Disney in 22days and he's of mad that we are going the day after he gets out of school. He always ends up having a really good time when we are there so I really never take it to seriously, and I would never allow him to stay at home with someone else on a family vacation.

I agree that she should go. I would have an honest talk with her now to figure out what is motivating her response and have the chance to change her attitude.

What reasons is she giving for not wanting to go? Maybe pull out some photos from your last trip and remind her how much fun it was for everyone.

Maybe she is just testing you? I have a DD13, I think I would tell her 'you're going - end of discussion'

My DS, who will be 12 in the fall, always complains that he doesn't want to go anywhere, but we drag him anyway and he ends up having a good time.

Although it may just a teenager thing, it could be more. I don't know your child but todays teenagers are far more mature than in the past. She may have other ideas for staying home. Like seeing a boy that you might not approve of. I agree with the other posters. You need to have a frank discussion with her and then decide. I would tell her that since its planned and paid for she will have to go this time. Next year can be discussed when you return and before its planned.

I guess I am the odd one out and say do not force her to go. We did this with my son(7) our last trip. He would ride little to nothing on the things he would cry the entire time in line. I am not talking big rides here I mean Test Track and the Barnstormer for crying out loud. This year he is staying home with his grandparents while we have a girls only trip. Of course the next week is Fall Break so I am flying home Friday working my mandatory weekend repacking our bags and leaving Monday for the Smokey Mountains.

I guess I am the odd one out and say do not force her to go. We did this with my son(7) our last trip. He would ride little to nothing on the things he would cry the entire time in line. I am not talking big rides here I mean Test Track and the Barnstormer for crying out loud. This year he is staying home with his grandparents while we have a girls only trip. Of course the next week is Fall Break so I am flying home Friday working my mandatory weekend repacking our bags and leaving Monday for the Smokey Mountains. That way we get to enjoy our trip to Disney and he gets to go somewhere he likes to.

My 13 yo Ds is a classic whiner. complains about every thing. I ingore him and it and simply tell him there are some things in life he is required to do. Period. He has to go on family vacations and he is not allowed to make every one miserable.
If I left him home, I would end up worrying about him at home and then my vacations ruined. Nah, pack her a bag, smile sweetly and politely say "Welcome to Disney World"

I would be floored if one of my girls said that. "Who are you", I would inquire?

I guess I would want to know why. I don't think I would force her to go if the trip was like a year away. But this close, I would say, "Too Bad, your going."

I have an idea...................

Has the family been making a huge deal about this vacation? IS it possible this is just a ploy to turn the focus from vacation plans to her direction instead? You know, a little drama for the Mama. If you think about, what a better way to get mom and dad's attention.

If it was my daughter (and I've gone my own on the way), I would tell her that she's going and that's final. Remind her of the line from Lilo & Stitch "Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind."

--Mr. DB

She's going. Period. My mom would've looked at me like I was stupid....lol.....she's 12, she'll get over it.

:grouphug: Mother's of pre-teens unite! She's 12, she knows YOU have put a lot into this trip, it's not cool to want what your mom wants, she's 12! She will "get over it" and have a good time on the trip. Well in between being 12 she'll have a good time.:rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter