• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disneyworld after surgery/break

I have used a different company rental but a shower cap over controls was what they had us use and have friends who do that with their own scooter. Disney doesn't call them family restrooms but a lot of people call them that thinking like you do. to hole poncho in place I would think clothes pins or large clips more than rubber bands
Yeah, a lot of people think that they should just send their kids into these because no one else can be in there. The problem is that this takes it away form those who needs it and doesn't teach the child about using public restrooms.

Last edited:
Oops-I thought family restrooms were like the ones at the mall-they usually have a fold down changing table, very low potty and regular commode. I didn’t know that Disney called the handicapped facilities “family”.

Wise advice from an experienced ECV owner, thank you! I noticed those ECV seats are all black. In Florida? Are they kidding? I think I better bring an extra rain poncho for the scooter, too. I was reading on the Gold Mobility website and it said that if the console gets wet, unit will cease to operate. My biggest fear. Maybe a rubber band or two to hold poncho in place over console.

Yep. We never went with kids in strollers (no money way back when) so we’re stroller newbies and ECV newbies. We will definitely be depending on CM’s everywhere for guidance. Thank you!
Gold Mobility provides a cover for them, essentially a shower cap. Although I believe the Maxima model is not supposed to have this issue, but I would still tend to cover it in the rain.

I would seriously switch to Gold, for our dates, there is about a $730 price difference, but even if Gold was the same price I would rent from them over Buena Vista, heck even if they were higher, I would probably still go with them.

While I got everything as close as I could on Buena Vista's ECV, it is still missing the cell phone holder and the undercarriage lighting. But that isn't my biggest complaint, for that, we have to go to the Land Pavilion where we almost did get stuck with a dead ECV that was rented from Buena Vista and it wasn't just that the battery didn't hold a charge all day that was my issue, but also the fact that they took so long to fix the issue.

So my number one tip is use Gold Mobility, then you won't get stuck somewhere and if you somehow do, they will come to you in a timely manner.

Definitely switching today. Waaaaay too many of y’all telling me about getting stuck, especially in EPCOT. My plan is to “plug in” every chance I get!

I have used a different company rental but a shower cap over controls was what they had us use and have friends who do that with their own scooter. Disney doesn't call them family restrooms but a lot of people call them that thinking like you do. to hole poncho in place I would think clothes pins or large clips more than rubber bands

A shower cap! :idea: Perfect!! That advice, along with folding the seat and putting the poncho over the seat and not my back during rainstorms is “gold level” advice. :rolleyes: Nothing more miserable than being soaking wet! And soaking wet with a broken leg and another leg recovering from surgery would not be fun. At. All.

I’ve decided to put all of the wonderful ideas y’all and the folks over at the Community Board plus some ideas of my own into a PTR and eventually a TR. if you feel so inclined, have a look! And thank you for all the terrific tips and hints. You have given me the confidence that we can actually do this, and maybe have some fun besides!

Definitely switching today. Waaaaay too many of y’all telling me about getting stuck, especially in EPCOT. My plan is to “plug in” every chance I get!

A shower cap! :idea: Perfect!! That advice, along with folding the seat and putting the poncho over the seat and not my back during rainstorms is “gold level” advice. :rolleyes: Nothing more miserable than being soaking wet! And soaking wet with a broken leg and another leg recovering from surgery would not be fun. At. All.
With Gold Mobility, there is no need to plug in every chance you get, seriously, went from park opening to park closing several days without even dropping a "bar" on the battery, except Animal Kingdom, it did drop one.

Just make sure you charge every night.

With Gold Mobility, there is no need to plug in every chance you get, seriously, went from park opening to park closing several days without even dropping a "bar" on the battery, except Animal Kingdom, it did drop one.

::yes:: Not just no need, but potentially damaging to the battery!

Ahhh...peace of mind...battery life is number one for me when it comes to the ECV. Buena Vista recommended plugging in frequently.

::yes:: Not just no need, but potentially damaging to the battery!

Of course! How could I forget? I know with the iPhone we’re supposed to keep it between 25-75%.

Just cancelled the Buena Vista rental. Went with Gold Mobility 3 wheel Pride but with the fancy seat that has a headrest (DH insisted). He thinks I’ll be a lot more comfortable. I don’t know...not sure it folds down, but I can bring a beach towel and rig something to keep it on just to keep the seat a little cooler. We have beach towel clips for lounge chairs around here somewhere...that might work...one more thing to put on the packing list!

Gold Mobility also offered one free accessory. I was hoping for a crutches holder just in case but they didn’t so I went for the rear basket instead. They had a sun shade but I’ve never seen anyone use one at Disney (or anywhere else, for that matter) so I was hesitant.

I’ve decided to put all of the wonderful ideas y’all and the folks over at the Community Board plus some ideas of my own into a PTR and eventually a TR. if you feel so inclined, have a look! And thank you for all the terrific tips and hints. You have given me the confidence that we can actually do this, and maybe have some fun besides!
know you can do this with your attitude but the best thing is you asked for advice and listened when it was given if it wasnt what you expected. which makes giving advice easy. all of you guys have a great trip and take lots of pictures. and one last piece of advice make a special photo book just for your granddaughter of all the thing she did on the trip. she may not always remember the trip but the book will remember for her

know you can do this with your attitude but the best thing is you asked for advice and listened when it was given if it wasnt what you expected. which makes giving advice easy. all of you guys have a great trip and take lots of pictures. and one last piece of advice make a special photo book just for your granddaughter of all the thing she did on the trip. she may not always remember the trip but the book will remember for her

Yep, right with ya-she really won’t remember but will definitely like looking at the pictures.

I’ve been thinking about making one of those Shutterfly books. I haven’t made one in several years, and none for the grands, so it’s about time! DH is an amateur photographer, but he tends to take pics of lots of everything, not just the cute grands. Grandma is all about the kids, and I’m armed and ready with my phone! The biggest issue is, for some reason, this DGD will NOT smile at the camera. Serious face only. American Gothic got nothin’ on that kid!

I am so grateful for the DIS and the amazing amount of info available plus all of you! I posted this over on the community forum and received plenty of helpful replies but it’s time to ask the experts here!

First, the trip: May 19-25. Staying at OKW in a 2BDR on rented points. Park hoppers. DH, DD(33), DGD(2.5) and I.

The situation: I had arthroscopic knee surgery on my left knee one week ago. Last Friday, in a fog of anesthesia, I thought I was getting out of bed but instead I fell out of bed. Right fibula, a bone in my foot, and my big toe broke. I will be in an aircast for 6-8 weeks.

So far, we’ve decided to go ahead and go on the trip, but rent a scooter that will be delivered to the resort. Based on some research, we may go with Buena Vista rentals.

My concerns: everything! I’m still on crutches, but maybe I won’t need them at 5 weeks out. Should we use DME? Should we still ride the bus as transportation? Do Minnie vans allow scooters(they’re the only rideshare with car seats for DGD)? Would it be an option if busses are taking forever? Maybe we should rent a car? Where do I park the scooter just to browse in a shop? I am an obsessive, spreadsheet making grandmother who needs details! How do y’all plan your trips in a scooter?
I’m so sorry that happened to you. It’s difficult enough to recover from surgery, but then to break bones on top of it all really stinks.

I hope that you heal quickly and have a wonderful vacation.

Yep, right with ya-she really won’t remember but will definitely like looking at the pictures.

I’ve been thinking about making one of those Shutterfly books. I haven’t made one in several years, and none for the grands, so it’s about time! DH is an amateur photographer, but he tends to take pics of lots of everything, not just the cute grands. Grandma is all about the kids, and I’m armed and ready with my phone! The biggest issue is, for some reason, this DGD will NOT smile at the camera. Serious face only. American Gothic got nothin’ on that kid!
i wont admit how old he is now but one grandson can still tell you about his trip when he was 4 months old. you guessed it he remembers his photo book. the trick is not set up photos but ones when she is riding rides or meeting characters not just when looking at you. you might be surprised at what you get. one of cutest of granddaughter from her 4.5 trip was on 7 Dwarfs very wide eyed not sure of the ride in the ride photo

I’m so sorry that happened to you. It’s difficult enough to recover from surgery, but then to break bones on top of it all really stinks.

I hope that you heal quickly and have a wonderful vacation.

Awwwww....Thank you! We wouldn’t even attempt it but Disney has a stellar reputation for helping everyone adapt. We went to Breckinridge last summer and there’s no possible way I would attempt that vacation! Way too many stairs, hills, mountains, etc.

A tip for a rainstorm- I got caught in AK and by the time I was back at BCV it was raining hard.
I put a CLEAR - not opaque so you can still see the controls - shower cap overthe tiller control. I put one poncho on and over the back of the seat and the hood on. I put a second poncho over the full tiller controller with the hood opening at the dial ( so I could put it open to see covered controls) and onto my covered lap. I drove with my hands under the second poncho.
I stayed, relatively dry, and the scooter was fine. There was a “ puddle” in my lap tho
I bought clear shower caps on Amazon. They are intended for hairdressers doing processing. They have elastic and worked very well. They were cheap too.
One last thought. Many folks here rave about Gold Mobility. (I truly wonder sometimes if some have a financial interest). I agree they sound great. However I have rented many times from Buena Vista. I have NEVER had a battery lose a charge in a park. And that could happen to any scooter. I have had great customer service. After much investigation and thought, I have decided to rent from them again.

Last edited:
A tip for a rainstorm- I got caught in AK and by the time I was back at BCV it was raining hard.
I put a CLEAR - not opaque so you can still see the controls - shower cap overthe tiller control. I put one poncho on and over the back of the seat and the hood on. I put a second poncho over the full tiller controller with the hood opening at the dial ( so I could put it open to see covered controls) and onto my covered lap. I drove with my hands under the second poncho.
I stayed, relatively dry, and the scooter was fine. There was a “ puddle” in my lap tho
I bought clear shower caps on Amazon. They are intended for hairdressers doing processing. They have elastic and worked very well. They were cheap too.
One last thought. Many folks here rave about Gold Mobility. (I truly wonder sometimes if some have a financial interest). I agree they sound great. However I have rented many times from Buena Vista. I have NEVER had a battery lose a charge in a park. And that could happen to any scooter. I have had great customer service. After much investigation and thought, I have decided to rent from them again.

Shower cap. Check. At least 2 ponchos, make it three in case of ripping. Check. :P We’re gonna need a bigger backpack! Just kidding. Florida rain is so unpredictable! If we were going in January I would definitely be concerned about an all day, soaking rain. Hopefully...we get those little pop up storms around 4 and that’s it!

I probably could have stayed with Buena Vista and been perfectly fine. The price, extra free accessories, and reputation led me to Gold Mobility. That, and the fact that when I called Buena originally the young lady was zipping thru her phone “speech” so fast I could barely understand her. I had just a couple of questions and she was ok with answering, but not particularly patient.

I’m writing about the whole experience in a PTR and TR over on the TR board. Maybe all the planning will help somebody someday ( I don’t wish this on ANYBODY!) :rolleyes2

Last edited:
It’s been about 20 years, but we lived in central Florida for a time. I just remember storms every day around 4 pm during summer. They lasted maybe 15 minutes, drove the humidity up, and generally gave us that “tropical” feeling! January thru March was gorgeous as was most of December. But lately on TRs I’ve read it seems like January has turned into a cold, wet month. Maybe just some unlucky travelers’ experiences.

It’s been about 20 years, but we lived in central Florida for a time. I just remember storms every day around 4 pm during summer. They lasted maybe 15 minutes, drove the humidity up, and generally gave us that “tropical” feeling! January thru March was gorgeous as was most of December. But lately on TRs I’ve read it seems like January has turned into a cold, wet month. Maybe just some unlucky travelers’ experiences.

We try to go every January (and then again at least once more during the "warmer" months, because Hi my name is MamaBunny and I have a Disney problem...) and for the last several years we have experienced absolutely lovely weather in January - crisp mornings, sunny afternoons and chilly to cold evenings. Dressing in layers is a *must* and we have learned to bring along lots of lightweight pieces that will allow us to adjust to the wild temperature swings quickly and easily.

We have had a few cloudy days, and one day with light sprinkles (memorable only because it was a "cold" rain in Florida) that lasted all 15? minutes.

Otherwise, January, February and early March tend to be delightful - and dry - in my experience. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter