• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's YACHT & BEACH CLUB RESORTS Information & Questions

I just wanted to let everyone here know that Dee’s ( Natebenma) dear husband of 35 years passed away suddenly yesterday from a heart attack. Dee asked that I let you know. She is understandably heartbroken and devastated by Mark’s death as are their 2 boys. Please keep her and all the family in your thoughts and prayers :hug:

So so sad for Dee. Never met in person but chatted on here and my heart aches for Dee and her boys. Thoughts and prayers are with Dee and her family.

Yesterday’s news has had me struggling for thoughts and words. I don’t know Dee or her family personally, only online. Hard to enjoy something when others are suffering, but I pour one out in remembrance. :sad1:

View attachment 589211
It is so sad. My heart aches for them all. Like you, Dee and I became friends online, through this very thread, and I am so grateful for our friendship over the many years we've known each other. Just so very sad.
I do think Dee and Mark would both want you to enjoy your family/vacation time. He was at heart a family man. So while we are beyond sad for our friend and it is beautiful that you chose to remember Mark on your trip, honor all that he was by enjoying life too :hug:

Last edited:
The exterior work around YC has moved on the more central areas.
So maybe I wasn't paying attention, I definitely saw this news here when folks posted about it, but there was never mention of it on the Yacht Club website, our reservation or via a note in our room - which is quite odd since most stays I’ve had at hotels where work is being done you are notified of the inconvenience. Did I just miss it? We came back last night to a patio covered in construction debris as they are preparing it to be painted.

So maybe I wasn't paying attention, I definitely saw this news here when folks posted about it, but there was never mention of it on the Yacht Club website, our reservation or via a note in our room - which is quite odd since most stays I’ve had at hotels where work is being done you are notified of the inconvenience. Did I just miss it? We came back last night to a patio covered in construction debris as they are preparing it to be painted.
They have been working on the exterior of the Yacht Club for months and months now and we never had a notice in our room. We were there in January, March and May and saw them working back then. I don't know what parameters they use for deciding when a notice of exterior painting is given to guests. But I've noticed that Disney seems to want to keep these things a secret. ;)

Last edited:
That's poor customer service from WDW. A notice that the hotel is being renovated is easy and totally appropriate for guests. Some may choose to move to a different resort, and some may wish to stay because it isn't a big deal. Either way, the guest should be made aware.

That's poor customer service from WDW. A notice that the hotel is being renovated is easy and totally appropriate for guests. Some may choose to move to a different resort, and some may wish to stay because it isn't a big deal. Either way, the guest should be made aware.

Just from past experience, exterior work like this never gets listed on the website & no notices go out to guests. At least I have never seen it in the 20 + years we have stayed at Y & B. The only way we ever hear about exterior work is on this thread. So for WDW, this seems to be SOP. Also, it was reported here that BC was done just before YC was.

Last edited:

If you do decide that you want to try to switch, my advice (not that you asked for it) would be:
a) Use your phone to take a picture of the mold, then
b) Go down to the front desk and show them the picture.

Do NOT try to call the front desk on the phone. Common wisdom here is that your phone will be answered by an off-site call center (even if they answer it with "Yacht Club").
Do this and follow Best Aunt's advice, and ignore my advice about calling the front desk. First, Best Aunt clearly knows her stuff about mold and getting results. Second, she is after all the "Best Aunt", and if you are the "Best" at something we should all be listening.

Do this and follow Best Aunt's advice, and ignore my advice about calling the front desk. First, Best Aunt clearly knows her stuff about mold and getting results. Second, she is after all the "Best Aunt", and if you are the "Best" at something we should all be listening.

Well that made my day. Thanks!

I have been asked about whether there was some way the disboards community could show their support for Dee and she has said I can share Mark’s obituary with you all. As you willl see she asks for no flowers but people may donate to the Michael J Fox foundation in his honor if they wish. Mark’s was a life well lived ❤

The world lost an extraordinary man on Sunday. Mark, age 56, passed away unexpectedly at his home on July 11, 2021. He was married for 35 years to his high school sweetheart and best friend, Dee

He was the son of Nancy and George(Norton) Cote and the late George W. Cote, Jr. After graduating from High School, Mark went on to receive an Electrical Engineering/Computer Science Degree from UNH. He was a brilliant student.

Mark’s first job was testing the Patriot Missile at Raytheon. He then transitioned to software positions at Easel, VSoft and Electric Insurance. In 1998, he joined Groove Networks/Microsoft where he was a highly-respected software development manager. Mark recently retired after 23 dedicated years at Microsoft where he was known for his stellar leadership and incredible talent as a programmer.

Family meant everything to Mark. He was devoted to Dee and constantly supported her. He was so proud of his sons’ successes. He loved to travel, and his family enjoyed incredible trips to Disney, Mexico, Hawaii, Alaska, Yellowstone and many other destinations. The beach was his happy place. He loved to swim, snorkel, cook and cheer for the Patriots.

In addition to his beloved wife and cherished mother, he leaves behind his two amazing sons, Nathan and Benjamin brothers, Gary and Steve and wife Jennifer; father-in-law, Donald; brother-in-law, along with several nieces and nephews, Michael Jessica , Ricky and Ally, many treasured relatives and dear friends. He was predeceased by his sister-in-law, Kathy.

Please, no flowers. If you wish, consider making a donation in his memory to the Michael J. Fox Parkinson’s Foundation

I have been asked about whether there was some way the disboards community could show their support for Dee and she has said I can share Mark’s obituary with you all. As you willl see she asks for no flowers but people may donate to the Michael J Fox foundation in his honor if they wish. Mark’s was a life well lived ❤
If you’d like to donate:
Michael J Fox Foundation
Make sure to select the Tribute option, under Donation Type.

For emailed donation cards, Dee’s email:
beachclubdee@yahoo.com

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter