• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's YACHT & BEACH CLUB RESORTS Information & Questions

Thanks for the review. I stayed at the Yacht Club in October and during my pool day, I finally saw one of the servers, that walk around taking drink orders, after over an hour of being there. I flagged him down and asked him, since I had not seen anyone, if there were specific hours that they worked. He said that he had been there and was responsible for that whole side of the pool but the cabana people kept him so busy that he could not serve everyone else. I hope that they have since added a person to help out, since it sounds like your server was just for you. I felt really bad for the guy because he was running his behind off and he was no spring chicken anymore(neither am I).
We chatted a bit with our cabana/pool server in October. Before the pandemic, she was a server at Cape May. So the pool server gig was quite a change and more physically demanding. She also wasn't a spring chicken. She was working really hard, but it seemed to be taking a toll on her.

We chatted a bit with our cabana/pool server in October. Before the pandemic, she was a server at Cape May. So the pool server gig was quite a change and more physically demanding. She also wasn't a spring chicken. She was working really hard, but it seemed to be taking a toll on her.

I noticed on my trip that many of the returned cast members where older, many well past the age that they could retire. Some of them where even using walkers. I actually had a conversation with my husband about it. I don't know how they decided on who they would bring back, but I got the same impression that you did, that many of these older people are doing jobs that are meant for younger bodied people. Seeing this made me recall a conversation that I had with my grandmother several years ago. We were talking about how retirement age has gone up and how there are many young people without jobs. Her thinking was that older people should retire sooner to give those jobs up to the young. I wish we lived in a Country where you did not have to work well into your 70s. It makes me really sad to see this. I am assuming that their social security checks are not sufficient for them to live off of. But even then, they have rules that if you are collecting your SS, you can only earn so much.

We are headed to the Yacht Club in August 2021, though we’ll switch to the Beach Club if it opens. Can anyone who’s been there recently give me an idea of what the hours are currently for Stormalong Bay?

We did not have a cabana during our Thanksgiving week trip, but were able to order drinks and the hot food as well from the pool server. Those burgers and chicken sandwiches were amazing!

honestly it was one of the best chicken sandwiches I had ever had - I was NOT expecting how good it was, I was just initially grateful to have hot food for our lunch, but man oh man it was yummy and perfectly cooked.

I noticed on my trip that many of the returned cast members where older, many well past the age that they could retire. Some of them where even using walkers. I actually had a conversation with my husband about it. I don't know how they decided on who they would bring back, but I got the same impression that you did, that many of these older people are doing jobs that are meant for younger bodied people. Seeing this made me recall a conversation that I had with my grandmother several years ago. We were talking about how retirement age has gone up and how there are many young people without jobs. Her thinking was that older people should retire sooner to give those jobs up to the young. I wish we lived in a Country where you did not have to work well into your 70s. It makes me really sad to see this. I am assuming that their social security checks are not sufficient for them to live off of. But even then, they have rules that if you are collecting your SS, you can only earn so much.

Disney is a union based company. Those cast members have the highest seniority. Logically that means they are also the oldest. Many servers have 25,30,40+ years of service. Who would voluntarily give up such a lucrative job? They don't normally work a pool cocktail position so the jobs are much easier but post closure, cast were brought back into positions they likely didn't work before.

We have good friends who are CMs as is their daughter. CMs were brought back to work on a "willingness to work anywhere" and "seniority" basis. Their daughter was called back, given a training date and position and then furloughed before she could begin training. While she has more years in with Disney than her parents--they are not consecutive years. She moved to Marriott for a period of time when she was passed over at Disney and later returned to Disney when she was able to make the lateral move back to concierge. All three have indicated that those "older" CMs are there by choice and they are, admittedly, a bit crusty but unwilling to give up their positions.

While we were there in October there was an older gentleman working custodial. He really struggled with the outdoor aspect around the pool area (towels, trash, etc.) due to the heat, but he said that he was just hoping to get back to his original role at some point (he didn't share what that role may have been).

Our two friends have been back to work since Disney re-opened. One went back to the original role and the other went back in the original role (different resort) and has now moved into a park as an educational CM working with the public--where she had hoped to be all along. Their daughter, however, has still not been recalled.

My Dad ( RIP) had a saying...You rest, you rust. A lot of retired folks ( I'm also retired ) like to stay active and continue to work. They are probably long time Disney fans. Us older fans grew up on Wonderful World of Color and the original Mickey Mouse Club.

My Dad ( RIP) had a saying...You rest, you rust. A lot of retired folks ( I'm also retired ) like to stay active and continue to work. They are probably long time Disney fans. Us older fans grew up on Wonderful World of Color and the original Mickey Mouse Club.

I totally get wanting to get out and keep moving. There are plenty of ways to do that. I was just surprised at the amount of elderly, and obviously struggling cast members there were. I don't know these people's situation and if they need the money then of course they do what they need to do. My point is that many are getting social security and you can only earn so much a year in order to keep your benefits. I think that if I did not need the job, I would feel bad taking it away from someone who is younger and has no other income.

I totally get wanting to get out and keep moving. There are plenty of ways to do that. I was just surprised at the amount of elderly, and obviously struggling cast members there were. I don't know these people's situation and if they need the money then of course they do what they need to do. My point is that many are getting social security and you can only earn so much a year in order to keep your benefits. I think that if I did not need the job, I would feel bad taking it away from someone who is younger and has no other income.
From my understanding of SS...over a certain age even if you work you still get the full amount. https://faq.ssa.gov/en-US/Topic/article/KA-01921
Living on a very limited income when you are older is not easy. Jobs for anyone at this point is slim pickings. FWIW...I saw more younger CM's when I was there in Nov. than ones well over retirement age. Sorry for being off topic.

From my understanding of SS...over a certain age even if you work you still get the full amount. https://faq.ssa.gov/en-US/Topic/article/KA-01921

As someone who currently gets SS, I can tell you that in our case, even after both husband and I both had very good jobs for many years before retirement, if SS is all that is coming in after retirement, there is no way most folks can live on just that. Without some other form of income, pension, funds, part time jobs, SS would not cover most basic needs. Some of these folks are more than likely working, at least part time, because they have to.

As someone who currently gets SS, I can tell you that in our case, even after both husband and I both had very good jobs for many years before retirement, if SS is all that is coming in after retirement, there is no way most folks can live on just that. Without some other form of income, pension, funds, part time jobs, SS would not cover most basic needs. Some of these folks are more than likely working, at least part time, because they have to.

And how horrible and sad is it that in a first world Country, this happens. That is my point, no one should HAVE to work at that age.

And how horrible and sad is it that in a first world Country, this happens. That is my point, no one should HAVE to work at that age.
Hope they make good tips.... wait, does Disney allow tipping for the pool servers? I sure hope so!

Hope they make good tips.... wait, does Disney allow tipping for the pool servers? I sure hope so!
We tipped our server pretty well. I felt incredibly bad for her as she seemed to be pretty slammed the day we were there, but she was still so sweet and checked on us often to see how we liked everything and if we had other needs.

Does anyone know how the King rooms are configured at YC? We (2 adults) stayed in a king room at BC and had one king bed and a sofa and coffee table in the room. That set-up was perfect for us and we are hoping for a similar set-up at YC.

(Some photos online showed a king bed with a single chair and ottoman).

Thanks for your insight.

We tipped our server pretty well. I felt incredibly bad for her as she seemed to be pretty slammed the day we were there, but she was still so sweet and checked on us often to see how we liked everything and if we had other needs.
Pre-COVID, even the youngest CMs who were serving at the pool seemed slammed and worked very hard for their pay! I think it's a tough spot no matter how old you are. Especially in the heat! I always thought they could have had more CMS than they ever did working at Stormalong Bay. And I agree, they deserve good tips!

Does anyone know how the King rooms are configured at YC? We (2 adults) stayed in a king room at BC and had one king bed and a sofa and coffee table in the room. That set-up was perfect for us and we are hoping for a similar set-up at YC.

Thanks for your insight.
The king rooms we have been in at the YC have a king bed and a chair. No sofa. However, perhaps there are some rooms with a king and sofa.

Thanks for your insight.
We had a king room with a bed, side chair and small ottoman, and desk with chair. No sofa.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter