Disney's Wish

Article loses all credibility when they don’t understand basic box office math. $100 million box office with $200 million production budget is not “half way to break even”!

$100 M box office x 0.5 = $50 M. Disney gets approximately half of the box office haul and the cinemas get the other half. $50M / $200M = 25% of the way to break even excluding marketing cost. Marketing was likely $100M plus for this movie. Including marketing this movie currently sits at about $250 M in the red.

Insane that so few people and even people in the media have no clue how box office math works!

Article loses all credibility when they don’t understand basic box office math. $100 million box office with $200 million production budget is not “half way to break even”!

$100 M box office x 0.5 = $50 M. Disney gets approximately half of the box office haul and the cinemas get the other half. $50M / $200M = 25% of the way to break even excluding marketing cost. Marketing was likely $100M plus for this movie. Including marketing this movie currently sits at about $250 M in the red.

Insane that so few people and even people in the media have no clue how box office math works!

You are not wrong about it not being halfway, though I think you often overestimate marketing budgets. I think about $50M makes more sense, so we're looking at around $250M total, and $500M to really hit profitability. That doesn't change the fact that is is apparently doing a bit better overseas - I was surprised it even hit $100M. That said, it has a long way to go.

You are not wrong about it not being halfway, though I think you often overestimate marketing budgets. I think about $50M makes more sense, so we're looking at around $250M total, and $500M to really hit profitability. That doesn't change the fact that is is apparently doing a bit better overseas - I was surprised it even hit $100M. That said, it has a long way to go.
Even harder to make money when it does good overseas instead of good in America. Overseas box office share for Disney around 45%, except China which is at 25%.

Path to profit for Disney movies is lower budgets ($150M all in max) and then really good domestic box office.

Never understood chasing China so hard when you only get back around 25% of your haul from them.

Maybe, but most prior Disney movies have had $75M plus for marketing budgets. Maybe they cut Wish by 33%+, but I kinda doubt it. According to Variety Disney spends around $100M to market one of their tentpole films.

Assuming your math is correct it still needs another $400M in the box office to break even. You think it legs out to another $400M?

Last edited:
Maybe, but most prior Disney movies have had $75M plus for marketing budgets. Maybe they cut Wish by 33%+, but I kinda doubt it. According to Variety Disney spends around $100M to market one of their tentpole films.

Assuming your math is correct it still needs another $400M in the box office to break even. You think it legs out to another $400M?

True marketing budgets are hard to know are are often wrapped up with other things, etc. It's more complicated, but not every movie gets a $100M push. I think about a quarter of the production budget is average.

And, no, I didn't say it would. I don't think it will. That's just what it needs to do.

Has it been announced when Wish will debut on Disney+ yet? I haven't heard anything yet about it. I think Wish will be liked even more when it makes it's Disney+ debut

Has it been announced when Wish will debut on Disney+ yet? I haven't heard anything yet about it. I think Wish will be liked even more when it makes it's Disney+ debut

It has not been announced, though they have been waiting longer to release things to streaming. I think it will be at least three months from the release date.

Has a debut date been announced for Wish's Disney+ debut yet? I searched Disney+ for info but all I could find was the trailer

Has a debut date been announced for Wish's Disney+ debut yet? I searched Disney+ for info but all I could find was the trailer

They announced digital & Blu-ray for sale dates - January 23 for digital and March 12 for disc - but not the Disney+ date yet. It will be after that.

I was thinking it’ll do better on DisneyPlus, but now, I‘m not so sure. I guess Wish will be forgotten Disney movie as The Black Cauldron and Strange World.:sad:

We finally have a release date for Wish on DVD and it will be released on March 12th so mark your calendars. But no announcement date has been set for Wish's Disney+ debut

It has been announced that Wish will officially debut on Disney+ April 3rd. So be prepared to mark your calendars

Wish officially made it's debut on Disney+ today? Are you planning to watch it today? If so tell me what you think of it
Dodger

I saw it in theatehrs, but am looking forward to watching it again - probably this weekend.

I got to see Wish today and from the moment I saw it I was impressed with the animation and the way they drew it was really beautiful and when Wish begins you'll notice the intro is modeled after Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs's intro with the storybook and also the debut episode of Disney's Elena Of Avalor in the opening scene where Elena begins her story. On Asha herself Ariana DeBose shows her talent well and you can see a lot of Ariana in Asha and Chris Pine is flawless as the king and where Chris Pine and Ariana DeBose shine is in the song At All Costs which has an R&B feel to it and with Chris's singing talents Chris Pine could easily be an R&B singer. I think Asha is a great role model for girls because she wants to be independent but like me Asha never agrees with anything people say to her and wants to do things her own way and I think that's why she was so eager to meet the king. I loved the This Wish scene and was singing along when it began and it's a really inspiring song. I would've watched the rest of Wish but I had to eat dinner but from what I saw of Wish it's great

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter